Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Randy in AGS

Nov 8, 2002, 3:37 PM

Post #1 of 120 (32768 views)

Shortcut

What can you do when the Police are the drug dealers in a town?

|
Hello: I guess this kind of follows Keiths rant about crime in the countryside.

A few days ago, we had lunch with the ex-presidente (ex-mayor) of a small, beautiful town in the los Altos region of eastern Jalisco, who is one of our main clients. We talked business (dairy cows) for a time, then shifted to issues facing the seemingly tranquil, beautiful, undiscovered colonial town. What he said shocked all of us; now that it is harder to smuggle drugs into a post 9/11 USA, the Narcos in their misguided wisdom are developing new markets in Mexico. At least in this small town, the Police are being used as the distributors and developing a client base of teenagers. Drug use among teens is really a big problem in this formerly tranquil town. The ex-presidente, who is a serious man and known as a law & order, lights out in the cantinas early man, is deeply pained by this. He basically can do nothing.

I post this not to start any flame wars on the authenticity of my report, as it is verifiable. I post it to prove the point that no matter what the official line is on how police corruption is evaporating, nothing could be further from the truth.

JudyinKC

Nov 8, 2002, 4:00 PM

Post #2 of 120 (32172 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Randy in AGS] What can you do when the Police are the drug dealers in a town?

|
Are you saying this is happening in Los Altos or Aguascalientes? (You kind of lost me there.)

Randy in AGS

Nov 8, 2002, 4:08 PM

Post #3 of 120 (32168 views)

Shortcut

In a small town in los Altos...

|
Hi Judy: I assume if it is happening in a small, beautiful, colonial town which looks tranquil on the outside, it is also happening in other small towns & cities throughout Mexico.

Georgia

Nov 8, 2002, 5:05 PM

Post #4 of 120 (32139 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Randy in AGS] In a small town in los Altos...

| Private Reply
This general situation (increase of drug use among youth in Mexico) was reported on in Yahoo News this week. So, your observation apparently applies to many a town in Mexico. Apparently, Fox is aware of it and has annoounced that action will be taken. I wish him well.

Rolly

Nov 8, 2002, 6:37 PM

Post #5 of 120 (32106 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] In a small town in los Altos...

| Private Reply
Youth drug use seems to be rampant in my town, as is petty theft to support it. Just tonight on my way home a was flagged down by a young man that has worked on my house project a few times and who I thought was one of the straight shooters. He had a cassette player he wanted to sell to me for 20 pesos. Makes me sad.

Rolly Pirate

keith

Nov 8, 2002, 8:31 PM

Post #6 of 120 (32072 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] In a small town in los Altos...

|
What kinds of drugs are you seeing in your towns? The reason I ask is that for the last couple of years I've been hearing about (and even been offered a couple of times) white powders (I've declined--not for me) which are supposed to be coke. My take on this situation is that pot goes out and somewhere along the distribution route, it crosses path with cocain which then takes a turn and heads back in the direction the pot came from until it finally reaches even the most remote parts of the canyons. I tell anyone I can in our neighborhood, "watch out, one of these times it's going to be methamphetamines, and then we are really in trouble." So what I'm wondering, Randy and Rolly, and anyone else out there in small towns, is what you are seeing pot, or is it white powders, and if it is white powders, is it coke or is it meth or what?

Rolly

Nov 8, 2002, 9:33 PM

Post #7 of 120 (32047 views)

Shortcut

Re: [keith] In a small town in los Altos...

| Private Reply
Both pot and coke. They say the white stuff is coke. I don't use it myself, but from what I have observed of those who do, I'd say it is coke and not meth. Overall, I think alcohol continues to be the major abuse drug.

Rolly Pirate

marcella

Nov 8, 2002, 10:44 PM

Post #8 of 120 (32029 views)

Shortcut

Re: [keith] In a small town in los Altos...

|
Hmmm....I think that cocaine is really white and powdery and that methampetamines (meth, crystal,crank or whatever you want to call it) are usually in rock form meaning that they are hardened and the grains of the drug are stuck together. I live in Arkansas (which is the fromer meth capital of the WORLD) if you're wondering why I seem to know so much about it. Cocaine of course comes from the coco plant and makes your mouth and lips numb. Meth usually comes from some cracked out persons bathtub-lol and can have any number of ingredients usually involving ephedrine and battery parts and anhydrous ammonia(these things are very very bad for you) Personally I wouldnt worry about meth becomming a problem in Mexico cause its very very hard to manufature it in hot and hummid climates. Anyway, if you're ever in doubt and u want to know if what you're seeing is cocaine just put a very small amout on the tip of your tounge (if it goes numb its probably coke), I don't think anyone has ever died from putting a very small amount of thier tounge....Keep in mind that both of thses drugs are usually "laced" meaning that they are dilluted to make the stuff go farther (good for the seller) but not neccesarily good for you:( Anyway I experimented with coke and meth when I was in high-school and I can tell you first hand that most of my old friends ended in in jail, overdosed or are total loosers now, and they look like they're like 40 even though they're in their 20's:( Also, I lived in Costa Rica for 10 years and saw plenty of coke but never any meth. Anyway.....

xoxo

marcella

Nov 8, 2002, 10:49 PM

Post #9 of 120 (32014 views)

Shortcut

Re: [marcella] In a small town in los Altos...

|
Yes Rolly! I could't agree with you more!!! Anything in moderation:) I drink a little myself, but alcohol can do terrible things:( I would say that it is definately the most problamatic drug that I have come into contact with..... and I don't care who does what as long as I dont get shot or anything:) Personally I think that if guns are illegal then only criminals will have them, if drugs are illegal then criminals will have the monoply...oh well:(

xoxo

Don

Nov 9, 2002, 7:32 AM

Post #10 of 120 (32000 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Randy in AGS] What can you do when the Police are the drug dealers in a town?

| Private Reply
Mexico seems to be just starting to realize that drugs are not just passing through Mexico to The U.S., but many are staying and being consumed in Mexico. I also agree with Rolly and believe that alcohol is a bigger problem at this time. Although there is much corruption in Mexico, not all police or politicians are corrupt. Mexico is making some progress to clean up corruption, but it won't be done over night. It will take years and then it will never all go away. Just is Seattle last month a veteran police officer was arrested for being a drug dealer. He is in jail and they will never use his badge number again because of want he did wearing it. So, we shouldn't brand all police or politicians here in Mexico as being corrupt. Many are, but hopefully the ones that aren't, will work for a better Mexico.

MarisolEnPlayas

Nov 9, 2002, 10:31 AM

Post #11 of 120 (31935 views)

Shortcut

|
if you are an american citizen, i would stay out of it. my husband once was a gang member, who dealt in this, i can tell you that the amount of money involved merits that it is dangerous to even attempt to get involved in this. when my husband was arrested and sent to prison, he was dealing arms on both sides of the border and had over seven hundred thousand dollars in assets, which were rightfully confiscated, because of his corrupt lifestyle. he was at the time considered an old school or o.g. but he wasn't even high on the chain of this element. he was dealing not only with corrupt police but mafiosos and ever member of his gang was eventually murdered. he had been in one of Los angeles's toughest gangs, and they have spread from los angeles throughout latin america now.

fortunately for us, my husband changed his life when he was arrested and now is a decent person, who even tries to help gang members get out of gangs. many of the cartels are even run from the u.s. prisons, where they mandate many principles under the guise of brown pride movements that have more power than many u.s. politicians. with this power and money, they can easily purchase the police and continue their business. many of the wealthy areas in mexico have people you would consider normal living there, who don't even look like gang members, but they are involved in the cartel.

the truth is unfortunately, that many politicians on both sides of the border are purchased by this brown pride movement. you can imagine how appealing it is to have hundreds of thousands of dollars thrown at you, when you are used to making about sixty or ninety dollars a week. where i live in playas, three of my neighbors are operating under this type of corruption. one is a policeman that sells cars, jet skis, and assorted other items that he confiscates and has some rather valuable assets. another launders money. i know this, because they tried to get my husband involved in their business, since he still has the tattoos from his gang days on him and they confused him for still being a member. the last one is involved in drugs. this has been going on for years, and is known to most mexicans.

my tendency, is to stay as far away from the corruption as i can and my husband as well. we've seen too many people killed over this. i find it particulary repulsive as most of you, because i wasn't raised around gangs at all, and honestly, i wasn't inclined to date my husband when i met him because he had been in a gang.

for your own safety, i would stay out of it and let the mexican government clean up their own country. i agree with you about how sad it is...and it's even more tragic when the drugs are sold to children. but americans don't properly understand how organized this really is and how deep it goes or even where it is rooted...which is often in the u.s. prisons.

MarisolEnPlayas

Nov 9, 2002, 11:27 AM

Post #12 of 120 (31914 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MarisolEnPlayas] What can you do when the Police are the drug dealers in a town?

|
i read my post and realized how it sounded. i want to clarify one thing. most people involved in Atzlan and Brown Pride movements are not involved in this sort of lifestyle or even condone it. We promote pride, but our involvement is in an area where we promote education, culture, and positive elements of Latino culture.

My husband has a business now, which deals in art. We have both pursued education in the arts and try to use this media to help the young gang members who are deported after serving time and live in tijuana. we feel that part of the problem with gang involvement is a feeling of no hope in the future and no window to what their life can really develop into. that was the problem with my husband, who lived in the u.s. illegally from the time he was fourteen and hence joined a gang for some feeling of belonging and self identity. we feel through education, latinos can achieve some sense of equality both in the u.s. and mexico.

unfortunately, we don't have the financial backing to equal the forces you are mentioning. one thing we do have though is an enormous amount of pride and love of our culture.

most of the problems with corruption in mexico have to do with the inequity of social classes and inequity of economic opportunity, just like in the u.s. until the mexican government can fix this, you will have the problem you identified. that's why most people in the brown pride movements believe in promoting community involvement. what you can do as an american citizen living in mexico, is help to educate children as to the positive elements of achieving education and pride in their culture. i believe that vicente fox is doing this and i support him in his efforts. he is an incredible example of how mexico can change and as it does, much like the gangs in los angeles have gone from a high degree of exposure to a much more understated approach now, you will see the same here. our hopes are that with the level of deportations, and the poverty associated with the deportations, children will see that gang involvement and corruption is not a viable alternative.

Pernel

Nov 9, 2002, 11:55 AM

Post #13 of 120 (31928 views)

Shortcut

What about the "ThinnerHeads" & Oaxaca Cops

|
Hey,
Another HUGE subject with no REAL answers......
1. What about the amout of thinner sold to juveniles all across Mexico at almost every Ferreteria for less than 25Cents U$?
2. I personally KNOW that in parts of coastal Oaxaca, the 'Mota" dealers often have a female relative boffing a state policeman, who in turn protects that family and SUPPLIES that family as well.
3. How about the mota dealer who sells to you and then sez "Here's my card, in case you have ANY TROUBLE with the police, call me, my brother is a judge in xxxxxxx and has good friends in the PRI"?
4. What about that well armed army partol squad who catches you smoking a joint on the beach, and takes a $100 dollar "Immediate Fine" from you and goes off SMILING?
5. Or the hustler blatantly smoking a joint on the streets of Tijuana, in front policemen, who claims "I grew up in the Zona, they NEVER F*%K with us!
6. These are ALL TRUE stories and they go on and on.....

Praying to the Virgen of Guadelupe for Justice,
Pernel S Thyseldew
www.digthatcrazyfarout.com

tony ferrell

Nov 9, 2002, 8:56 PM

Post #14 of 120 (31868 views)

Shortcut

Tabloid Randy in AGS] You want an answer? Can you handle an answer??

|
Just like a tabloid you post a eye catching title,
claim to have verification and present nothing.
What exactly are you claiming? All the police are
dealing drugs? Some? One? What is your proof?
Do you really want to know what to do? Or are you
still pretending to to be concerned about Mexico by
posting rumors and opinions as fact??
This isn't a flame any more than your post is.
If you have proof then maybe you should do what
you would do in the US when cops here deal drugs.
Call the police, call the newspaper, go to the mayors office. In other words put up or shut up! Then post the results. Then you post will have some meaning.
Don't forget to bring your proof. And please don't
reply with the old conspiracy theory that EVERYONE
in the Mexcian gov't is crooked. Personally I am surprised
at the amount of serious replies you recv'd. tony ferrell

MarisolEnPlayas

Nov 10, 2002, 7:04 AM

Post #15 of 120 (31816 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tony ferrell] Tabloid Randy in AGS] You want an answer? Can you handle an answer??

|
I agree tony, and I am tired of the idea that all Mexican cops are corrupt as well. I would suggest that some are and many are not, the same as in the U.S.

Corruption is always defined in such simplistic terms and unfortunately rumors tend to fan the fire. This whole idea that Mexico has more corruption than every other country tends to grow tiresome. If that's the case, then why do so many Americans live here? Are we to assume that they like corruption? Hardly!

Randy in AGS

Nov 10, 2002, 1:07 PM

Post #16 of 120 (31752 views)

Shortcut

My question was a rhetorical question posed to me by the ex-presidente...

|
...of a small, picturesque town in los Altos de Jalisco. We were talking over lunch and the ex-presidente, who was a law and order type when he was in office, was exasperated with the situation and basically posed that question to us.

I never said that ALL police & politicians are corrupt in Mexico; what I should have said to clarify to you and the other, more volatile poster above, is that Mexico has a long way to go yet to clean up police corruption and that there is always a new temptation around the corner.

The above poster likes to twist my words around and usually posts juvenile threats; I have learned to ignore him over time, yet he persists! To each his own. I am however reminded about one instance where I said I tire of seeing people with bad 'educacion' (poor manners) throw garbage on the street. He thought I was calling them ignorant, without education. Well, anyone living here or having a good knowledge of Spanish knows the differance between 'mal-educados' and education. Anyway, he/she is a good example of why I don't post in public how to verify this, because frankly there are some real strange cats on these boards (being civil). If you want verification, just e-mail me and I will give you the name of the town and you can go there and ask yourself. Some things in Mexico are true, whether or not you have a website to back it up with.

Thanks for your well thought out and civil responses.

tony ferrell

Nov 10, 2002, 9:43 PM

Post #17 of 120 (31701 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Randy in AGS] My question was a rhetorical question posed to me by the ex-presidente...

|
Randy,
No one put words in your mouth, I merely asked the
questions. Sorry you feel the need to back away
from your post. You did well to cover your rear by now saying
that it was an ex-presidente who you were quoting.
Which if true, and I repeat IF one wants to believe an
expresidente would openly talk about drug dealing
by the police dept that was under his previous
jurisdiction to a gringo that barely understands spanish. Why aren't you afraid for yor life that you
know police that are doing this? Don't you think
posting your "insider" info to the rest of the world
could be dangerous if they found out? Funny how in the end you tell me to verify it myself.
Seems in reality you have no town, no proof,
that can be verified. Yet it doesn't stop you from
making these claims.

Like the previous poster said this
stuff gets tiresome and frankly I get tired of pointing
out the holes in your story. On the other hand I feel
it is my duty to try to point out obviously bias
misinformation. No one especially me is saying
Mexico is without problems, however I also feel it is
terrible to exagerate and post Mexicos problems. Especially when the country you and I come from
has many of the same problems that we cannot fix ourselves. Just some advice, when you can figure
out how to fix the same problems in the US, try
applying that same fix to Mexico. Then tell us your
conclusion. Until then please spare us your guise
of liking and respecting mexico. It is obvious you
are VERY bias. tony

MarisolEnPlayas

Nov 12, 2002, 10:23 AM

Post #18 of 120 (31590 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Randy in AGS] My question was a rhetorical question posed to me by the ex-presidente...

|
Hello there,

Thank you for your explanation. Iím glad it isnít assumed that Mexican police are as corrupt as the general public in the U.S. tends to believe, because just like in America, corruption exists within the individual and there are many honorable individuals that live by high moral standards in both the U.S. and MexicoÖpolice included. My problem with some of these sites, is that more American opinion is rendered than actual fact about Mexico. Also, as a Latina, I realize that many of these opinions are based primarily on personal limited experience and a biased perception, much as many Mexicans who cross to the U.S. approach social aspects of the U.S. in the same way.

Sadly, this tends to create a fairly inaccurate view of the subject. For instance, Iíve seen Americans interpret songs done by Latin artists in a completely inaccurate manner, thinking that since they spoke Spanish, they truly understood. Yet, the literal interpretation is so different than the actual meaning. Iíve even read posts here referring to Latinos as a ďviolentĒ culture, with some pretty humorous reasoning behind it, and the person posting sent me a private message to ďexplain furtherĒ the reasons he felt we were more violent. What he didnít assimilate, were the root causes behind some of the violence, such as many of the disparities in lifestyle, economic levels, housing, education, and such a myriad of OTHER reasons that it would paint a clearer picture and make his analogy look rather silly.

Sometimes a site like this is similar to a painting. If you paint a canvas with too few lines, the interpretation of the painting can be based on the observer and vary greatly. Colors in the painting can even be interpreted by various individuals as different moods and change the meaning. I would suggest to you that those of us that grew up with Latin parents might perceive parts of our culture from a very different perspective than an American that even lived in the area for a lengthy time. For instance in the U.S the color yellow, is interpreted as a primary bold color, that often makes people uncomfortable when used in homes and the Latino community often finds the color yellow to be a warm, inviting color, that provides a sense of comfort. Given the two different cultures, the interpretation of a painting using this color could be vastly different. While I feel itís wonderful that Americans learn our culture and spend time assimilating into it, I think you might find that most psychologists would tell you, that your perspective would often be quite different than ours. This is wonderful though, as we gain the opportunity to see our culture through a whole new set of eyes and learn about ourselves.

This is precisely why I would like to see Mexico explained to others by Mexicans rather than Americans. I think the reality would be vastly different. I do like an American perspective, because it provides an opinion that many other Americans may reach, due to a limited exposure of Latino culture through their life. But I would love to see more Mexicans involved in this site with factual information as well. As an American with Mexican family, I feel I could certainly learn a great deal about Mexico as well. Presently, Iím finding that the clubs I belong to who are primarily Latino, present such a vastly different approach to Mexico, that itís quite educational.

Marisol

Randy in AGS

Nov 12, 2002, 1:15 PM

Post #19 of 120 (31598 views)

Shortcut

Acceptance into Mexican society...

|
Hello: Thanks for listening to my explanation. My reason for posting this information was not a blanket condemnation of all Police everywhere in Mexico, but just for the simple fact that I found it interesting that the Police were in on the distribution of drugs, when they should be on the side of right. I should say that the ex-presidente is a cousin of my brother-in law, who was also present at this business lunch as he is an important part of our Dairy Supplement business. My wife was also present, as was the ex-presidente's son and my boss from BCS. This drug dealing did not occur under the ex-presidente's watch; it commenced after he was out of office.

I too am an Estadounidense with a big Mexican family here in Jalisco, Aguascalientes and Queretaro states. I lived and worked for one year in Arandas, a small town of 40,000 in the los Altos region of eastern Jalisco. My family is originally all from this area. It has been a learning and growing experience for me, probably one of the best experiences of my life. We are currently living and working in the beautiful state of Aguascalientes, and nothing (except possibly my ailing Mothers health back in Oregon) could drag us out of this area...nothing! We love it here, and although the city of Aguascalientes is growing and changing rapidly, it is still basically an undiscovered (by Gringos) gem.

I also like to report on the good things that I see here. I like this board for that fact; that I have not met any Gringos yet that live here full time that we can be friends with (I was the only Gringo living in Arandas), so I like to tell this board what I see. Some complain and whine like the above poster; one other poster likes to call my posts drivel. But what keeps me going is a great number of really nice, non bitter folks I have met through e-mail that live here in Mexico, Canada and the USA. I like to help out anyone with what has become a passion for me now, that being Mexico; good, bad or indifferant.

In Arandas, I played on a Soccer team for men over 38 years old (Club Campestre; Liga de Veteranos de Futbol) that garnered second place in los Altos. I should say I had team mates who lived in INFONAVIT, ranchers and businessmen who drove Jaguars; our team cut across socio-economic lines. These former team mates are now lifelong friends. We helped my Aunt out with an annual Christmas Posada that she throws each year for poor kids in Arandas and also helped her out at the Old Folks home where she volunteers. We help where needed; right now it is on the Dairy farms of Jalisco, Aguascalientes and Zacatecas states, where we have started a struggling Dairy Cow Supplement distributorship for a Mexican company based in BCS. I have what must be one of the best jobs in the world!

I hope this helps you to understand where I am coming from in my observations. I came to Mexico, and Mexico has changed me for the better.

Gary sculptari

Nov 12, 2002, 2:55 PM

Post #20 of 120 (31562 views)

Shortcut

|
I have been following this post with interest, and I wanted to add a point - in support of the ex-presidente. What he might be trying to communicate, with difficulty, is the movement among important political circles in Canada and US, to legalise/decriminalise marijuana. This will have been discussed at senior political/lawmaker levels in Mexico as well. This cuts across political boundaries - I believe one its strongest proponents, with a popular book on this subject, is a prominent Republican senator. It is a rational study of what could/would happen if government -(the police in a simplistic way) - took over the distribution of marijuana, in much the same way they regulate alcohol and tobacco. The cost savings, the 'society' savings, and the bite out of organised (and not so organised) crime is significant and persuasive.

I am not qualified, or willing, to get into a detailed debate on this subject, I just wanted to communicate that this notion of using police to monitor and control a government regulated soft drug trade has a lot of supporters. One of the most famous warriors of all time said 'know your enemy' and if there is to be a 'war' on drugs, this is a good strategy. This is why, for example, the government controls alcohol and tobacco - they hope they can better influence/control over society - for their own good. Of course the cynics might see it as just another government cash cow - but then again, why not 'tax' the consumers rather than pay out tax $$ for court costs, etc. This summer, the legalisation (government control) of marijuana in Canada came as close as it has ever been to becoming law.

Randy, it would be interesting for you to contact this man again on these issues - maybe buy him that book. It would be unfair to this man's reputation, and his family, if you took this in an entirely negative light. It is as scandolous as if the man said 'I love kids' and you took this to mean he is a pedophile! I would clear this up for your own reputation as much as ex-presidente's - as a new businessman, you don't need to make powerful enemies with government connections.

Heres an interesting link

http://religion-cults.com/drugs/prominent.htm

Fox himself is on record for decriminalising

(This post was edited by Gary sculptari on Nov 12, 2002, 3:09 PM)

Todd DF

Nov 12, 2002, 3:17 PM

Post #21 of 120 (31554 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Randy in AGS] Acceptance into Mexican society...

|
Hey Randy......what part of Oregon are you from?? I'm from Dallas (near Salem) now living in D.F.

tony ferrell

Nov 12, 2002, 3:40 PM

Post #22 of 120 (31551 views)

Shortcut

What you really were trying to say.....

|
Thanks for the explanation. It is now clear that you
posted the claim of an ex-presidente (read politician) who claims that illegal drug dealing was
not done under his watch but under someone elses
term in office. This ex-presidente is a cousin of your brother-in law. I think I understand why you are
so sensitive to my further questioning. Sorry.

In the future please think twice about posting
family based rumors as fact! I know JenniferR allows
you alot of leeway but you should be more up front
about the source of your "facts".

Just a reading suggestion, you might want look up
some of the documented corruption of the PRI
party in Mexico. It will give you a better understanding
of the relationship between Mexico's politics and police. tony

MarisolEnPlayas

Nov 12, 2002, 4:19 PM

Post #23 of 120 (31530 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gary sculptari] What can you do when the Police are the drug dealers in a town?

|
God help us all! The benefits?

As a Latina, I feel that Marijuana is a tool that is used by many governments for social genocide. It is distributed to keep economically challenged areas depressed and basically complacent with inequities. If you keep the "little people" high and functioning at a minimal level, you don't have any uprising or disrest. Instead of nurturing a human need for reaching their potential, you nurture a chemical need for feeling numb. Not exactly the stuff that success stories are made of, eh?

One of the principles my husband and I teach the gang members that leave gangs, is what REAL Latin pride is...pride in yourself, your culture, and your family! Nobody that has a high degree of pride in themself, needs a plant to numb their emotions or thoughts. It only numbs the painful experiences temporarily and drains one's pocket of financial resources better used to help one's family...especially in Mexico, where financial resources are less available than in the U.S. We believe ANY drugs offered in minority communities are a vehicle to control that community and negate their capability to reach their potential...therefore it is a form of genocide.

A better answer in our minds, is to nurture the need to learn and feed curiosity. When you are busy doing this, you rarely have time for inconsequential things like pot. And with the nurturing of knowledge, one learns that they hunger for more and more knowledge and suddenly, you have a community that has successful contributing people.

The success stories we've had with gang members involved leaving the mota behind and taking pride in their health, mind, body and spirit. The sad stories we have involve continued need for drugs, including marijuana, and the accepted laziness and denial that accompanies this drug. Many of these kids end up crossing the border and going to prison or even getting shot, because they choose a lifestyle that is simple, easy, relaxed, and also dangerous. Why? Because pot is mentally addictive and with prolonged daily use, causes a lack of ambition. judgement, and the ability to take on challenges.

I love my culture too much to accept the legalization of this very destructive substance!

Randy in AGS

Nov 12, 2002, 6:02 PM

Post #24 of 120 (31508 views)

Shortcut

Home in Oregon

|
Hey Todd: I am out of the La Grande area in rural Union County. I have been in Mexico for almost two years now, with a break in the summer of 2001 to work fighting Forest Fires to make some Honeymoon money. When we go back to Oregon (to retire or just to live), I would like to live in either Wallowa or Baker County.

I love it here in AGS though. This is (for me) the best part of Mexico. A clean, safe and historic city ringed by beautiful mountain scenery. I just discovered a Sierra within one hour of AGS city, and my wife and I are going camping together for the first time later this week. She has never been camping, so it should be quite an experience for her, especially in the freezing mountain air at night now.

I have some friends from Dallas who went to Salt Creek Baptist Church. I always thought it would be a nice town to live in.

How did you end up in DF, and what do you do there?

MarisolEnPlayas

Nov 13, 2002, 4:09 AM

Post #25 of 120 (31538 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Randy in AGS] Acceptance into Mexican society...

|
Rancy,

One question. If you have family that is from Mexico, why do you refer to yourself as a "Gringo?" I've never met any Latinos that did that. Is your family through marriage possibly?

Anyway, it sounds like you've had some wonderful opportunities to experience Mexican culture. The fact that you are concerned about the spread of drugs or the sale of drugs by police does not offend me at all!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4