Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

johang

Oct 4, 2011, 10:59 PM

Post #1 of 27 (12081 views)

Shortcut

Flights to Mexico - availability suggests a busy season ahead

Can't Post | Private Reply
Some of you will remember the article I did last year about booking the best flights on line.

Looking back at the data collected last year I found some interesting facts. The one that puzzles me is about the interpretation of this graph:

which suggests to me that more people will be coming to Mexico than last year. I would be interested in alternative interpretations of the graph so if you have the time to ponder the data please take a look at the article and let me know if you see other ways to interpret it.

I only look at one origin and destination but I would be surprised if other areas don't exhibit the same characteristics.

Just in case you don't have time to read it: The article also concludes you better book early.

I am having trouble embedding the link but the article is here: http://jaltembajalapeno.com/2011/10/04/flying-to-mexico-%e2%80%93-better-book-early/ and if that doesn't work you can use the link below.

Johan....If we all do a little we can do a lot. Visit our little corner of paradise at the Jaltemba Jalapeño.

(This post was edited by johang on Oct 4, 2011, 11:13 PM)

whynotwrite

Oct 5, 2011, 7:07 AM

Post #2 of 27 (12029 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johang] Flights to Mexico - availability suggests a busy season ahead

This comes as no real surprise for a few reasons. Besides the fact Mexico has the best beaches and weather, the peso valuation makes Mexico a huge bargin. People seem to be a bit tried of the whole drug war media hype, especially after it was revealed "Fast and Furious" supplied weapons to cartels. I see a strong return to Mexico this winter, not quite like the old days but the start of a deserved recovery.

chinagringo

Oct 5, 2011, 8:02 AM

Post #3 of 27 (12017 views)

Shortcut

I think that you might just come to a different conclusion if it was accepted that there are really two Mexicos when it comes to tourism. For a major portion of the Gringo tourists, Mexico means: Baja, Puerta Vallarta, Mazatlan, Cancun, Cozumel, Manzanillo, in other words the beach resorts. These are relatively compact areas with economies that are very reliant on the tourist income. With the exception of the southern resorts of Acapulco and Zihuatenejo, the resort areas have been somewhat immune from the bad press NOB. There are numerous factors that may be encouraging a renewed interest in the above areas and that speaks well for a better tourist season.

On the other hand, there is a much larger portion of Mexico that is really hurting from the lack of tourists! As is our habit, we once again traveled throughout the Central Mexico States of Michoacan, Guanajuato and the Guadalajara area in the month of August. Not only were the reduced numbers of tourist very evident but conversations with business contacts resulted in a depressing consensus. It is very telling when one reads that tourism is down 70% since 2007 in San Miguel de Allende according to a report in the Mexican Press. The lack of tourists in Patzcuaro, Santa Clara del Cobre, San Miguel de Allende, Dolores Hidalgo, Tlaquepaque, and Tonala was quite obvious when compared to previous Augusts. This trend is negatively affecting a much great portion of the population base.

As far as airfares goes, I am personally seeing better airfares this time of year for travel between now and the end of the year into the Central Mexico cities than I was able to find for travel back in August. Part of that may be because other carriers have picked up some of the capacity formerly provided by Mexicana and now have planes to fill? I subscribe to various travel deal notifications and am seeing new deals almost every day into Central Mexico. Granted one has to work hard at finding the best available deal but the effort can pay off.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

skier14

Oct 5, 2011, 9:05 AM

Post #4 of 27 (11997 views)

Shortcut

My wife and I just returned from San Diego, CA to Guadalajara, Mexico via Volaris October 1st. Return trip cost including taxes and fees was $81 USD each. Outbound to SAN was $107 USD each. Neither flight was more than one-half full.

Bennie García

Oct 5, 2011, 9:48 AM

Post #5 of 27 (11983 views)

Shortcut

The increase, if there truly is one, in air travel could also be some people flying instead of driving.

chinagringo

Oct 5, 2011, 9:52 AM

Post #6 of 27 (11980 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] Flights to Mexico - availability suggests a busy season ahead

You could count us in that category. First time we have not driven since 2005.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

johang

Oct 5, 2011, 12:11 PM

Post #7 of 27 (11953 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Flights to Mexico - availability suggests a busy season ahead

In Reply To
I think that you might just come to a different conclusion if it was accepted that there are really two Mexicos when it comes to tourism. ...

I have to agree with that Neil. It will be interesting to see if any increased traffic filters out to our community which, although full of beautiful beaches, is still well off the beaten track.

I too am flying after a number of years of driving so that may also be at play. Are there lots of others who have changes their mode of transport?

And yes I too sense a tiring and editing out of the bad news especially among Canadians. The deals are just TOOOO good to resist. Where else can you vacation cheaper than staying at home? (rhetorical, I don't need a list, thanks.)

Johan....If we all do a little we can do a lot. Visit our little corner of paradise at the Jaltemba Jalapeño.

jrpierce

Oct 5, 2011, 12:51 PM

Post #8 of 27 (11939 views)

Shortcut

Great discussion y'all, with good points by everyone. I agree about the two Mexicos, Neil. We are vacationing at the coast (Ixtapa) with US friends in February and found lots of places already booked up, while here in Morelia where we live, there is a serious shortage of tourists.

Benny, that is a great piece of analysis about people flying rather than driving. While that has probably always been true for the coastal resorts south of Baja, I do think more folks who travel to central Mexican destinations, at least based on what I'm hearing, are flying. We know some Canadians who spend several months a year here for whom this is a difficult choice as not having a car would be an expensive problem. I wonder if more folks will start leaving cars here for that purpose.

Jim

chinagringo

Oct 5, 2011, 1:25 PM

Post #9 of 27 (11929 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jrpierce] Flights to Mexico - availability suggests a busy season ahead

Jim:

After paying out $10,500MXN for the rental car we used on our trip, we are now giving consideration to purchasing a Mexico plated vehicle that we will leave in country for future trips. We just don't see the conditions on our normal driving route improving enough to think about driving anytime in the near future. Since it was our first visit to Morelia, we have no way to compare. But I can say that we only saw one obvious couple of Japanese tourists in Patzcuaro in six nights of staying there. Old story for you but I attended the final day of the Copper Festival and the bread vendor was all excited because he had spotted three Gringos at the far end of the plaza.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

jrpierce

Oct 5, 2011, 1:40 PM

Post #10 of 27 (11923 views)

Shortcut

Interesting, Neil.... Maybe you could find someone in and out of Mexico with a car here that you could "share" to keep costs down.

You may recall that we attended the grand opening of the Copper Festival and saw no other extranjeros there.

Jim

dongringo_catemaco

Oct 5, 2011, 2:06 PM

Post #11 of 27 (11910 views)

Shortcut

Yes, all statistics support that other than road traffic, tourism to Mexico by any other means than driving is better than ever. As it should be.

Aviation forums fortunately have not Altababbas, yet!
http://www.europapress.es/latam/mexico/noticia-mexico-mueren-cuatro-personas-caer-avioneta-norte-mexico-20110929215607.html
Visit Catemaco News

chinagringo

Oct 5, 2011, 2:11 PM

Post #12 of 27 (11908 views)

Shortcut

Partnerships are not something that I have great experiences with and one sharing ownership of a vehicle would scare the heck out of me! Just too many chances for conflict. Since we expect to make more frequent business related trips to Mexico, it is a cost of doing business. There is a guy at Lake Chapala who will find a used vehicle, have it mechanically checked out, do all of the necessary paperwork and arrange insurance if you want for a fee of $500USD. That sounds reasonable to me.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Bennie García

Oct 5, 2011, 2:46 PM

Post #13 of 27 (11900 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dongringo_catemaco] Flights to Mexico - availability suggests a busy season ahead

In Reply To
Yes, all statistics support that other than road traffic, tourism to Mexico by any other means than driving is better than ever. As it should be.

Aviation forums fortunately have not Altababbas, yet!
http://www.europapress.es/latam/mexico/noticia-mexico-mueren-cuatro-personas-caer-avioneta-norte-mexico-20110929215607.html

Better than ever???? Forgive me if I don't take your word alone on that. Got some proof?

And other than air, what other means? Passenger ships? I recall reading about cancellations on the west coast. Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan and Acapulco specifically. You know? The big 3.

dongringo_catemaco

Oct 5, 2011, 3:36 PM

Post #14 of 27 (11885 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] Flights to Mexico - availability suggests a busy season ahead

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/expedia-reports-growth-in-online-bookings-to-mexico-2011-09-22

want more? Or wanna be a pocha?
Visit Catemaco News

chinagringo

Oct 5, 2011, 3:47 PM

Post #15 of 27 (11879 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dongringo_catemaco] Flights to Mexico - availability suggests a busy season ahead

The only surprise that I saw in the article was the increased traffic to Mexico City. I would like to see a breakdown by region or even simply the numbers for the two regions of Mexico I mentioned earlier.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

dongringo_catemaco

Oct 5, 2011, 4:03 PM

Post #16 of 27 (11874 views)

Shortcut

I do not really care about the rest of Mexico, but I do care deeply about my neck of the woods, otherwise I would not live in this country.

Take a look at the international statistics on the south of Mexico, and backtrack them for a few months.
http://www.asur.com.mx/asur/artman/uploads/199__passenger_traffic_september_2011__ingl_s_.pdf . Simply amazing for Veracruz.

Cruise Ships unfortunately offer no such statistics.
Visit Catemaco News

chinagringo

Oct 5, 2011, 4:29 PM

Post #17 of 27 (11859 views)

Shortcut

"I do not really care about the rest of Mexico..........................................."

That has to be one of the classic self serving and selfish statements of all times! And it shows a distinct lack of understanding about the business climate in a country where you have chosen to live. If tourism is up in certain resort areas and possibly Mexico City, there is no evidence that it trickles down into the areas that are hurting. It is far more important for the Country of Mexico to have a balanced increase and not just in certain areas. Since we have ceased driving and are now flying into Guadalajara, the corridor from New Mexico to Guadalajara and back to New Mexico suffers an economic loss of well over $1000USD when one calculates four nights hotel, five days of meals, tolls, gas and anything else we might be inclined to purchase along the way. And that is just for one vehicle with two people!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Pata Salada

Oct 6, 2011, 9:09 AM

Post #18 of 27 (11688 views)

Shortcut

The link to the international flight increases from ASUR was pretty good. Glad to see the increases in Veracruz and Villahermosa. Johang's and your info seem to show some hopeful improvement.

From clicking on your "Visit Catemaco News" site it appears that you are banned and won't be responding.

chinagringo

Oct 6, 2011, 5:55 PM

Post #19 of 27 (11630 views)

Shortcut

As I suggested previously, Acapulco is being hit hard by the narco violence. Now hotels are starting to shut their doors including two recently purchased and renovated by Carlos Slim - the exclusive Hotel Villa Vera and Boca Chica, located on the beaches of Caleta and Caletilla 3.

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/notas/799148.html
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

whynotwrite

Oct 7, 2011, 5:34 AM

Post #20 of 27 (11587 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
As I suggested previously, Acapulco is being hit hard by the narco violence. Now hotels are starting to shut their doors including two recently purchased and renovated by Carlos Slim - the exclusive Hotel Villa Vera and Boca Chica, located on the beaches of Caleta and Caletilla 3.

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/notas/799148.html

China, you are a real joke. The headline to the story "Acapulco Hotels close by tourism slump" but as always you go with the drug war. May be you would like the headline "The Sky is Falling!"

chinagringo

Oct 7, 2011, 5:52 AM

Post #21 of 27 (11584 views)

Shortcut

Re: [whynotwrite] Flights to Mexico - availability suggests a busy season ahead

And just how would you explain or better yet rationalize the tourism slump? There must be a way to spin the slump and find a positive twist. Good luck with that one!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Bennie García

Oct 7, 2011, 6:11 AM

Post #22 of 27 (11581 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

China, you are a real joke. The headline to the story "Acapulco Hotels close by tourism slump" but as always you go with the drug war. May be you would like the headline "The Sky is Falling!"

You conveniently left out what it says directly below the headline.

"Señalan la inseguridad..."

cbviajero

Oct 7, 2011, 1:34 PM

Post #23 of 27 (11538 views)

Shortcut

Whynotwrite take the blinders off,Chinagringo is no Mexico basher and neither are most of the posters who post about the violence Mexico is currently suffering through.
Last week my brother inlaw and his coworkers were held at gunpoint at a false reten on the road from Lazaro Cardenes to Uruapan for about a half hour while a dozen heavily armed men decided their fate,one of whom kept spinning an uzi in his hand which made my brother inlaw very nervous,as far as Acapulco goes it's safer to be a cliff diver than a taxi driver.
Maybe you have a tourist related business and don't like the negative PR but the fact is this country has changed in terms of security.

chinagringo

Oct 7, 2011, 3:23 PM

Post #24 of 27 (11505 views)

Shortcut

OK whynotwrite:

Who hides behind some anonymous name and cannot even provide where they are located?

If I am so anti-Mexico, then why would I take the time and put forth the effort for:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/...-reviews/chinagringo
And what have you done lately to benefit Mexico?

Enough said!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Altahabana

Oct 7, 2011, 4:16 PM

Post #25 of 27 (11490 views)

Shortcut

"Why does it take 25 replies to someone from northern Texas on where and how to cross the border to Mexico City, when the answer would be to take the most direct one, (wherever she is from) without the narco babble and detouring her through god knows where? " Don Gringo-Catemaco June 1, 2011 "If You could Take any Route from the US to Mexico City"

Visit Catemaco News

"It was a stupid question followed by answers that, to myself, are mostly a bunch of talking heads who could not buy a taco from a cart in the middle of Mexico" Why Not Write June 1, 2011.

Don't let these two get you worked up, Neil. Above is a sample of them doing their Alphonse and Gaston routine on me and some other posters a few months back. They are arrogant, rude and try to bait people into making intemperate responses. I've let them do it to me a couple of times I'm sorry to say. Their agenda is obvious and I strongly suspect it is economically motivated as someone implied.

(This post was edited by Altahabana on Oct 7, 2011, 4:25 PM)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4