Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

rockydog85251

Sep 29, 2011, 2:39 PM

Post #1 of 8 (6428 views)

Shortcut

Ringing of church bells

Can't Post | Private Reply
We are trying to get ready to spend about 3 wks in San Miguel de Allende and would like to know of personal experiences regarding the ringing of the church bells near Centro. We've been told that they ring them on the quarter hour, 24 hr per day.
Is that one "ding" or multiple? Is there a cacophony of bells on the half-hour or hour, or only on religious holidays? Are there any holidays being observed in the month of Oct.? I know this varies from town to town.
We lived in Mazatlan, full-time, for about 12 yrs & they did not do this at the main church downtown about 4 blocks from our house....they played some beautiful music 3-4 times a day. We were also only 2 blocks from the oldest church in the city & they did not do it either. We now reside in Comala, Colima & it sounds like a war zone & that is no exaggeration....when they have a religous holiday or one of the Virgins is visiting the city..............at least 4 different bells being rung at the same time, sounding more like an alarm or call to arms.............then followed by mortars.....this happens about 3-4 times a day, starting at the unholy hour of 5 a.m.!
During "normal" times, the bells are rung on the half, quarter & on the hour...& it is a nice way to know what time it is but his other - BOY!
Any advice from personal experience is appreciated.
Willie

jerezano

Sep 29, 2011, 3:03 PM

Post #2 of 8 (6418 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rockydog85251] Ringing of church bells

Hello,

Ringing of bells at various churches.

There is usually no cacophony of bells unless some kind of celebration is taking place. You should be in Mexico City at the time of the Guadalupana and listen to the bells of the main cathedral (on the Zócalo) where every bell in the church is rung. Unbelievable!

Depending where you are there are usually no clocks with bells, and if there are, the clock is usually off several minutes from correct. San Miguel de A used to have a clock. Perhaps still does. They normally just toll the hour four bells for 4 AM, one bell for each quarter, and half. etc No Westminster or St Michael chimes. etc. I don't know if that clock still works.

There are lots of cohetes (rockets). Every parish has its patron saint, and at 6 AM you will hear anywhere from three to 6 or so rockets at that saints novena. These will be followed by an equal number sometime around 6:15 and again at 6:30. Anything earlier than 6 AM is really a violation of some regulation of the city.

Now ringing of bells: San Miguel de A has lots of churches. However they do not all have curas or priests. They are closed unless a special visit has been arranged to celebrate the patron saint of that church. The main paroquía on the square will probably ring its bell according to the following pattern

Masses (normal congregations) depend upon how many are held a day at the church. There will be a first call signaled by one bell, a pause and then a lengthy ringing of that same bell signalling the importance of the mass, it will be followed by a pause and another one bell. This will be a half hour before the mass. The bell usually the same one.

Second call will consist of the same except for two bells a pause, etc, followed by another pause and two bells. Fifteen minutes before the mass.

Third and last call will start and end with three bells. This will occur at the time of the mass.

The type of the mass is signaled by the length of the enclosed ringing. A rosary or matins will be shorter than a regular mass.You have to be a catholic to distinguish the type of mass being signaled.

Funerals at the conclusion of the mass are usually signaled by a deep toned bell followed by a long pause and then a lighter toned bell another long pause and the deep bell again etc which is kept up until the body leaves the church, and perhaps for a short time afterward. But usually not for long.

All of the above pertains to the Catholic church. Evangelistic churches do other things, like the music you mentioned in your post.

I hope this answers your questions unless some resident of SMA decides to give better information.

As ever, jerezano

(This post was edited by jerezano on Sep 29, 2011, 3:27 PM)

rockydog85251

Sep 29, 2011, 3:27 PM

Post #3 of 8 (6411 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Ringing of church bells

Thanks so much for such detailed info.....that helps a lot. We too have the 1 -2 -3 bell sequence & that is not too bad.
I guess I wiil now hope for someone to respond about the frequency of masses & the types requiring lots of bell ringing in SMA, plus any upcoming saints' days....maybe a link to the ones celebrated there in Oct.
Willie

bournemouth

Sep 29, 2011, 3:31 PM

Post #4 of 8 (6404 views)

Shortcut

Here is some information -I'm sure there is a lot more available:

http://www.sanmiguelguide.com/fiestas.htm

rockydog85251

Sep 29, 2011, 3:42 PM

Post #5 of 8 (6398 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Ringing of church bells

Great info = thanks so much! Do you know if they celebrate those events only on the days designated?
Willie

bournemouth

Sep 29, 2011, 4:23 PM

Post #6 of 8 (6392 views)

Shortcut

Sorry - I can't answer that one but here, in the Chapala area, celebrations are 9 days long, ending with the actual saint's day. I'm sure it's the same there. Just stock up on some earplugs and go have a good time.

jerezano

Sep 29, 2011, 5:05 PM

Post #7 of 8 (6385 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Ringing of church bells

Hello,

Here is a schedule of masses in SMA:

CATHOLIC
- Parroquia, Sunday Masses Hourly 6 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 6, 8:15 p.m.
- Santa Escuela de Cristo, 9 a.m. Sunday Mass
- Las Monjas, 10:00 a.m. Sunday Mass (English Mass)
- Parroquia de San Antonio de Padua. Sunday Mass 7,8 a.m., 1,6,8 p.m. Daily Mass 8 a.m., 8 p.m.

as ever, jerezano

chinagringo

Sep 29, 2011, 5:11 PM

Post #8 of 8 (6381 views)

Shortcut

Since you are planning to spend three weeks, I am guessing that you are either renting a home or have found an establishment that cuts a deal for extended stay. I can tell you that we stayed at a hotel about six or seven blocks from the main cathedral and heard nothing over three nights in August. Then again, we were down the hill and sound tends to travel up.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4