Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

dongringo_catemaco

Sep 21, 2011, 10:59 PM

Post #1 of 11 (2191 views)

Shortcut

Trash day in Veracruz City

Can't Post | Private Reply
One of the competing drug gangs of Veracruz city cleaned house, killing 35 of their opponents, without shooting them, and dumped them on the main highway towards 70 miles away Catemaco. OOPS, I shouldn't mention my city.

The war between the Zetas and the Gulf Cartel is now either in full bloom or ready to wind down. Of course none of the crap affected tourism except for the fly-in of some "important" people who warranted helicopters and thousands of imported police patrols on their way to their meeting near where the 35 bodies had been dumped.

Although only a few of the bodies,12 of them women and some minors, were identified at this writing, the intellectually challenged governor of Veracruz, famous for arresting twitter commentators, proclaimed, that all were criminals and the crime rate should now go down.

Of course, rightfully, everyone in Veracruz is freaked out. But I like to see this in a more personal way. Were there any "civilians", that is average people doing their thing in Veracruz, affected? Not that I know of, except for the ones that sold their photos of the incident.

Veracruz City is probably the most important port in Mexico for contraband. Supposedly the previous governor had an arrangement with the principal gang that apparently was not honored by the current governor,which encouraged the major competing gang to move in. Thus a narco war, a la Chicago in the 1930's.

Frankly, at present, today, if I did not live in the vicinity of Veracruz City, I don't think I would send my children to enjoy a museum. And if I had a friend coming from the north, I would say, take the bypass. But, I am sure, I hope, my attitude will change in the coming weeks.
Visit Catemaco News

(This post was edited by dongringo_catemaco on Sep 21, 2011, 11:03 PM)

robt65

Sep 22, 2011, 12:14 AM

Post #2 of 11 (2176 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dongringo_catemaco] Trash day in Veracruz City

It is my understanding that it really was not in the City of Veracruz but a little further South of Veracruz city in trhe City of Boca del Rio, a pretty good size tourist area on the highway in front of a large mall, frequented by a lot of tourists. I may be wrong but I don't think so.

robt65

(This post was edited by robt65 on Sep 22, 2011, 12:16 AM)

dongringo_catemaco

Sep 22, 2011, 5:04 AM

Post #3 of 11 (2161 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Trash day in Veracruz City

Yes, actually the city was Boca del Rio, a former distant suburb, but now the touristic and economic heart of the Veracruz City metropolitan area. Somehow, out of towners never think of going to Boca (where most of the good shopping is located) and instead head for Veracruz, Veracruz.
Visit Catemaco News

Vichil

Sep 22, 2011, 8:04 AM

Post #4 of 11 (2126 views)

Shortcut

I am a little confused by your post: if out of towners do not go to Boca del Rio who are the tourists in Boca del Rio and why is it the touristic center?
I am an out of towner and have been there , I find it a pleasant area with nice hotels and restaurants but I went to Vera Cruz to see the port and the center not another beach resorttype place.

dongringo_catemaco

Sep 22, 2011, 9:30 AM

Post #5 of 11 (2102 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] Trash day in Veracruz City

Obviously I was not clear.
For locals there is little differentiation between the two municipal areas, just a 30 peso taxi ride from downtown VC city to Boca.

Example: I regularly head for Veracruz from 70 miles away Catemaco to do luxury shopping. Actually I go to Boca del Rio.

The distinction between the two cities, although geographically, and politically correct, is nitpicking.

The Veracruz City metropolitan area, app 2 million people, accommodates dozens of other named suburbs, towns, etc.

Unknown to most non Mexicans, Boca and the gulf shore further south, actually in the Angel R. Cabada municipality, is the equivalent of Cancun in its developmental stage.
Visit Catemaco News

(This post was edited by dongringo_catemaco on Sep 22, 2011, 9:38 AM)

robt65

Sep 22, 2011, 10:14 AM

Post #6 of 11 (2087 views)

Shortcut

"Nitpicking?" . . . . . . . . . . ďAh ContraireĒ my friend. If you are from Boca del Rio, as those folks are as defensive about their "Boca" as the Dutch are about their distinction between the two words Holland and the Netherlands! While the two cities are indeed geographically pretty close together they are indeed two separate and distinct cities. We NOB'ers have so convoluted our own nation by such indiscrimination of fact, surely letís not be the bad guys in perpetuating changing geographical facts in Mexico. I think it would be very similar to the areas of Puerto Vallarta and Bucerias Mexico (smiling)

Check it out here http://www.maplandia.com/mexico/veracruz/

and here http://www.maplandia.com/...rta/puerto-vallarta/

robt65

(This post was edited by robt65 on Sep 22, 2011, 10:24 AM)

dongringo_catemaco

Sep 22, 2011, 10:34 AM

Post #7 of 11 (2080 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Trash day in Veracruz City

You must be from Queens. New York , New York that is.
Visit Catemaco News

Vichil

Sep 22, 2011, 12:17 PM

Post #8 of 11 (2056 views)

Shortcut

.In a lot of ways Boca del Rio is to Vera Cruz what Zapopan is to Guadalajara.- It seems that their demographics are similar.

robt65

Sep 22, 2011, 6:16 PM

Post #9 of 11 (2020 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] Trash day in Veracruz City

Exactly Vichill, exactly,

robt65

panama john

Sep 22, 2011, 6:34 PM

Post #10 of 11 (2012 views)

Shortcut

Your right; Boca del Rio and Veracruz are one and the same. All in the Veracruz Metro Area. Continuous. I live in Cordoba and go their frequently. When the locals go to the beaches or go shopping in Boca del Rio's upscale shopping centers, it is always refered to as Veracruz or El Puerto.

robt65

Sep 23, 2011, 11:13 AM

Post #11 of 11 (1944 views)

Shortcut

Re: [panama john] Trash day in Veracruz City

Morning john,

They may refer to Bovca as Puerto or Veracruz and they may even "run together", but they are indeed two separate cities not only in name but also in geographical location and in all other municiple departments. Look at the photos of the police cars and the door insignias at the site of the dumping. Look Here http://www.blogdelnarco.com/...00&max-results=5 and here http://www.blogdelnarco.com/...00&max-results=5 and here where it specifically states "Boca del Rio is a part of" .. . . . but it is separate from. http://en.wikipedia.org/...l_R%C3%ADo,_Veracruz

It is a geographically separate city. I rest my case.

robt65

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4