Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

Brian

Sep 21, 2011, 8:49 AM

Post #1 of 6 (4246 views)

Shortcut

Locked thread about Michoacan

Can't Post | Private Reply
It seems that whenever I have a particular interest in a thread, it ends up being abruptly locked. Just my "bad luck" I guess:-). Anyway, the discussion involved the perception, and personal experience, of violence on the part of some long term foreign residents in Mexico. One thing I find useful is to peruse the archives of this message boards to see if the passage of time and later events has altered opinions by some of the members. Shortly after the grenade attack at the Grito in Morelia, Linda started the following thread:

http://www.mexconnect.com/..._latest_reply;so=ASC

I found the remarks by Alex and BajaGringo to be particularly apt and even prescient.

(This post was edited by Rolly on Sep 21, 2011, 8:53 AM)

chinagringo

Sep 21, 2011, 8:59 AM

Post #2 of 6 (4230 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] Locked thread about Michoacan

Brian:

Thanks for the link as it was an opportunity to remember back to that point in time. We had just been in Patzcuaro the previous month and ended up making another trip down that October. I do remember how rattled people were over that event and rightfully so!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Yacatecuhtli

Sep 21, 2011, 9:12 AM

Post #3 of 6 (4224 views)

Shortcut

Re:Locked thread about Michoacan

Datos preliminares señalan que alrededor de las 13:30 horas se reportó una balacera en la zona de la Tierra Caliente.......

Now correct me if I am wrong but 13:30 is 1:30 in the afternoon not 1:30 in the morning. Most expats and tourists drive at that time of the afternoon.

I wonder what the news in the US would look like if in Texas armed gunmen were pointing weapons at motorists close to a toll to steal their cars.

But since no expats were killed in this incident it really doesn't matter ??

Hmm maybe the lesson here is don't take any Mexicans (or Central Americans) with you if you travel by car and you will be just fine... cuz they only bother Mexicans

! Al pan, pan y al vino, vino !

Peter

Sep 21, 2011, 11:03 AM

Post #4 of 6 (4189 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Yacatecuhtli] Re:Locked thread about Michoacan

Then put me in the higher-risk category because I travel almost everywhere with my Mexican wife.

Living in Mexico doesn't exempt one from danger at all, nor am I convinced it increases the risk of danger. Being from coastal Southern California I don't feel an increased risk here than in my former home in the US. Does anyone really dispute that at all? None of us are absolutely safe anywhere we may be.

Life itself is a death sentence. Should we go about our lives in fear of that ultimate moment? I think not, we just live our lives the best we can while knowing that day may come sooner for us than we may anticipate, but we don't stop living because we know one day our lives will end. I don't feel my odds of encountering violence are really any different here, just the circumstances and for those and perhaps we make some adjustments while life goes on.

The news of BajaGringo's violent encounter was a tough blow. I am very relieved to hear a message from him that he and his wife are recovering well and I wish them all the best. He is a member of this web community that I have been acquainted with for several years, someone known to me at least through this board. It is true though that we will all likely know of someone who will have a tragic encounter whether here or NOB. For me this is not the first or likely the last. Telling someone, a friend or a stranger to turn around, go back away from Mexico, do not enter, I do not believe to be good advice. They will face life's consequences no matter where they are.

Do those of us who have been here several years feel where we live in Mexico is a much more dangerous a place than where we came from? Violence may be increasing here but is it becoming safer in the US or Canada or anywhere else in the world? Are there many of us, ourselvelves or others we know, that want to pack it in and head back north? Is that the advice we give others that are thinking of coming here? With few exceptions I believe the answers to all these questions are a resounding NO. My life has become much richer and more pleasureable by being here. If it can be shown there is a greater risk to being here then I accept it, it is worth it to me. ¡Viva México!

(This post was edited by Peter on Sep 21, 2011, 11:04 AM)

norteño

Sep 21, 2011, 12:07 PM

Post #5 of 6 (4172 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Yacatecuhtli] Re:Locked thread about Michoacan

In Reply To

Datos preliminares señalan que alrededor de las 13:30 horas se reportó una balacera en la zona de la Tierra Caliente.......

Now correct me if I am wrong but 13:30 is 1:30 in the afternoon not 1:30 in the morning. Most expats and tourists drive at that time of the afternoon.

I wonder what the news in the US would look like if in Texas armed gunmen were pointing weapons at motorists close to a toll to steal their cars.

But since no expats were killed in this incident it really doesn't matter ??

Hmm maybe the lesson here is don't take any Mexicans (or Central Americans) with you if you travel by car and you will be just fine... cuz they only bother Mexicans

Perhaps because of Spanish language deficiency, everyone seems to be missing the fact that the linked article refers to two separate incidents. One was a shootout with eight dead in the Tierra Caliente region, the other was an incident on the Morelia-Salamanca highway in the municipality of Cuitzeo, near Morelia, in which gunmen were holding up motorists at a toll booth, resulting in a shootout with one federal policeman killed.

Another link to the same incident (the details about holding up motorists are contained in the first link and other reports):

http://www.provincia.com.mx/...a-morelia-salamanca/

Morelia, Michoacán.- A clash early yesterday morning in Michoacán left a policeman and a presumed organized crime member dead.

According to police reports, the events occurred on the Morelia-Salamanca highway some 25 kilometers from the capital of Michoacán...

norteño

Sep 21, 2011, 12:19 PM

Post #6 of 6 (4164 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] Locked thread about Michoacan

Violence may be increasing here but is it becoming safer in the US or Canada or anywhere else in the world?

The answer to your question is: yes, life is becoming safer in the U. S. and Canada while it is becoming more dangerous in Mexico. Just-released FBI figures for 2010 show that the murder rate was 4.8/100,000. This was the lowest rate per capita since the early 1960's and the validity of the statistics from back then is questionable, but the essential accuracy of the modern homicide figures is not.

(This post was edited by norteño on Sep 21, 2011, 12:21 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4