Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Anonimo

Sep 12, 2011, 4:12 AM

Post #1 of 13 (14341 views)

Shortcut

Jugo Verde Recipes

Can't Post | Private Reply
Jugo verde seems to be a blend of fresh ingredients such as pineapple, nopal, celery, parsley spinach, et al. It HAS to be very good for you!

My favorite way to make it, so far, is to wash and disinfect all the fruits and vegetables in advance.

Then I put into a heavy duty blender, 2-3 small slices of pineapple, a de-spined (of course!) nopal pad or two, cut up in small pieces; a stalk of celery, a few leaves of raw spinach or chard, a big handful of fat leaf parsley, stems and all. I fill the blender jar about 3/4 full with high quality apple juice, such as Kirkland Extraccíon En Fresco Jugo de Manzana.

Sometimes I may add a section of ripe banana or a goodly piece of apple.

If you are hypoglycemic or diabetic, you may prefer to make it with water instead of apple juice. Opinions on that vary.

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

Anonimo

Mar 30, 2012, 5:56 AM

Post #2 of 13 (12492 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Jugo Verde Recipes

Update: I've modified my 'Recipe' to have much less nopal (so the drink is less viscous); and usually use freshly squeezed orange juice, plus water for the liquid.

Celery seems essential as does pineapple and a small bunch of parsley. If I have it on hand, I include a well washed and disinfected leaf of green chard or spinach. A small slice of ginger root gives it a nice flavor and is said to have properties beneficial to health.

After thorough blending in the blender, I give it a taste test, but usually it's fine as is. It's to be drunk without straining. It's definitely best right after blending, as it can get unpleasantly viscous if stored overnight in the fridge.

Saludos,
Anonimo

robt65

Mar 30, 2012, 6:24 AM

Post #3 of 13 (12487 views)

Shortcut

Good Morning Anonimo,

Here's another one for your collection. Yours sounds very good except for the "nopal" part. I don't know why, but I just cannot get into nopal in any form. Oh well!

My wife surprised me yesterday with a great cool and refreshing drink made with one large pitcher of water and one very large cucumber peeled and put in the blender, after liquefying the peeled cucumber she added it to the water and also added the juice of a lime. I have to tell you I was a little skeptical, but after trying it, I can tell you it was really a great refreshing drink to have with a lite lunch.

robt65

Anonimo

Mar 30, 2012, 5:44 PM

Post #4 of 13 (12446 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Jugo Verde Recipes

Robt65, the agua fresca de pepino is indeed a very refreshing drnk. We had it for the first time late January at Carmelita's Cafe in Zihuatanejo. In fact, I was thinking of making it this morning, but I wanted to use up my jugo verde ingredients before making something different. I'm not sure how it could be so green if the cucumber is peeled.

Saludos,
Anonimo

(This post was edited by Anonimo on Mar 30, 2012, 5:45 PM)

chinagringo

Mar 30, 2012, 6:34 PM

Post #5 of 13 (12433 views)

Shortcut

You guys would make Jack LaLanne proud!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

tashby

Mar 30, 2012, 6:52 PM

Post #6 of 13 (12431 views)

Shortcut

Our housekeeper also runs a juice business out of her home and sometimes brings us a little bag of jugo verde. MAN is it green and boy is it great. I'll try to remember to ask what she includes, but I have the feeling the answer will be, "Depende."

Speaking of GREEN!, last weekend had a nice plate of Mole Verde at "!Ah Que Nanishe!", a Oaxacan restaurant in, of all places, Colima City. The plate arrived and this green was so green it was electric. Frightening, really. But boy was it tasty.

robt65

Mar 30, 2012, 8:37 PM

Post #7 of 13 (12419 views)

Shortcut

Hello Anonimo,

Well I don’t know either how it retains it's green color after taking off the skins. I can tell you if you make a pitcher full, you must keep it stirred well or it looks like the muddy green color of real swamp water! (smiling) . . . . . . . . but it sure is good and refreshing if it's cold from the fridge.

robt65

sfmacaws

Mar 30, 2012, 10:48 PM

Post #8 of 13 (12409 views)

Shortcut

I make an agua with one cucumber (peeled), about 2 small pieces of fresh ginger, a little sugar and the juice of one lime - add water to equal 2 liters. It's easiest to blend half the water with the cucumber then strain into a pitcher and then do the same with the ginger. It's really refreshing when it is hot but the color is a kind of lettuce green, not intense.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Anonimo

Mar 31, 2012, 3:36 AM

Post #9 of 13 (12403 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Jugo Verde Recipes

We ate at Ah Que Nanishe many years ago. It's a Oaxacan outpost in Colima. I remember enjoying our meal, but I don't think we had mole verde.
Maybe we can discuss mole verde in a separate thread. :-)

Saludos,
Anonimo

Anonimo

Mar 31, 2012, 3:38 AM

Post #10 of 13 (12401 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Jugo Verde Recipes

I will try your Agua de Pepino recipe, Jonna. Sounds good!

EDIT: I made agua fresca de pepino twice in a few days. It was "nice" the first time, but pale in color and a very subtle cucumber taste.

Yesterday, I made it again, using larger cucumbers and adding a few sprigs of flat leaf parsley to give it color. That came out better, IMO, although still needing more cucumberness. We will try it out on our guests today.

Saludos,
Anonimo

(This post was edited by Anonimo on Apr 4, 2012, 4:15 AM)

rayitodeluna

Apr 21, 2012, 9:18 PM

Post #11 of 13 (11992 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Good Morning Anonimo,

Here's another one for your collection. Yours sounds very good except for the "nopal" part. I don't know why, but I just cannot get into nopal in any form. Oh well!

My wife surprised me yesterday with a great cool and refreshing drink made with one large pitcher of water and one very large cucumber peeled and put in the blender, after liquefying the peeled cucumber she added it to the water and also added the juice of a lime. I have to tell you I was a little skeptical, but after trying it, I can tell you it was really a great refreshing drink to have with a lite lunch.

robt65

I made agua de pepino today (inspired by your post!) and it was a big hit! I left the halfthe peelof the cucumber on, added a splash of OJ (the one day we didnt have limes in the house!), basil (why not! Dont have parsely in the garden) , and at the very end added chia seeds. I did strain the blended cucumber water before adding chia seeds, my inlaws strain all their aguas frescas. I prefer a little oompf and wouldnt have strained it, but they like it better that way.

~~~~~~ Enjoying life in northern D.F. with our family of Americans and chilangos.
Family and expat blog here : http://threecurlygirlys.blogspot.mx/ ~~~~~~

sarahyoung75

Apr 24, 2012, 4:21 AM

Post #12 of 13 (11926 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Jugo verde seems to be a blend of fresh ingredients such as pineapple, nopal, celery, parsley spinach, et al. It HAS to be very good for you!

My favorite way to make it, so far, is to wash and disinfect all the fruits and vegetables in advance.

Then I put into a heavy duty blender, 2-3 small slices of pineapple, a de-spined (of course!) nopal pad or two, cut up in small pieces; a stalk of celery, a few leaves of raw spinach or chard, a big handful of fat leaf parsley, stems and all. I fill the blender jar about 3/4 full with high quality apple juice, such as Kirkland Extraccíon En Fresco Jugo de Manzana.

Sometimes I may add a section of ripe banana or a goodly piece of apple.

If you are hypoglycemic or diabetic, you may prefer to make it with water instead of apple juice. Opinions on that vary.

I think this was a good dish. It tastes good. I would like to try this dish. Thanks

WilsonEmily

Jul 2, 2012, 11:44 PM

Post #13 of 13 (10728 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sarahyoung75] Jugo Verde Recipes

One of my favorite recipe. I usually try this at home. Just add some mint leaves. It tastes awesome.

[irrelevant advert removed by moderator]

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Jul 3, 2012, 9:03 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4