Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

AKang47

Sep 11, 2011, 4:04 PM

Post #1 of 6 (24634 views)

Shortcut

How To Make Good Tacos/Burritos!Quick!!!

Can't Post | Private Reply
We usually cut up some steak and grill it over charcoal and put it on tortillas with salsa, hot sauce. and other stuff.

I'm looking how to make tacos like King Taco style, if you've tried them, they're so good.
What type of meat is good? And what type of tortillas are good? And how do we get the tortillas to be real soft and moist?

(This post was edited by AKang47 on Sep 11, 2011, 4:05 PM)

Anonimo

Sep 12, 2011, 4:24 AM

Post #2 of 6 (24591 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AKang47] How To Make Good Tacos/Burritos!Quick!!!

I don't know anything about "King Taco". I don't want to be rude, but your questions are so broad and general that they are difficult to answer.

Where are you located?

But, here are a few ideas.

I would get some good arrachera marinada, or a cut of arrachera and marinate my own. I would find a tortillerķa that makes good tortillas de harina. You could make your own. but unless you are a patient and experienced cook, it may be challenging.

I'd be sure to get some cebollitas (knob onions) to grill, some Mexican limes to squirt on the grilled cebollitas.

I'd make a roasted tomato salsa. I'd also make a salsa verde de tomatillos. Google them. I'd stock up on and chill a lot of cerveza. I'd use real, lump charcoal, not briquets for the grilling.

But that's just me. Others might do it differently.

Soft and moist flour tortillas: buy or make them fresh, heat briefly on a comal/dry skillet., place in a tortillera or towel lined basket. Keep covered.

Saludos,
Anonimo

(This post was edited by Anonimo on Sep 12, 2011, 6:26 AM)

MejiJo

Sep 25, 2011, 9:54 AM

Post #3 of 6 (24440 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AKang47] How To Make Good Tacos/Burritos!Quick!!!

You can also make the tortillas hot and soft by wrapping them tightly in tin foil and put them in the oven at 350 for 5 minutes - or wrap them in a thin towel and microwave for ? (I don't have a microwave, but I know friends that do this)

chinagringo

Sep 25, 2011, 10:52 AM

Post #4 of 6 (24434 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MejiJo] How To Make Good Tacos/Burritos!Quick!!!

We have often used both the oven method and the microwave method but have never been all that satisfied by how long the tortillas remained warm. Tried numerous things to hold the tortillas without success. Then we came across:
http://www.amazon.com/...-Style/dp/B0036S0L9S

Absolutely great for warming the tortillas and retaining the heat!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

joaquinx

Sep 25, 2011, 11:53 AM

Post #5 of 6 (24422 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] How To Make Good Tacos/Burritos!Quick!!!

Since many Mexicans do not have a microwave as well as an oven, they heat their tortillas directly over the open burner of their stove. Turning them with their fingers often as not to burn them. It works but you need quick fingers.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

jrpierce

Sep 27, 2011, 10:08 PM

Post #6 of 6 (24350 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] How To Make Good Tacos/Burritos!Quick!!!

I've used the open burner as well, and I think it works beautifully. The areas that char from the flame add to the taste and the appearance!

Jim

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4