Forums  > General > General Forum

Moisheh

Sep 10, 2011, 4:11 PM

Post #1 of 6 (1241 views)

Shortcut

New Rules for bringing in your pet(s)

Can't Post | Private Reply
http://www.senasica.gob.mx/?Idioma=2&id=623

Has anyone encountered these requirements when driving into Mexico? They have always had a requirement for health certificates but never where it could only be 10 days old. Seems a little ridiculous and will sure prevent a lot of RV'rs from visiting Mexico. We leave Canada and sometimes spend 12 0r 15 days in the USA. The rules require a certificate from your home country and they want the original not a copy!! More hard to follow rules.

mazbook1

Sep 10, 2011, 4:24 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1236 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Moisheh] New Rules for bringing in your pet(s)

It's not a new rule, it's always been that way. The only NEW rule is that the health certificate has to also certify the pet has no intestinal parasites.

That said, I don't know of ANYONE who has entered México by land who has ever been asked for pet health certificates, only ones who arrived by air, and even then only a certain percentage of them.

Moisheh

Sep 10, 2011, 5:00 PM

Post #3 of 6 (1229 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] New Rules for bringing in your pet(s)

Thanks mazbook: We too have never been asked for anything in over 20 years even when they saw and petted our cats. Someone had posted this elsewhere and I think it is just a scare tactic!! I did hear from one poster who crossed since that altered reg. and he was not asked for anything. We went south in March after the reg and were asked for nothing.

Moisheh

TxMex

Sep 26, 2011, 11:31 AM

Post #4 of 6 (987 views)

Shortcut

I have never been asked for the health certificate on any of my many border crossings. On my very first entry into Mexico I kept trying to give the official my pet health certificate and he kept insisting that he didn't want it and it is not important.

However, I have found that regulations differ greatly from entry point to entry point. I'd have a health certificate from the last time your pet went to the vet and not sweat it. 'Lo siento' goes a long way. Also, it may(not sure, but seems to be the attitude) depend on the kind of dog you have. My miniature schnauzer never caused any concern....however, a rottweiler will draw a lot more interest and concern and your papers are more likely to be checked.

Vichil

Sep 26, 2011, 12:39 PM

Post #5 of 6 (960 views)

Shortcut

We were asked to show the rabbies certificate in Nogales.

TxMex

Sep 27, 2011, 5:24 AM

Post #6 of 6 (881 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] New Rules for bringing in your pet(s)

Really?! What kind of dog do you have? Also, was the official being nitpicky ....really searching for something to nail you on or did they ask because they really wanted to know?

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4