Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

jrpierce

Sep 7, 2011, 9:01 PM

Post #1 of 15 (10910 views)

Shortcut

Status of the Arco Norte?

Can't Post | Private Reply
It has been a number of months since anyone posted information about the status of the Arco Norte (a highway that lets one bypass Mexico city). My wife and I will soon be driving from Morelia to Puebla and intend to use the Arco Norte. Does anyone know if it is now finished to Atlacomulco? And if not, what is the best way to access it when coming from Morelia?

Many thanks,

Jim

chinagringo

Sep 8, 2011, 5:49 AM

Post #2 of 15 (10875 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jrpierce] Status of the Arco Norte?

No personal experience but this site might help:

http://arconorte.com.mx:8080/
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Vichil

Sep 8, 2011, 5:51 AM

Post #3 of 15 (10872 views)

Shortcut

It is open, we were told at the booth of the Arco Norte Pueblan Queretaro that it was open back in May.

jrpierce

Sep 8, 2011, 7:11 AM

Post #4 of 15 (10846 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] Status of the Arco Norte?

Thanks for the input you all. But has anyone actually driven it who can say where you enter it in relation to Atlacomulco, how it is signed, etc. ???

Jim

Vichil

Sep 8, 2011, 12:17 PM

Post #5 of 15 (10805 views)

Shortcut

If no one else answer, I will get confirmation Saturday when my friends from Oaxaca return. I told them to go that way so I will hear if it was close.

Vichil

Sep 9, 2011, 7:47 AM

Post #6 of 15 (10737 views)

Shortcut

Some other friends from Oaxaca came via Arco Norte Puebla Atlajomulco and confirmed it was opened. Cannot help you re instructions going the other way because their told their brother to go via Querretaro as it saves either time or money (not sure which but I will knowtomorrow) coming from Ajijic.

We will go that way in October as we want to spend a night in Tula, but by that time you will know too.

jrpierce

Sep 9, 2011, 10:10 AM

Post #7 of 15 (10720 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] Status of the Arco Norte?

Many thanks for your follow-up on this Vichil. That's good news. I'll get the details to share with everyone on this board when we go in a couple of weeks.

Jim

esperanza

Sep 9, 2011, 1:29 PM

Post #8 of 15 (10692 views)

Shortcut

A friend in Morelia just went to Oaxaca using the Arco Norte as far as Puebla. She said it took her four hours from Morelia to Puebla, amazing time. She did get on the Arco Norte at Atlacomulco, but I don't have further info re where to get on the road sorry.

We just came back from San Miguel de Allende and Oaxaca (not in the same trip!) and noticed that the signage for the Arco Norte was excellent from both directions.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

jrpierce

Sep 9, 2011, 8:25 PM

Post #9 of 15 (10660 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Status of the Arco Norte?

Thanks, Esperanza! I figured if it was really open, someone on Mexconnect must have taken Arco Norte entering from Atlacomulco. I'll provide details on the signage and precise entry point after we make the trip.

Jim

Pata Salada

Sep 10, 2011, 6:20 AM

Post #10 of 15 (10631 views)

Shortcut

That would be great JR. Last year the signs from Altacomulco to where the construction was complete weren't very good. The website still has that section under construction, but it may show that for years now that it may be complete..

cookj5

Sep 10, 2011, 2:08 PM

Post #11 of 15 (10585 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Thanks for the input you all. But has anyone actually driven it who can say where you enter it in relation to Atlacomulco, how it is signed, etc. ???

Jim

In August, my wife and I drove the full length of the Arco Norte from where it meets the #15 cuota to where it meets the cuota from Mexico City to Puebla.It is not only complete, but it is a gorgeous drive. There is little traffic and the road surface is smooth as a baby's butt. You pass through green valleys and past large lakes surrounded by scenic mountains. Enjoy your drive!

jrpierce

Sep 12, 2011, 10:23 AM

Post #12 of 15 (10515 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cookj5] Status of the Arco Norte?

Great! Thanks for the info.

Jim

jrpierce

Sep 26, 2011, 8:00 PM

Post #13 of 15 (10252 views)

Shortcut

Last weekend, on our way to Puebla, my wife and I drove from Morelia toward Mexico on the 15 cuota, and at Altacomulco, turned onto the access road to the Arco Norte. The signs are large and in the style of the familiar green background with white lettering. It was very easy to spot. A few of the signs mention Puebla, but many only mention Tula. Finally, there is one sign that only mentions Querétaro and Mexico, but that is the route you take.

You stop at only two toll booths, one at the beginning of your route and one at the end. You receive a ticket that has the thickness and size of a credit card, and turn it in at the end of the route where you pay your toll.

The road is new and beautiful, however there are areas where they have obviously joined it in with prior roads, and there's construction going on in those areas--though nothing on our trip that slowed our progress. As others have noted, you can fly on this highway!

One word of caution. There are almost NO services on the highway. We entered the highway at Altacomulco, and first encountered a gas station on the highway shortly before we were to come into the Puebla metro area. There are no snack shops, rest rooms, etc. So plan accordingly.

I hope that is helpful for those planning to go that way.

Jim

RickS

Sep 26, 2011, 9:13 PM

Post #14 of 15 (10242 views)

Shortcut

In general, good news that it is open all the way from Altacomulco to Puebla.... and that the signage around Altacomulco is good and obvious. That should make the often dreaded drive through DF a thing of the past (assuming that is the desire of the traveler!).

LEACH

May 23, 2012, 5:21 PM

Post #15 of 15 (9188 views)

Shortcut

YOU CAN CHECK ARCO NORTE AT www.arconorte.com.mx
SINCE 1 YEAR AGO, IT IS COMPLETELY OPEN FROM ATLACOMULCO, LINKING TO THE MORELIA - GUADALAJARA HIGHWAY, CROSSING THE MEXICO - QUERÉTARO HIGHWAY, THE MÉXICO - PACHUCA HIGHWAY, THE MÉXICO - PIRÁMIDES (TEOTIHUACAN) - TULANCINGO HWY AND FINISHING AT THE MEXICO - PUEBLA - VERACRUZ - OAXACA HIGHWAY.
YOU WILL FIND GAS STATION WITH CAFETERIA AT THE km 178, BETWEEN THE CALPULALPAN AND TULANCINGO INTERSECTIONS. MORE NICE HOTELS AT PACHUCA (27 km AWAY) OR AT THE TEOTIHUACAN PYRAMIDS (ABOUT 10 km AWAY, FOLLOWING THE MEXICO - PIRÁMIDES - TULANCINGO HIGHWAY TO THE WEST. PUEBLA IS ALSO A MUST!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4