Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

El Gato

Sep 6, 2011, 1:02 PM

Post #1 of 7 (3533 views)

Shortcut

Puerto Penasco - aka Rocky Point

Can't Post | Private Reply
If anyone is looking for either and great place to live and/or visit - Puerto Penasco is it. It is about an easy hour drive from the border town of Lukeville AZ - very good road and well patroled. The town itself is a fun place and people are warm and welcoming. Most everyone speaks some English and it is a blast trying to learn some Spanish (everyone wants to help). The Sea of Cortez is fantastic - and warm water! Beaches are very safe and great for kids. Lots of Tide pools. Can rent ATVs, dune buggies, jets skis, banana boats, light hydro-planes.

Buy your steaks here - Sonoran beef is some of the best in the world - last time we had rib eye I think I could have cut mine with a fork. Talk about tender and full of flavor.

There are hotels and private homes and condos for rent.

We now live here full time and love every moment.
"The World After WW1 - 1918 - 1921" at amazon.com, Barnes & Nobel - letters written at the end of WWI

rockydog85251

Sep 6, 2011, 4:02 PM

Post #2 of 7 (3512 views)

Shortcut

Re: [El Gato] Puerto Penasco - aka Rocky Point

We used to spend a lot of time there & it can have frost in the winter, in case you weren't aware of that! It gets quite "fresh" in the winter......... Hope you didn't get rid of all your warm clothes.
Willie

El Gato

Sep 7, 2011, 6:10 AM

Post #3 of 7 (3482 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rockydog85251] Puerto Penasco - aka Rocky Point

Nope - still have our warm stuff - and did need it last winter - although much warmer then some places I've spent the winter - like Buffalo area! We dressed in sweaters/sweats so never needed to turn the heater on in the house. Sleeping at night was wonderful. Summer can get pretty hot and humid - but humidity nothing like the more jungle areas and without all the bugs.

They are suppoe st start building a convention center. Still trying for being a cruise port (was suppoe to be a done deal in about 2008 and then the econ tanked. International airport open now - no flights in from the states yet.

When were you here? My family started coming down in 1948 - Got to Phoenix in 1945. Needless to say, a few changes :)
"The World After WW1 - 1918 - 1921" at amazon.com, Barnes & Nobel - letters written at the end of WWI

rockydog85251

Sep 7, 2011, 6:25 AM

Post #4 of 7 (3478 views)

Shortcut

We were johnny-come-latelys by comparasin....we started going there in '91 and have also seen al lot changes - some not for the best! I do like to see the locals benefit from "progress" but not at the cost of the environment. The shrimp there were the best!! We cracked up when they opened a JJ's Cantina in Scottsdale but never darkened it's doors....it just couldn't be the same as the original.
Did they ever get the ownership issues resolved down there?
Willie

El Gato

Sep 7, 2011, 7:06 AM

Post #5 of 7 (3472 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rockydog85251] Puerto Penasco - aka Rocky Point

I believe they did on those having problems - like in Choya. The trusts are now 50 years. Can't believe they have golf courses, swimming pools and a Mayan Palace. I remember the days when all water was trucked in from the well 17 miles out of town.

Moisheh

Oct 17, 2011, 8:09 PM

Post #6 of 7 (3228 views)

Shortcut

I do not think that the people from Phoenix got one peso when that Condo development went under. It was scam and the Mexican gov. did nothing to help!! Please tell it like it is!

Moisheh

El Gato

Oct 18, 2011, 6:47 AM

Post #7 of 7 (3207 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Moisheh] Puerto Penasco - aka Rocky Point

In Reply To
I do not think that the people from Phoenix got one peso when that Condo development went under. It was scam and the Mexican gov. did nothing to help!! Please tell it like it is!

Moisheh

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4