Read more here.

Rolly Pirate

La Isla

May 28, 2011, 10:53 AM

Post #2 of 23 (8247 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Mexican government says NO to Carlos Slim

Can't Post | Private Reply
Is this the first time that the government said "no" to señor Slim?

La Paz

May 28, 2011, 11:44 AM

Post #3 of 23 (8231 views)

Shortcut

Since my Mexican Dish Network service here in La Paz is purported to be a stand-alone Carlos Slim offering, that tells me that all he was denied was rolling it into a 3-way package of land-line/internet/television, billable through the TELMEX bill. There have been rumors flying around BajaSur for the past 12 months that Slim is in the midst of negotiating for real-time US major network broadcast approval....originally touted to be available here December 2010....so at least half of that rumor didn't fly....I guess time will tell on the accuracy of the other half of the rumor.

Mexberry

May 28, 2011, 2:26 PM

Post #4 of 23 (8188 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Paz] Mexican government says NO to Carlos Slim

The service we receive from Telmex and Telcel is poor on the best of days. Telcel have a 47 booth outlet in PV. The three times that I have been there only 5 of the desks are manned, with the result that us peons have to wait between 1 and 1.5 hours to get service. Internet connection is slow.
So if Snr Slim wants to open a service in the US then he had better get his customer service levels improved.
Twenty or so years ago the US govt broke Ma Bell into 4 or 5 regional Bells so as to create competition. Too bad the same has not happened with Telmex.

Rolly

May 28, 2011, 2:43 PM

Post #5 of 23 (8181 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mexberry] Mexican government says NO to Carlos Slim

It's hard to describe how bad the phone company was before Slim bought it from the government.
The Flintstones had better phone service.
Even with its flaws today, it is still a miraculous improvement over the old system.

Rolly Pirate

La Isla

May 28, 2011, 3:23 PM

Post #6 of 23 (8167 views)

Shortcut

I agree with Rolly that the phone service in Mexico is much improved over the old days. Just the fact that I can count on making a call to the States without worrying it going through is wonderful. And the rates are much lower too.

Bennie García

May 28, 2011, 7:50 PM

Post #7 of 23 (8135 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
It's hard to describe how bad the phone company was before Slim bought it from the government.
The Flintstones had better phone service.
Even with its flaws today, it is still a miraculous improvement over the old system.

How bad was it Rolly? What kind of problems did you have?

richmx2

May 28, 2011, 9:42 PM

Post #8 of 23 (8108 views)

Shortcut

I wonder how much of the anti-Slim press lately isn't due to Televisa's push to enter the data transmission market, with Televisa having closer ties to the present administration, and the present administration having gone to great lengths NOT to upset the television monopoly, nor take any action towards creating competition in that market.

I'm hardly a knee-jerk worshipper of wealth, but have to admit that TelMex is a much better run company, and has seen continual customer service improvements in my ten years here. Having gone from a situation where home telephone service was a province of the rich (and it wasn't uncommon a few years ago to find communities with no telephones) even a few years ago, I imagine there are still problems with customer service, if for no other reason than the number of customers has been growing exponentially.

http://mexfiles.net
http://mexicobookpublishers.com

cbviajero

May 29, 2011, 9:57 AM

Post #9 of 23 (8039 views)

Shortcut

I didn't know that he bought the phone company from the mex guv,I thought he bought it from his buddy Salinas de Gotari.Richest man in the world from a country where the minimum wage is less than 5 dollars a day,what a schmuck,mexicans pay one of the highest rates for phone service in the world because of this greedy prick.
Chris

mexliving

May 29, 2011, 11:13 AM

Post #10 of 23 (8025 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Mexican government says NO to Carlos Slim

carlos sleum could do so much for mexico and its people.........or should i say the people that gave him his wealth.

a typical house line with basic internet is around 750.00 pesos...... if you only take home less then 4,500 pesos per month thats a huge % of your montly earnings.. it would not take much to know the neighborhoods where the low income citizens live... and the upper class neighborhoods.. he could simply offer phone/internet for 100.00 pesos per month for the common citizens and charge expensive rates for the wealthy areas.

i was talking to a customer service rep last week regarding sirious sat radio....... i asked the rep female what state she was currently at? she said omaha nebraska.... i said "wow, thats where warren buffet started his wealth" she replyed " HE PAID FOR MY COLLEGE" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have read his book and was happy to have spoken to someone who was wealthy and gives back to the people. i like to add that carlos sleum also wanted to purchase and provide xm radio throughout mexico.... the deal was never made because the service would not be 100% for all in mexico.

carlos sleum also owns the tire manufacturing plants..... and that junk automotive oil known as bardahl......

i am not inpressed by his wealth or rank among the rich. social responsibility should be on anyone that has that much wealth.....

Rolly

May 29, 2011, 11:20 AM

Post #11 of 23 (8023 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexliving] Mexican government says NO to Carlos Slim

His name is Carlos Slim, not Sleum.

Rolly Pirate

johanson

May 29, 2011, 11:53 AM

Post #12 of 23 (8016 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Mexican government says NO to Carlos Slim

It gets worse. In Ajijic (where most of us "nacos" don't bother to learn Spanish), we pay $4.20 pesos per minute per local Telcel call, because we have never bothered to learn that we can have up to 3 friends that we can call for free as many times per day as we wish as long as each call is less than five minutes. The Amigo Plan

Many of us also haven't learned that during the first year instead of $4.20 per minute before discount, one can have 9 or ten registered friends and pay $1.19 pesos per minute before discount, or that after the first year, one can join the Loyalty Plan" (Plan fidelidad) for free and make all local Telecel to Telcel calls for $1.19 pesos per minute before discount.

For example, I know this person from the States who has lived in Mexico for 32 years now, hasn't learned Spanish, and averages paying about $800 pesos per two month period who would if s/he were to take advantage of the free friends calls and for other calls for $1.20 per minute would be paying between $100 and $200 pesos per 2 month billing period.

Maybe I'm being unfair, because maybe if we had grandchildren down here with cell phones, they would make sure that Grandma and Grandpa don't pay too much.

joaquinx

May 29, 2011, 12:49 PM

Post #13 of 23 (8005 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexliving] Mexican government says NO to Carlos Slim

If you think that he's cheap look here http://www.carlosslim.com/...onsabilidad_ing.html
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

stevebrtx

May 29, 2011, 1:48 PM

Post #14 of 23 (7984 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Mexican government says NO to Carlos Slim

Here's a thought, maybe we could get him to buy the CFE? Couldn't hurt.

Marlene

May 30, 2011, 9:59 AM

Post #15 of 23 (7889 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Mexican government says NO to Carlos Slim

Thank you for posting that information. Hopefully it straightens out the erroneous assumption that Mr. Slim doesn't give back.

P.S. We had a problem with our phone line last week. Finally Friday morning, we called in a trouble report, as it seemed to be getting worse. We had no expectations of when we might see a repairman, or even IF we would see one. Within an hour of our call, the Telmex car was at the front gate. I almost fainted, since we don't live anywhere close to their offices. The chipper little repairman fixed our problem immediately. Something was wrong in the "green box" a couple of blocks away. In fact, he rewired a jack for us, something not part of the problem but will make life easier. (He earned a good tip because he was so speedy and helpful). We have their internet as well, and never a problem.

(This post was edited by Marlene on May 30, 2011, 10:10 AM)

prorader

May 30, 2011, 10:35 AM

Post #16 of 23 (7870 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Mexican government says NO to Carlos Slim

Although no cable, Telmex in the other 2 areas can't touch Mega Cable, Mega Cable is almost equal to Us standards, a 2 T line running 15 - 20 Mbs average superior TV quality just wish they where all over the country

Mexberry

Jun 1, 2011, 8:53 PM

Post #17 of 23 (7708 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Mexican government says NO to Carlos Slim

Forbes Magazine has Snr C Slim Helu in first spot in the richest person in the world, $53 billion being his estimated worth, just ahead of Bill Gates. Messrs Gates and Buffett have pooled their resources into a foundation along with other wealthy families. Carlos Slim Helu should do something similar. Dishing out the odd billion here and there does not cut it for me.

richmx2

Jun 2, 2011, 12:02 AM

Post #18 of 23 (7687 views)

Shortcut

OTOH, at the risk of sounding like a flack for Sr. Slim, his arguments against just giving away half his wealth are logical, and, in a sense, based on patriotism. As he pointed out, Gates and Buffet get a HUGE tax break for setting up those foundations, which are designed to foster the social objectives of those individuals. Slim, on the other hand, is paying taxes, and accepting the right of the Mexican state to spend that money as it sees fit.

Of course, he also makes the classic "conservative" argument that his businesses create jobs and help the economy.

Funny you don't see attacks on the Azcarraga clan, which is also hold a monopoly on a public utility, and haven't been shy about using their power to have federal policies changed to suit their business needs.

http://mexfiles.net
http://mexicobookpublishers.com

Marlene

Jun 2, 2011, 5:43 AM

Post #19 of 23 (7672 views)

Shortcut

Re: [richmx2] Mexican government says NO to Carlos Slim

And the Salinas empire rounds out the "Battle of the 3 Billionaires" in the Mexico telecommunications arena.

(This post was edited by Marlene on Jun 2, 2011, 5:44 AM)

Don Gringo

Jun 2, 2011, 8:14 PM

Post #20 of 23 (7571 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Mexican government says NO to Carlos Slim

We quit Telmex last year. I have a VoiP service for US phone service that gives us plenty of minutes to call local Mexico numbers. We love it because we no longer have "breathers" calling us and most people won't call us just because they can.

TelCel rates. Texting with TelCel is the only way to go. Texting is not a fad in Mexico. Text on TelCel is the cheapest way to use the service. Notice how many Mexicans text all the time. Now you know why. 100 pesos with text only could probably last a month.
Lived for 35 months in Mexico. I feel like I paid my dues...

johanson

Jun 2, 2011, 9:24 PM

Post #21 of 23 (7562 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don Gringo] Mexican government says NO to Carlos Slim

I'm sitting here in the rain up North wondering when the sun will come out. If I remember right, a Telcel text message costs 0.89 pesos while a one minute phone call costs $1.19 pesos before discounts (In both cases local Telcel to Telcel call if you are a member of the free program Plan Fidelidad). Please remember that you can also call up to three persons on Telcel for free as many times per day as you want (as long as no call lasts as long as 5 minutes).

So yes, texting is great, but phoning for free is even better. Again, it costs nothing for the first year to phone up to three friends, as long as you register their #s very soon after you open your account. The second year you will have to pay $49 or $49.99 per year, I don't remember which, per person for another year of free phone calls.

So not only can you send text messages but phone for free.

atomant

Sep 6, 2011, 12:46 PM

Post #22 of 23 (6336 views)

Shortcut

Yesterday I noticed Megacable had removed the American Network so I had the bright idea to drop the cable tv part of my tv/internet/phone package and intended to get SKY, so I had my wife call Megacable and make the request. Well....Megacable informed her that that was not going to happen. They explained.....if you have internet and phone then it's possile for you to steal tv so therefore you have to continue with the 3 pack or nothing. She called them again later and said she wanted new service in a different house and they told her the same thing....all three or nothing. So....I guess Megacable has gotten on the monopoly wagon. And the option to switch everything to Telcel/Telmex is out of the question. Oh....I'm in Leon if that makes a difference.

careyeroslib

Sep 6, 2011, 1:30 PM

Post #23 of 23 (6324 views)

Shortcut

A poster above said that a telephone line with basic Internet is 720 pesos. No. We have two lines, one in Jalisco and one in Nayarit, both with Prodigy Infinitum, and the bills are under around 381 pesos each (assuming no long distance) per month. A real bargain compared to what we pay for phone service and High Speed acccess in Canada.

Also, with respect to Telcel Amigo, I can´t believe how many bonus minutes they give out. Overall, I think the phone service, both landline and cellular is really good in Mexico, both in terms of price and quality of service.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4