Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

Camille

Sep 5, 2011, 1:23 PM

Post #1 of 15 (8606 views)

Shortcut

computer air card

Can't Post | Private Reply
Any advice from any other hapless souls who must depend on a computer air card for internet access? Are there any choices besides Iusacell and Telcel? Any thoughts at all would be useful to me.....I'm trying to avoid a "plan" because I'm away from home all summer and hate to pay for what I'm not using.

sparks

Sep 5, 2011, 5:41 PM

Post #2 of 15 (8573 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Camille] computer air card

You don't pay for what you're not using. When your time/megbytes runs out you need to get the 'card' charged again. Pay the $500+/- pesos per month as you go. Don't get on any auto-pay plan (if they even have one)

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

Camille

Sep 10, 2011, 9:57 PM

Post #3 of 15 (8481 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] computer air card

Problem solved, and it only took two long trips to PV, one To Bucerias Mega, and another several hours when the Iusacell ladies came to me in Punta Mita. For 1500p I got a 4G aircard which costs 400p per month for airtime, no plan. Truly weird because I had been paying 500p per month for 3G service. MagicJack works, Youtube downloads, life is good after only 20+ hours of grim frustration.
Viva Me!

johanson / Moderator

Sep 10, 2011, 10:57 PM

Post #4 of 15 (8476 views)

Shortcut

Great news. The price is right too. We now have a new Iusacell tower in Ajijic, near the movie theater and El Toritos. What type of speeds do you get when you check at www.speedtest.net ?

(This post was edited by johanson on Sep 10, 2011, 10:59 PM)

Camille

Sep 10, 2011, 11:06 PM

Post #5 of 15 (8470 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] computer air card

The upload speed seems to be around 1.52 and the download 6.17. They vary slightly over three tests. But a BIG improvement over their 3G!!!

sparks

Sep 11, 2011, 6:02 AM

Post #6 of 15 (8459 views)

Shortcut

1500? I know Iusacell has a few models but didn't know they went that high.

.... and how do you get Iusacell ladies to come to your house. I figured you buy the stick, get an instruction manual in Spanish and you are on your own

Camille

Sep 11, 2011, 7:40 AM

Post #7 of 15 (8439 views)

Shortcut

Yeah, well, factor in the suddenly "missing" chip from the 3G unit at the Mega office, the first trip to downtown PV Iusacell to buy the new 4G unit, the trip to the Gallerias Iusacell to actually pick it up, the trip home and the failure to be able to connect, the trip back to Gallerias, the trip back downtown where after three hours it was determined they had given me a bum BAM, and I guess even Iusacell realized they owed me one. Each trip downtown costs me 200p in gas and two hours of my time. They sent the ladies to an easy-to-find restaurant in Punta Mita, not to my casa in the deep jungle. And the BAM works MUCH better up here than actually at the beach.
All I know is I wouldn't go through it again, but I'm glad I did once!

Kimpatsu Hekigan

Sep 11, 2011, 10:12 AM

Post #8 of 15 (8423 views)

Shortcut

For those of us who might be wondering what "BAM" is, it stands for Banda Ancha Móvil (= "mobile broadband").

Here's a link for Iusacell's BAM 4G service (in Spanish):

BAM 4G Internet Móvil

---

I found a coverage map of Mexico showing where Iusacell has 3G service, but I haven't been able to figure out if that means there is automatically 4G service in those areas, too.

Iusacell 3G Coverage Map

FWIW,

-- K.H.

Before enlightenment: Chop wood, haul water.
After enlightenment: Chop wood, haul water.

sparks

Sep 11, 2011, 4:50 PM

Post #9 of 15 (8403 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Kimpatsu Hekigan] computer air card

That map does not go north of Colima on the coast (Melaque/Barra) .... but they are selling it here as 4G

albertrv

Oct 23, 2011, 5:35 PM

Post #10 of 15 (7899 views)

Shortcut

Is there anyone lakeside using a IUSACELL 4G phone or modem and getting a usable 4G signal. I'm getting 3G with my Blackberry Storm 2 on the southside and the speedtest shows up to 1.2 down. Almost double what my Hughesnet Dish does.
Albert
www.lagunachapala.com/fsbo
www.monarchhostingservices.com

johanson / Moderator

Oct 23, 2011, 6:25 PM

Post #11 of 15 (7893 views)

Shortcut

Re: [albertrv] computer air card

I have visited two cell phone offices in Ajijic, one on the first floor of the building where the new Iusacell tower is located, asking the same question.. (The local Iusacell tower in Ajijic is on the top of the building that holds El Torito.)

Sadly, so far, I have not found anyone who knows anything about Iusacell, locally. I just understand that they offer 4G in other areas and hopefully here and that some of us posted this question on this and the other forums I visit. Sadly no one yet has posted on a forum, that I read, with the answer

albertrv

Oct 24, 2011, 10:36 AM

Post #12 of 15 (7858 views)

Shortcut

We have friends living close to Tizapan who use a IUSACELL 4G modem. Sadly they only pull in a 1X signal but for them is better than nothing. I'm going to have to bribe them into a trip to San Luis Soyatlan with there laptop so I can do some testing. IUSACELL is really pushing 4G in Gdl and they are switching from CDMA to GSM. I know that 4G is different again but I'm hoping its in their plans to put it on all the new installations.

I did some testing between Joco and Chapala. The new tower in Joco hasn't been turned on yet so its 1X to El Centro where my phone switches over to EV-DO. There is one gap in the signal near the Farmacia Gdl in Chapala and Chapala itself is 3 bars out of 5 in the downtown area.
Albert

albertrv

Dec 14, 2011, 7:49 AM

Post #13 of 15 (7260 views)

Shortcut

Yesterday I picked up a new IUSACELL 4G (actually 3.75G) modem and considering my location I'm extremely happy with it. There is a problem with the manual not being accurate in regards to the password for the setup page but that I'm sure I'll solve with a call to support today. Even without being able to access the setup I still have two computers online at a much faster speed than my old Hughesnet system could provide. Speedtest.net is telling me I have just over 1 Mbps drawing from a tower at least 8 kms away across the lake. This is 3 times what I had in the past. The modem I picked up is not on their website yet but is in the printed catalog. It is a ZTE MF60 and is capable of providing a WiFi signal to 8 computers at the same time. I'm paying 599p for a data allowance of 10 GB/mo. Next time I head to the north shore I plan on taking the modem and doing a speedtest from there. In addition an external antenna is in the plans which would increase speed on the south side a whole bunch.
Albert

(This post was edited by albertrv on Dec 14, 2011, 8:26 AM)

johanson / Moderator

Dec 14, 2011, 11:48 AM

Post #14 of 15 (7239 views)

Shortcut

Thank you very much for the update. I only know one family that uses Iusacell. And they are from Veracruz and come here many days per month to sell coffee often in Ajijic, near Actinver-Lloyd.

They say that it's a great company and if you have good coverage in your area you should consider using it.

sparks

Dec 14, 2011, 2:43 PM

Post #15 of 15 (7224 views)

Shortcut

I wanted to try the IUSACELL Internet service but everyone said the signal faded about halfway between Manzanillo and Melaque. If you travel in Mexico, overall coverage should be considered.

I ended up with Telcel and an 18 month contract that includes a USB modem and an IPhone for $700 pesos a month. Hardware included. IPhone is unlimited Internet and the modem has a 10 gig limit.

Now I get to learn how to use a smart phone

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4