Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

ronincolima

Sep 4, 2011, 12:43 PM

Post #1 of 14 (1745 views)

Shortcut

Birth Certificate

Can't Post | Private Reply
Is a Birth Certificate and copies needed for entry in to Mexico and Car Permit? I don't see if mentioned but just want to make sure.

Thanks

You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes
You might find
You'll get what you need. (Jagger, Richards)

Rolly

Sep 4, 2011, 12:52 PM

Post #2 of 14 (1734 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ronincolima] Birth Certificate

No

Rolly Pirate

CanuckBob

Sep 4, 2011, 4:38 PM

Post #3 of 14 (1691 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Birth Certificate

It is if you do not have a passport. No?

Bob
Inside Lakeside
http://www.insidelakeside.com

joaquinx

Sep 4, 2011, 4:49 PM

Post #4 of 14 (1687 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CanuckBob] Birth Certificate

Can't Post |
Is it time that you need a passport to get back into the USA?
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

Rolly

Sep 4, 2011, 5:05 PM

Post #5 of 14 (1679 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Birth Certificate

A passport is required going both ways -- into México or into the USA.

Rolly Pirate

chinagringo

Sep 4, 2011, 6:18 PM

Post #6 of 14 (1663 views)

Shortcut

Besides, if you show them a birth certificate, you might end up with a nickname for life like I did!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

don pedro

Sep 5, 2011, 7:15 AM

Post #7 of 14 (1607 views)

Shortcut

when we were here and registering our first fm3 not only was a bc required but translation to espanol by a certified translator. ours cost more because it was harder to find a ct for german and when they were found they charged more.
but for what you asked-no.
http://chapalamexicoinfo.createforumhosting.com
naivete is a chronIc disease and by its very nature;the afflicted never know they have it.-SNORK!

CanuckBob

Sep 5, 2011, 9:30 AM

Post #8 of 14 (1576 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Birth Certificate

Oh that's right they changed the requirement March 1, 2010.

Lo siento,

Bob
Inside Lakeside
http://www.insidelakeside.com

Papirex

Sep 5, 2011, 5:44 PM

Post #9 of 14 (1521 views)

Shortcut

Forget The way it was done 10 years ago, things are different today. If you are arriving by air, an American airline will probably refuse to sell you a ticket until they see your passport.

Many years ago, before I moved here, a American airline refused to sell me a ticket until I showed them a passport, or a US birth certificate. Birth certificates are not recognized anymore, only a passport will do.

If you decide to pay the extra fee for expedited passport service, you will be well advised to allow at least a month to get your passport, that’s how long it took to get mine the last time I paid that fee.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Papirex

Sep 5, 2011, 6:02 PM

Post #10 of 14 (1516 views)

Shortcut

No vehicle permit or passport is required, unless it is a recent law, when entering the free zone, as long as you don't go farther than about 20 kilometers in to México, and you do not stay for more than 48 hours. All of Baja California states are in the free zone too.

Visitors have ended up in trouble because they entered México through the free zone, and just kept going because no one stopped them. You are expected to know, and obey the laws here just as in any other country.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

mazbook1

Sep 5, 2011, 6:10 PM

Post #11 of 14 (1510 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] Birth Certificate

That Baja "free zone" also includes most (if not all of Sonora). However, if you live or winter in the free zone, you still must get either a FMM (180 days-renewable only at the border), FM3 (1 year-renewable at your local INM office ) or the FM2 (1 year renewable) for which you need a passport. Even if you are in the border/free zone less than 48 hours, you STILL need a passport to get back into the U.S.

morgaine7

Sep 5, 2011, 7:03 PM

Post #12 of 14 (1498 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] Birth Certificate

The "border zone" and the "free zone" aren't synonymous. Baja California Sur, for example, is part of the "free zone" but not part of the "border zone". You don't need a car permit to visit BCS, but you do need a passport.

http://travel.state.gov/...l#entry_requirements

Since March 1, 2010, all U.S. citizens – including children – have been required to present a valid passport or passport card for travel beyond the “border zone” into the interior of Mexico. The “border zone” is generally defined as an area within 20 to 30 kilometers of the border with the U.S., depending on the location. Regardless of the destination in Mexico; however, all U.S. citizens age 16 or older must present a valid U.S. passport book or passport card to re-enter the U.S. by land. A passport book is required to return to the United States via an international flight.

Kate

mazbook1

Sep 6, 2011, 3:38 PM

Post #13 of 14 (1421 views)

Shortcut

Re: [morgaine7] Birth Certificate

morgaine7, I agree with you that the BC, BCS and Sonora "free zones" are not the border zone. But even in the "border zone", if you wish to stay over 48 hours, you must have an FMM, FM3 or FM2, and getting one of those requires a passport now. And of course even if you are only in the "border zone" (officially la zona frontera) for 5 minutes, you definitely need a passport to get back into the U.S.

morgaine7

Sep 6, 2011, 6:03 PM

Post #14 of 14 (1398 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Birth Certificate

Yes, and in the non-border areas of the free zone, you need an FMM or FM2/3 even if visiting for less than 48 hours. I don't like to see the terms "border zone" and "free zone" used interchangeably, which causes confusion for new visitors.

Never underestimate how mystifying all this can be. We get folks down here who cross the border by land to Tijuana, fly to BCS (or even to mainland Mexico), and get into trouble because they aren't given FMMs on the domestic flights and therefore assume they don't need them.

Kate

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4