Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

rockydog85251

Aug 28, 2011, 12:08 PM

Post #26 of 32 (1244 views)

Shortcut

Re: [halfmexi] Queston on bringing in a dog

| Private Reply
I must ask why you are so adamant about a US dog? Do you plan on starting a breeding operation? Marlene's dog is 9.5 yrs old & I remember when they got it...no problems so far. On one hand you say you don't trust the breeders here & then turn around & say that NO vet can do a test truly determining if dysplasia is going to be a problem in the future. Wouldn't that also apply to the vets in the US? I would doubt that a reputable breeder, anywhere, would risk their reputation by knowingly selling defective animals. I used to own & show an afghan hound that had lineage from the 1st one imported to the US....impeccable breeding & because I was showing him, I was "allowed" to keep him unaltered.....if he had been only a pet.....I would have been required to have him nuetered. It may be the same with a rotti from a good breeder in the states.

I agree, the easiest way, would be for a friend to meet you at the border & you bring it across as your pet....easiest on all involved parties/pets.
Willie

YucaLandia

Aug 28, 2011, 12:17 PM

Post #27 of 32 (1244 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Axixic] Queston on bringing in a dog

| Private Reply

In Reply To
I was going to post that the OP should have a local vet check the dog out also. I guess telling the OP that veterinarians check for hip dysplasia is also not part of the information he wants. If I wanted a quality Rottweiler, and I wouldn't for any reason, I would find a puppy in the local area that looks good to me and ask the breeder if I can have a vet check the puppy out. That would be less traumatic for the puppy, I would get a healthier dog and spend less money.

I'm sure that commentators mean well with their advice, but when the advice leads in the wrong direction, I think it's good to correct it, rather than leaving it for others to mistakenly follow.

Hip dysplasia in large breed dogs does not usually show up even on X-ray until 2 years, and as the OP noted, it can appear even at 5 years. Reputable breeders with generations of clean dogs can be hard to find.

Simple vet checks of a puppy are not enough Since many cases do not appear until long after the dogs have been bred, then checking the puppy's parents is also not enough. Vet checks are well-meant advice, but off the mark.
steve
-
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Aug 28, 2011, 12:31 PM)

whynotwrite

Aug 28, 2011, 12:25 PM

Post #28 of 32 (1240 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonynico] Queston on bringing in a dog

| Private Reply
spending large sums of money on a dog says something about the human. It is a dog. Just like most any dog. Spending money to buy a dog gives you two things.
1. bragging rights
2. a dog

Axixic

Aug 28, 2011, 12:56 PM

Post #29 of 32 (1230 views)

Shortcut

Re: [eyePad] Queston on bringing in a dog

| Private Reply

In Reply To
hi tony, I'm on your side. Obviously the cultural bias in this thread is USA all the way. Here in Mexico, most people don't give a ^#%@#$ what you do with a dog. And I don't see any cruelty in your plans.

I guess that is why we have animal cruelty laws.

Do you know what this means?

"If [man] is not to stifle his human feelings, he must practise kindness towards animals, for he who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." Immanuel Kan

Axixic

Aug 28, 2011, 1:32 PM

Post #30 of 32 (1223 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Might be a nice dog but within five years that is when problems start to show. I hope yours does not have problems. As I said even with testing there are no guarntees

Hip dysplasia should be seen within 2 years of age. Hip dysplasia is not only genetic. If the litter's parents do not show signs of hip dysplasia and they are over 2 years of age, then the litter should be free of the genetic type hip dysplasia. Environment is another cause.

Why not buy a sight hound if you want a large dog? Because of size, dogs such as an Irish Wolfhounds (males up to and over 200 lbs.) or a Borzoi, as tall as an Irish Wolfhound, no one will enter the property. Irish Wolfhounds are non-aggressive but are the most fearless dog there is. Irish Wolfhounds know no fear of anything. You won't have to worry about some child being bitten and disfigured for the rest of his life like with a Rottweiler or a Pit Bull. The other advantage to sight hounds is they are quiet like cats, no barking at every noise, and they do not get hip dysplasia or other genetic problems especially the Greyhound. Do not buy an Afghan. Those are only for very special, patient people.

An Irish Wolfhound can easily be over 6'4" on his hind legs. One of those peers over a fence at whoever is wanting to climb over and the intruder will skedaddle.

http://irishwolfhound.com.ua/...ry/2/2/lang,english/

Hip dysplasia develops in young growing dogs, and signs maybe noticed as early as four to six weeks of age. However, there is no link between age and severity of this condition which means a very young puppy can be debilitated very early. In other cases dogs may not show any abnormalities until one or two years of age and in some cases may not become painful and lame until they are geriatric (6-10 years of age depending on breed). Here are some signs you should look out for:-

http://www.peteducation.com/...c=2+2084&aid=444

Hip dysplasia can be found in dogs, cats, and humans, but for this article we are concentrating only on dogs. In dogs, it is primarily a disease of large and giant breeds. German Shepherds, Labrador Retrievers, Rottweilers, Great Danes, Golden Retrievers, and Saint Bernards appear to have a higher incidence, however, these are all very popular breeds and may be over represented because of their popularity. On the other hand, sighthounds such as the Greyhound or the Borzoi have a very low incidence of the disease. This disease can occur in medium-sized breeds and rarely in small breeds. It is primarily a disease of purebreds although it can happen in mixed breeds, particularly if it is a cross of two dogs that are prone to developing the disease.

Nutrition: It appears that the amount of calories a dog consumes and when in the dog's life those calories are consumed have the biggest impact on whether or not a dog genetically prone to hip dysplasia will develop the disease.

Exercise: Exercise may be another risk factor. It appears that dogs that are genetically susceptible to the disease may have an increased incidence of disease if they over-exercised at a young age. But at the same time, we know that dogs with large and prominent leg muscle mass are less likely to contract the disease than dogs with small muscle mass.

(This post was edited by Rolly on Aug 28, 2011, 2:01 PM)

frito

Aug 28, 2011, 4:10 PM

Post #31 of 32 (1203 views)

Shortcut

Re: [halfmexi] Queston on bringing in a dog

| Private Reply

In Reply To
I hope your perroto survives the trip, that it doesn't acquire any mental anguish from its stay in the cargo hold, remains healthy and survives many years in an environment for which it's DNA and immune system are not used too.

Another ignorant gringo heading down.... don't we already have enough?

Which makes me ask, are there shots that are needed beyond the normal ones in the U.S. to keep a U.S. dog healthy in Mexico? When I come down my dog will be 13. I'd stay up here until he passes if I thought he would contract a disease. And no, I won't give him away and yes, like him I'd look for a shelter dog in Mexico to replace him. I think Tony can do whatever he likes, he knows what he wants. But I'd recommend to anyone to take a trip to your local shelter. You'd be surprised at the quality of dogs. Biggest problem is settling on one, know most will soon be put down.

DavidMcL

Aug 28, 2011, 4:32 PM

Post #32 of 32 (1201 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Thread locked as it has more than served its purpose.

David
David McL
WebJefe
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4