Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Audrey Bean

Aug 27, 2011, 4:21 AM

Post #1 of 2 (11494 views)

Shortcut

Help!!! Making corn tortillas from scratch

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am really hoping someone can help me!!

I read 4 recipes* for making corn tortillas, all nearly identical, from credible sources (including this one).

The problem is, I can't get them thin enough.

I tried using a rolling pin but the dough breaks apart. I assumed the problem would be gone once I got a tortilla press. I bought one from latinproducts.com, a simple wooden model (big flat wooden press, approx 9" square, with no lip or indentations inside, just a flat wooden surface).

The result is exactly the same. Even if I put my entire body weight on top of the press, the dough is still about half an inch thick. This means tortillas are unusable and inedible.

I tried adding more water, less water, using more/less dough, and using the rolling pin after using the press. No matter what variation I try, I cannot get them thin enough without breaking apart the dough. I can only get them to be about 3" around before they split.

Maybe I need even more water? I am really at a loss and nearly desperate to make my own corn tortillas! I just love them and this has been a fruitless quest of mine for years!!

Thanks

*recipe and products used:

Bob's Red Mill golden corn flour masa harina (1 cup)--recipe from package (product ingredients: corn and lime)

warm water (recipe called for .5 cup + up to 1 more tablespoon if needed, I had to keep adding more just to make a dough, ~2 tablespoons)

(This post was edited by Audrey Bean on Aug 27, 2011, 4:36 AM)

MazDee

Aug 31, 2011, 11:15 AM

Post #2 of 2 (11406 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Audrey Bean] Help!!! Making corn tortillas from scratch

Can't Post | Private Reply
I don't know what you could do except add more water, or start over with different masa. You shouldn't have to work that hard to get a thin tortilla. Is there a tortilleria (tortilla factory) where you live? If so, go ask if you can buy some prepared masa. Many will sell it by the pound. Supermarkets in California (and I presume, in other places) sell prepared masa, also. Or, go buy some Maseca or Quaker brand masa and try mixing that instead of the brand you have.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4