Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

sparks

Aug 24, 2011, 4:07 PM

Post #1 of 6 (2196 views)

Shortcut

Inmigrado conversation extension

Can't Post | Private Reply
I think we've hi-jacked the restricted zone ownership thread enough ... but it does look like citizenship should be on the list of options, not just Trust or Corp.

I've always heard as an extranjero becoming a citizen, it allows you all the 'benefits' except voting. I have a neighbor who is a new citizen and she has a voting card. Is this card limited or regional?

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

esperanza

Aug 24, 2011, 4:18 PM

Post #2 of 6 (2188 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Inmigrado conversation extension

As a Mexican citizen, whether by birth or naturalization, everyone is entitled to vote. The individual citizen's voter registration card is good only for the address where the citizen is registered. For example, my credencial (voter registration card) was good for voting in Morelia based on my address in Morelia. When I moved to Mexico City, I had to go to the voter registration office nearest my home and officially change my address. Next election here, I will be able to vote here.

Sparks, you were misinformed. Voting is the right of every Mexican citizen.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

mazbook1

Aug 24, 2011, 4:46 PM

Post #3 of 6 (2179 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Inmigrado conversation extension

esperanza,

Just as in the U.S., there are certain things reserved for "natural born" citizens, mostly to do with what government positions you can or cannot hold and certain jobs that are quasi-government. México does have more of these limitations on naturalized citizens than the U.S. does though. But a few years back, Calderon's first Secretario de Gobierno (the second highest job in the Mexican government) was held by a naturalized Mexican citizen from Spain. A ˇpinche gachupěn! LOL

However, as a naturalized Mexican citizen, like yourself, I have my credencial para votar, and already have voted in a Sinaloa and Mazatlán election. Also, I was able to have my fideicomiso cancelled for the property I own in the exclusionary zone.

sparks

Aug 24, 2011, 4:59 PM

Post #4 of 6 (2166 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Inmigrado conversation extension

In Reply To
Sparks, you were misinformed. Voting is the right of every Mexican citizen.

I've been misinformed since I fell off the turnip truck ... but entering my sixth year soon I hope most of it will come together

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

joaquinx

Aug 24, 2011, 6:04 PM

Post #5 of 6 (2140 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Inmigrado conversation extension

I believe that the only thing a naturalized citizen can not do is hold public office.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

YucaLandia

Aug 24, 2011, 6:20 PM

Post #6 of 6 (2122 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Inmigrado conversation extension

Naturalized Citizens also cannot render voluntary services to a foreign government, unless approved by the Congreso Federal o de su commison permanente, nor can they accept or use foreign government titles of nobility (no fealty). Article 32 of the Constitution bans immigrants, foreigners, and naturalized citizens of Mexico from serving as Mexican-flagged airline crews or ship crews, Military Officers, or chiefs of seaports and airports.

Another restriction: Naturalized Mexican Citizens can be stripped of their Mexican citizenship if they live abroad continuously for more than five years, under Article 37, Item II.
-
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4