Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

johang

Aug 17, 2011, 6:02 AM

Post #1 of 6 (2988 views)

Shortcut

Driving to Nayarit from Canada

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have started what may be a series of articles on the best routes from Canada to Mexico, (tricks, traps and turnoffs). I have kicked it off with my preferred route here: Vancouver to Nayarit. Whether it becomes a series depends on the feedback I get. I could write a lot of articles but without personal experiences they would only be what anyone can get from Google maps.

Johan....If we all do a little we can do a lot. Visit our little corner of paradise at the Jaltemba Jalapeño.

bfwpdx

Aug 18, 2011, 4:04 PM

Post #2 of 6 (2899 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johang] Driving to Nayarit from Canada

We drive from Vancouver Island to Jocotepec for the winter and have tried several routes, including highway 93 which you have described. We also stop over in Portland on the way to visit with family so we consider that we officially leave from there. This may be an obvious comment but nonetheless needs to be said. The over-riding factor for the choice of our route has to be the weather. We have gone down in most winter months, only excluding December. Last winter we left Portland early November and went through Twin Falls Idaho and south to Henderson Nevada (Las Vegas). However, it was freezing at the higher elevations and there was a light dusting of snow all along the route. Just days (weeks?) after we went through they had a massive snow storm. Given the elevation, the isolation of that route and the paucity of traffic I would not recommend the route for the winter months, although it is a stunning drive and very easy at other times. Similarly we watch carefully the two other areas of concern, The Grapevine coming south into LA and the pass over the Siskiyou range just south of Ashland. The time we came down in January, the Grapevine was closed due to snow. At times we change our route just to accommodate to the current conditions, and always consider taking the long route along the coast if the mountain passes look questionable.

johang

Aug 18, 2011, 4:19 PM

Post #3 of 6 (2892 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bfwpdx] Driving to Nayarit from Canada

That is an excellent point. I usually go early and come back late so I don't have that problem but I have hit slush and snow at times. Google estimates the route through LA at only an extra hour and I would be surprised if it isn't even quicker if you don't hit heavy traffic in the major centres.

Johan....If we all do a little we can do a lot. Visit our little corner of paradise at the Jaltemba Jalapeño.

tashby

Aug 18, 2011, 6:39 PM

Post #4 of 6 (2880 views)

Shortcut

I'm not a commuter like some of you, and have only done the drive (from Seattle) once. But we chose to head east to Boise, then south to Salt Lake City. We were not in a hurry and wanted to take our time enjoying the scenery of Southern Utah. It was absolutely spectacular and well worth it. We drove it late March, so still some snow, but not big deal. Southern Utah and Northern Arizona are definitely worth the time if you have it to spend.

Yacatecuhtli

Aug 18, 2011, 10:02 PM

Post #5 of 6 (2864 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Driving to Nayarit from Canada

What about to Toronto, whats your favourite route?

! Al pan, pan y al vino, vino !

sanjuan

Sep 4, 2011, 3:17 PM

Post #6 of 6 (2527 views)

Shortcut

Most people who take the western route don't drive through LA but instead go east at Bakersfield to Mojave and Barstow and then go south to San Bernardino or east to Needles and on to the Phoenix area.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4