Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

tashby

Aug 12, 2011, 8:04 PM

Post #1 of 8 (3314 views)

Shortcut

Guadalajara Neighborhoods

Can't Post | Private Reply
I confess I have a love/hate relationship with Guadalajara. The city holds great things, but I find it difficult to enjoy because it seems so car oriented. (That may very well be because I live at Lake Chapala and always find myself in a car when I'm navigating the city. I don't know the city well.) My point is....

I just spent a month in Mexico City and stayed in colonia La Condesa. Granted, that is a privileged spot. But it was so enjoyable because it was pedestrian friendly - anything you could need or want is right outside your door for a nice day or evening - plus it provided easy access via public transit or taxi to other centrally located areas.

I want to take greater advantage of what Guadalajara has to offer - say for long weekends or whatever - but don't want to be a slave to the car.

Does Guadalajara offer any pleasant, pedestrian-friendly, self-contained, centrally-located neighborhoods that provide easy access to other areas via public transportation?

Thanks!

P.S./Edit: Yes, I know about Tlaquepaque.

(This post was edited by tashby on Aug 12, 2011, 8:05 PM)

sioux4noff

Aug 13, 2011, 1:59 PM

Post #2 of 8 (3240 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Guadalajara Neighborhoods

We just returned from a 5 night stay at the Hotel Cervantes in the Centro Hisorico. We loved the location, we could walk to many things. We did drive to Guadalajara and also di a fair amount of exploring by car.
The area around Av. Chapultepec looks like a nice one to stay in, too.

gsherwin

Aug 15, 2011, 6:19 AM

Post #3 of 8 (3134 views)

Shortcut

I have lived in Centro for one year without a car and no boredom.
Centro is geared towards walking and the buses work great as long as it is before 10pm.
There are doubtless more upscale barrios than Centro, but downtown is teaming with interesting folks and plenty to do...
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
Sea usted mismo, los demás ya está tomada.
Oscar Wilde

esperanza

Aug 15, 2011, 8:13 AM

Post #4 of 8 (3106 views)

Shortcut

For several years, I lived in Col. Vallarta San Jorge, very close to the Minerva. It's a predominately residential colonia, with tree-lined streets, a lovely park, and a Soriana supermarket. A quick walk and you're at the Av. México Wal-Mart, with a taxi sitio if you want a ride home with your purchases. There are many restaurants, shops, and other services within easy walking distance, including a Farmacia Guadalajara, an excellent veterinarian, the bakery that makes the wonderful seven-grain bread that is sold at SuperLake, and a fantastic rosticería for whole chickens and turkey legs. A little bit farther afield you'll find a McDonald's, a Burger King, and a Dairy Queen, if those interest you.

Av. México and Av. Hidalgo, which run through and to one side of the colonia, are direct routes east to the Centro Histórico, either by taxi or city bus. A quick taxi ride takes you a bit west to one of the best and biggest tianguis in the city: Tianguis del Sol. Man, I miss going there, especially on Fridays.

There are a lot of things I miss about Guadalajara, and one of them is the ease of getting around.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Bennie García

Aug 15, 2011, 4:02 PM

Post #5 of 8 (3057 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Guadalajara Neighborhoods

In Reply To

The area around Av. Chapultepec looks like a nice one to stay in, too.

There really isn't anything comparable to La Condesa in Guadalajara but the colonias surrounding the area by sioux4noff probably come the closest.

Check out the colonias Americana and Lafayette. All types of small businesses for all of your necessities with an abundance of bars, cafes and restaurants. One of the nicer older parts of town. If you know where the US Consulate is located then you have an idea where I am talking about. It is easy to access el centro via public transportation.

sioux4noff

Aug 15, 2011, 5:26 PM

Post #6 of 8 (3037 views)

Shortcut

We've been tossing around the idea of spending a longer time in Guadalajara, several weeks to a month. But we'd want to bring our dogs if we stay that long.
Does anyone know of an apartment or house for rent for that length of stay?
We would need a place with parking for our car, on street parking would be acceptable, pets would need to be ok, and cable TV and internet would be a real plus. We don't need fancy, and a minimal kitchen would be ok since we don't cook a lot.
Thanks for any help.

esperanza

Aug 15, 2011, 5:57 PM

Post #7 of 8 (3026 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Guadalajara Neighborhoods

Check here, you might find something good: http://www.vrbo.com/.../jalisco/guadalajara

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

tashby

Aug 16, 2011, 6:20 PM

Post #8 of 8 (2957 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Guadalajara Neighborhoods

I don't want anyone to think I'm not paying attention to this thread. Thanks for the responses, all.

Lucky me. I have a friend with a house that's just a stones throw from Los Arcos. I've spent some time in the area around the Centro Magno shopping center, and nearby the US Consulate. It's a nice neighborhood. I need to spend more time in that area when I'm not driving - or being driven - so I can explore it on foot and actually experience it in more detail.

I also forget how easy it is to get from there to el centro for a binge of that. Time to take advantage of my friend's open invitation to stay at his house.

(This post was edited by tashby on Aug 16, 2011, 6:22 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4