Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

La Isla

Aug 22, 2011, 1:31 PM

Post #26 of 39 (5491 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] Update

Can't Post | Private Reply
Maybe transbordador would be seen as the "proper" word for ferry and panga as slang.

Vichil

Aug 22, 2011, 3:13 PM

Post #27 of 39 (5482 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Update

If you search for the schedule of the ferry in Spanish you will see schedules for tansbordador as well as ferry no mention of panga so panga must be the local term. It turns out that the ferry companies also the word ferry in their ads in Spanish. No need to complicate one´s life looking for the perfect Spanish term!

(This post was edited by Vichil on Aug 22, 2011, 5:59 PM)

La Isla

Aug 22, 2011, 4:09 PM

Post #28 of 39 (5473 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] Update

Thanks for the linguistic information, Vichil. So ferry can be added to the list: el parking (for parking lot), ligth (sic) for anything low in calories, blueberries, un mail (for an email message), el boiler (for water heater) and so on.

Bennie García

Aug 22, 2011, 4:38 PM

Post #29 of 39 (5466 views)

Shortcut

"El ADO que naufrago en el Mar: La noche del 22 de Agosto de 1980 en Ciudad del Carmen poblacion ubicada en la Isla del Carmen, estado de Campeche sin la existencia de puentes que comunicaran a la isla sobre la Laguna de Términos y el Golfo de México, el paso de personas y vehículos en aquella época era llevado a cabo por viejos y oxidados transbordadores popularmente llamados “Pangas”. Durante la travesía de la Panga "Campeche" al mando del Capitan Julio César Quej Parra, desde su embarque de tierra firme en Punta Real al puerto de isla Aguada en el lado este de la isla, naufrago arrastrando a todos vehículos junto con más de 100 personas en su interior. Uno de esos vehículos fue un autobús ADO Dina Olímpico
Aquella noche lluviosa los más de 100 pasajeros buscaban refugio para no mojarse. Algunos permanecieron en el interior del ADO y sus vehículos, y el resto en el interior del área de pasaje de la panga."

Periodico Tribuna Campeche,

"El pangazo del Carmen"

Vichil

Aug 22, 2011, 5:56 PM

Post #30 of 39 (5458 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] Update

There was no doubt in my mind that Steve was correct on the ferry being called panga in Yucatan and your quote settles it.

Languages change and I am no purist. In France we have a vocabulary and grammar police called L Academie Francaise and they decide what is correct and what is not. In my opinion they are wasting their time, people use whatever words they want to use.

Being so close to the US a lot of English words are creeping into Spanish here, I do not have a problem with it that either.

Only dead languages do not change and that is what make spoken languages fun.

(This post was edited by Vichil on Aug 22, 2011, 6:10 PM)

Vichil

Aug 22, 2011, 6:20 PM

Post #31 of 39 (5449 views)

Shortcut

Lets not forget el ride, el spray, la computadora, el carro and many others..

La Isla

Aug 22, 2011, 6:28 PM

Post #32 of 39 (5446 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Lets not forget el ride, el spray, la computadora, el carro and many others..

El ride and el spray have not been fully assimilated into Spanish and are still obviously English words recently adopted into Spanish and may or may not stand the test of time. Obviously la computadora is fully a Spanish word. El carro meaning automobile is, I believe, not a loanword from English but an extension of the original meaning of carro, which was cart or wagon. Aren't etymologies fun?

joaquinx

Aug 22, 2011, 6:37 PM

Post #33 of 39 (5444 views)

Shortcut

Many of the borrowed words are found close to the US border. The farther you are from the border the more "Spanish" Spanish becomes. A Chicano friend of mine once remarked that the closer you get to Argentina, the Spanish is very "Spanish" except for the Italian words.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

La Isla

Aug 22, 2011, 6:47 PM

Post #34 of 39 (5439 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Update

In Reply To
Many of the borrowed words are found close to the US border. The farther you are from the border the more "Spanish" Spanish becomes.

That's true. I doubt you'd hear "la troca" in the center of the country.

Vichil

Aug 22, 2011, 7:09 PM

Post #35 of 39 (5429 views)

Shortcut

Well other languages get into the Spanish so each area has their own particularities. When you are in San Cristobal de las Casas I hear much less English words than in Jalisco but then when someone asks " ¿Como estas?" ,the answer is likely to be " Aqui estoy" which come right out of the Tsotsil and you can hear a lot of other expressions that are particular to the area.
By the way I always heard that car came from the French carrosse but I would not consider the word Car French.

YucaLandia

Aug 22, 2011, 7:10 PM

Post #36 of 39 (5429 views)

Shortcut

Good point about fewer Spanglish words as we move further south of the border.

Our used auto parts yards here are called "dehuesaderos" (which fits older American terms about salvage-yards as bone-yards), but at some point between Queretaro and the Texas border, they start being called something like "yonk". Maybe continuations of this dialogo should move over to the Spanish thread?

Is Tonynico now confident on what to ask for when he wants the ferry?
steve
-
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Aug 22, 2011, 7:11 PM)

Bennie García

Aug 22, 2011, 7:33 PM

Post #37 of 39 (5419 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Update

In Reply To

Our used auto parts yards here are called "dehuesaderos" (which fits older American terms about salvage-yards as bone-yards), but at some point between Queretaro and the Texas border, they start being called something like "yonk". Maybe continuations of this dialogo should move over to the Spanish thread?

Deshuesaderos, huesarios y yonkes (sometime yonques).

Anonimo

Aug 23, 2011, 8:57 AM

Post #38 of 39 (5354 views)

Shortcut

"El "huiter" for the weed eater.

Saludos,
Anonimo

rockydog85251

Aug 23, 2011, 11:52 AM

Post #39 of 39 (5330 views)