Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

RickS

Aug 3, 2011, 7:17 AM

Post #1 of 6 (4950 views)

Shortcut

9 Pollsters Vanish

Can't Post | Private Reply
9 pollsters in Mexico vanish in volatile Michoacan stateBy the Los Angeles TimesPosted: 08/03/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT

MEXICO CITY Nine workers from two prominent Mexican polling firms were missing Tuesday in the state of Michoacan, which holds elections later this year.
Six pollsters from the Consulta Mitofsky firm vanished over the weekend while surveying residents in Apatzingan, a town in a rural area that has seen bloody clashes between Mexican security forces and a drug-trafficking gang. On Tuesday, a separate firm, Parametria, reported that three of its field workers disappeared in the same region.
Parametria's director, Francisco Abundis, said the workers were part of a 25-member team hired by the Democratic Revolution Party​ to prepare a companion survey to the one being done by Mitofsky on potential mayoral candidates.
Michoacan authorities said police were out in force searching for the workers. Alejandro Poire, a spokesman for President Felipe Calderon​, said the disappearances showed the need to speed efforts to curb kidnapping and other crimes.

Rolly

Aug 3, 2011, 7:43 AM

Post #2 of 6 (4942 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] 9 Pollsters Vanish

UPDATE 6 polling workers freed in western Mexico; 3 still missing
MORELIA, Mexico - A Mexican polling firm said Wednesday that six of its employees have been freed after disappearing over the weekend in the western state of Michoacan, an area plagued by drug-cartel violence.
Read more here.

Rolly Pirate

chinagringo

Aug 3, 2011, 7:57 AM

Post #3 of 6 (4933 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] 9 Pollsters Vanish

I am amazed that they would send "strangers" into an area that is controlled by the cartel or cartels and can only be described as a "war zone". Apatzingan has been unstable for a long period of time and no way that I would care to be an unfamiliar face raising suspicions as to my intentions.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

tonyburton / Moderator

Aug 3, 2011, 9:29 AM

Post #4 of 6 (4910 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] 9 Pollsters Vanish

and they've now found the other three, too:
http://noticierostelevisa.esmas.com/...estadores-parametria

chinagringo

Aug 5, 2011, 9:42 AM

Post #5 of 6 (4793 views)

Shortcut

Post deleted by chinagringo | Private Reply

tonyburton / Moderator

Aug 5, 2011, 9:56 AM

Post #6 of 6 (4788 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] 9 Pollsters Vanish

I'm not sure what your point is.
If we're going to start a thread about missing persons, let's start with the desaparecidos from 1968.

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Aug 5, 2011, 9:57 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4