Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

expatsinmexico

Jul 30, 2011, 10:44 PM

Post #1 of 22 (3181 views)

Shortcut

Early arrival at GDL

Can't Post | Private Reply
  We are looking at the flights available for us into GDL on Alaska Airlines and our best option arrives early at about 4:30 AM. When taking a taxi to Ajijic should one wait till after sunup before taking the trip south to Lake Chapala? Does anyone have any recommendations. My other options are 8:30 PM arrivals. What do you the readers recommend?

texican

Jul 31, 2011, 2:55 AM

Post #2 of 22 (3166 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bound4ajijic] Early arrival at GDL

If it was me I would take a flight to arrive around 8:30. If you arrive that early you would be in Chapala very early and nothing would be open should you need it. I don't worry too much about safety as much as arriving too early and not being able to do anything or contact anyone if needed.

Dreamer Blue

Jul 31, 2011, 8:13 AM

Post #3 of 22 (3143 views)

Shortcut

I took this flight last year, and had the same concerns. In the end, I rented a car at the airport but even with the time that took, I was still early. I spent the time driving from Chapala, looking at the sights, went through Ajijic, on to Jocotopec and then back to Ajijic. There are no coffee shops or restaurants open till about 8:00 am so you have to find something to do till then - unless you have a house or hotel to go to.
If you need some place to sit for a while, there is the donut place across from Farmacia Guadalajara on the main drag coming in to Ajijic. It has a nice little covered patio that is quiet and secure. Also, I would have no problem sitting in the square for a while, watching the trees and birds come to life. It is two blocks down from the Careterra, on Colon.
If none of those appeal, just find a place to sit at the airport and bring a good book! While sunrise may be later than you want, it gets light long before sun-up!

NEOhio1

Jul 31, 2011, 8:48 AM

Post #4 of 22 (3133 views)

Shortcut

Take the AM flight, begin your new day in Mexico, don't end an old one.

Whereever you are staying should be ready to receive you at anytime day or night.

DavidHF

Jul 31, 2011, 9:41 AM

Post #5 of 22 (3121 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NEOhio1] Early arrival at GDL

I agree, get here in the AM. If you arrive at 4:30 you'll be lucky to be Lakeside by 6:30. All the Farmacia Guadaljaras are open 24/7 should you need something. The OXXOs all have coffee, fruit, snacks, and seating. Sunrise restaurant in San Antonio opens at 7:30 serving excellent breakfast.

chinagringo

Jul 31, 2011, 9:48 AM

Post #6 of 22 (3120 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] Early arrival at GDL

While not arriving as early, I am wondering if anyone has experience with the "Globo Cambio" at an early hour(before 7am)? According to the airport website, the location in the International Arrivals Terminal is open 24 hours. Is this location much like the typical airport location where one doesn't receive the best of exchange rates?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

bournemouth

Jul 31, 2011, 10:36 AM

Post #7 of 22 (3112 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Early arrival at GDL

Whenever we are there, the rate never looks very good. There is an ATM close by, at the taxi stands, which would be better.

RickS

Jul 31, 2011, 12:03 PM

Post #8 of 22 (3091 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NEOhio1] Early arrival at GDL

"Wherever you are staying should be ready to receive you at anytime day or night."

Good to know that the next time I come to stay with you, 4:30 a.m. will not be too early ;>)

expatsinmexico

Jul 31, 2011, 5:47 PM

Post #9 of 22 (3050 views)

Shortcut

Thank-you everyone for the advice. I think we will take the early morning flight and hang around the airport for awhile. We will be taking a lot of baggage with us since we are moving down. The reason we are thinking exclusively of Alaska Airlines is they have the most reasonable baggage rates and aren't limiting you to two bags each as many airlines are doing now. We want to bring down our bed linens, towels, guitar, electronics items and other difficult to find items.. Since we will each have several max size bags each we will probably make arrangements for van transport instead of taxi perhaps with Jose Orozco http://www.guideworksorozco.com/index.html. It also sounds that it will help that we will be going directly to a house in Ajijic. thanks again for the ideas.

(This post was edited by bound4ajijic on Jul 31, 2011, 5:49 PM)

tashby

Jul 31, 2011, 7:16 PM

Post #10 of 22 (3032 views)

Shortcut

I don't have any idea why you would kill time waiting at the airport. If you can pre-arrange to have someone let you into the house upon arrival, I'd go directly there. I have friends who take that same flight and don't arrive in Ajijic by taxi til about 5:45am. Immigration is generally (usually...) a breeze at that hour, but you've still got to gather all your luggage, etc.

Jose Orozco is great by the way. I'm not saying it's necessary to hire him for a simple shuttle between the airport and Ajijic, but if you do, you can't go wrong. He's very nice and professional. Also speaks very good English if that's helpful. Might want to bring a map or clear directions with you since, as far as I know, he's really form Guadalajara/Tlaquepaque and his familiarity with Ajijic might be a little limited.

expatsinmexico

Jul 31, 2011, 8:32 PM

Post #11 of 22 (3016 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Early arrival at GDL

Killing time at GDL is just following recommendations from Mexico-Insights to never travel at night.

expatsinmexico

Aug 1, 2011, 7:44 AM

Post #12 of 22 (2964 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Early arrival at GDL

I am interested in any Van transport services that could take us to Ajijic from GDL that you know of. As I said earlier we are moving down and will have lots of luggage (est. 4 max size bags each) plus carry ons. Guadalajara taxis just won't do it.

skier14

Aug 1, 2011, 8:42 AM

Post #13 of 22 (2947 views)

Shortcut

I have seen GDL taxis of van size.

bournemouth

Aug 1, 2011, 8:46 AM

Post #14 of 22 (2945 views)

Shortcut

You could contact the Miramontes family - they have a van in their selection of vehicles. They speak English, live in Ajijic and are extremely reliable:

E-MAIL: miramontes-transfer@hotmail.com

Francisco & Sons --- 1st Office number: (52) 376 - 766 -1142

2nd Office Number: (52) 376 - 766 - 4917

Luis, Cell Number: (52) 1 - 331 - 307 - 8289

Miguel, Cell Number: (52) 1 - 331 - 095 - 2185

expatsinmexico

Aug 1, 2011, 9:03 AM

Post #15 of 22 (2935 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skier14] Early arrival at GDL

Thanks for the info...will check that out.

expatsinmexico

Aug 1, 2011, 9:04 AM

Post #16 of 22 (2935 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Early arrival at GDL

Thanks, sounds like a good option.

DavidHF

Aug 1, 2011, 9:49 AM

Post #17 of 22 (2925 views)

Shortcut

When you go to the Taxi window to purchase your ticket simply ask for a VAN. The cost is $100 pesos additional. We had one last week after arriving from the USA at 8 PM; basic fee $380 + 100. Good service right to our door.

expatsinmexico

Aug 1, 2011, 10:10 AM

Post #18 of 22 (2913 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] Early arrival at GDL

Thanks for a great piece of information.

bournemouth

Aug 1, 2011, 10:38 AM

Post #19 of 22 (2903 views)

Shortcut

You will need to know exactly where you are going as the drivers do not necessarily know the village that well. A map would really help.

CanuckBob

Aug 1, 2011, 12:46 PM

Post #20 of 22 (2884 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Killing time at GDL is just following recommendations from Mexico-Insights to never travel at night.

No problemo travelling from the airport to the lake early in the morning. We have arrived at that time many times before. We usually have a rental car waiting for us and drive ourselves as we are quite familiar with the area. I have also picked friends up from the airport both early in the morning and late at night. Never had or even seen any problems. I watch for drunks and/or animals on the road especially when coming over the hills down into the lake.

Bob
Inside Lakeside
http://www.insidelakeside.com

expatsinmexico

Aug 1, 2011, 12:59 PM

Post #21 of 22 (2870 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CanuckBob] Early arrival at GDL

Thanks for the info.

sandykayak

Aug 2, 2011, 1:29 PM

Post #22 of 22 (2777 views)

Shortcut

Arranging for someone to meet you can be fraught with situations: your flight is hours late, people at different terminals, hard time connecting with that person and time is wasted when you could just go to the taxi counter and be on your way.

I've taken the van taxi from the airport. It is so easy: you ask anyone "taxi?" and they will point you to the counter. It is inside the airport and then the cabs/vans are a few steps outside.

I have a house in El Parque and I mail my tenants directions (in Spanish and in a large font). They have all said it worked wonderfully. PM me at sandykayak at yahoo dot com and I'll write one up for you.

You will need to get the directions in English and I will translate.
Sandy Kramer
Miami, Fla & El Parque

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4