Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

whistler

Jul 31, 2011, 8:05 AM

Post #1 of 9 (5725 views)

Shortcut

Looking for SMA restaurant recommendation

Can't Post | Private Reply
My wife and I are in SMA for a week and would like a few recommendations. We like all kinds of food Mexican and International, prefer places not too pricey, and especially enjoy o good atmosphere - could be a garden setting, an open patio, etc.

we have many days to explore - breakfasts. lunches and dinners, and would like to try some restaurants in el centro and especially in the surrounding neighborhoods as well...we have no idea where to go!!!

Any suggestions?

Whistler in San Migule

kathleengam

Aug 1, 2011, 6:40 AM

Post #2 of 9 (5678 views)

Shortcut

Re: [whistler] Looking for SMA restaurant recommendation

Hecho en Mexico. Many people like Harry's also.

chinagringo

Aug 1, 2011, 7:22 AM

Post #3 of 9 (5666 views)

Shortcut

Since we are going to be visiting San Miguel de Allende for three nights later this month, I was hoping to see suggestions and comments. We previously visited for a single nights stay and visited Harry's for margaritas and then had dinner at Bella Italia. For our tastes, we found Harry's to be too NOB style and a definite hangout for Gringos. The particular night we tried Bella Italia, we were one of two occupied tables. The food was passable but not memorable and the service was adequate.

You may wish to read through the following ratings and reviews:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/...#EATERY_OVERVIEW_BOX
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

barbaroja

Aug 1, 2011, 8:27 AM

Post #4 of 9 (5653 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Looking for SMA restaurant recommendation

Here are a few of my favorites:

Cafe Rama - best to call and make a reservation for dinner. Friday pre fixe dinner, emphasis on local & organic, reservations required.
La Posadita - go to the rooftop patio, open the menu, close your eyes and point ... enjoy.
Posada Corizon - for breakfast. reservation strongly recommended
Hotel Matilda - expensive, fantastic meals in the restaurant. Great burgers and pizza in the bar
The Restaurant - go there on Thursday for their burger special or Saturday for the BBQ
TOSMA Organic Tianguis - on Saturday at the Ancha de San Antonio entrance for great barbacoa, gorditas, tamales, etc
Tacos Don Felix - guess
Pizza Pig - (new) on the Dolores Hwy just past the RR bridge. Great pizza every day, carnitas on the weekend
Thai Cafe - (also new) not sure if this is the name but it is on Mesones a couple doors up from the Angela Peralta theater.

I won't wast space here on directions. Taxis know the way.

Enjoy!

Barba Roja
http://www.mapaverdesanmiguel.org/

whistler

Aug 1, 2011, 8:48 AM

Post #5 of 9 (5644 views)

Shortcut

Re: [barbaroja] Looking for SMA restaurant recommendation

Any suggestions for really good food - all cuisines, not to expensive?

jrpierce

Aug 1, 2011, 4:34 PM

Post #6 of 9 (5612 views)

Shortcut

Hi Neil,

As you know, restaurants can change in a heartbeat, and we haven't been in SMA for awhile. So take that into consideration and rely on more recent reviews on Trip Advisor or folks on-line. You mentioned that Harry's seemed like a gringo hangout. Well, SMA is a gringo hangout, and many of the restaurants reflect that. A few of the places you might want to check out are:

*Hecho in Mexico: Long-time favorite, owned by an American. I've seen both Mexicans and gringos there.
*La Parroquia: A favorite of ours for breakfast or lunch. Mexicans and gringos both go there and the place is often full. They have a pleasant patio where we like to have breakfast.
*Ten Ten Pie: Simple good Mexican food--no atmosphere--think diner. Inexpensive. Just off the Jardin.
*The Restaurant: newer restaurant. Beautiful--feels like an upscale US restaurant. The food is good and the prices are not quite as high as the US. When I've been there, almost exclusively gringo.

I think all of these are reviewed on Trip Advisor and you can get more information about type of cuisine, etc. there. The restaurant scene in SMA is vibrant and fast-changing, so there may be plenty of newer places I've never even heard about.

Ciao, Jim

chinagringo

Aug 1, 2011, 5:31 PM

Post #7 of 9 (5604 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jrpierce] Looking for SMA restaurant recommendation

Thanks barbaroja and Jim!

Jim, you kind of hit the nail on the head about what we felt with our first very brief one night visit to San Miguel de Allende that was admittedly unfair to draw a solid conclusion from. I do object to being charged $80MXN for a Corona at a sidewalk cafe for lunch and being quoted prices in USD at the Artisan's Market. This time we do have local contacts (she is from NZ & He from MX), who have committed to providing us with some local clues. While we certainly do enjoy a nice sit down evening meal in a good setting, we also object to being stamped as foolish Gringos with plenty of Pesos to spend.

Amazingly, when making hotel reservations for our trip, the most attractive room rate we found anywhere in Mexico was in San Miguel de Allende at a hotel we stayed at before and it met with our needs and expectations.

I mentioned going to Harry's because we had gone there to fulfill a commitment we made to a waiter in a restaurant in Zacatecas. He asked us to carry a "note"to the owner of Harry's. We complied with our promise and arrived at Harry's during happy hour. Their "two for" margaritas certainly passed the taste test but the crowd struck me as a bunch of Gringos hiding out from ex's or former girlfriends/boyfriends. Kathy and I were talking about it and I pulled out a camera to snap a couple of photos. After the first flash, a number of heads snapped away and faces could no longer be visible. Way too funny!

Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Anonimo

Aug 2, 2011, 12:36 AM

Post #8 of 9 (5573 views)

Shortcut

Salad and pizza at La Grotta. The best meal we had in two, 3 day stays in SMA.
Also: quick, cheap and tasty at Tortitlán. (Various locations.)

For other opinions, have a look at my blog, starting here: http://tinyurl.com/3SMARest

Saludos,
Anonimo

chinagringo

Sep 7, 2011, 8:48 AM

Post #9 of 9 (4909 views)

Shortcut

Having just returned home from our trip, I thought that I would do a follow-up to our restaurant experiences in San Miguel de Allende:

Casablanca Restaurant & Bar - Walked up the hill from our hotel to have a drink one night since we had a very late lunch and weren't hungry. Other than the fact that they had little kids chairs at the tables in the bar area, we thought it was an attractive place and the wait staff very friendly. In fact, they brought us a complimentary appetizer plate with about four slices of pizza. We decided to go back the next night for dinner in spite of the fact that I could find no reviews or comments on their food. They did recognize us from the previous evening. We ordered Arrachera and Carbonara and both entrees were well prepared and quite tasty. The real surprise came when they brought a beautifully decorated plate with two Belgian chocolate cups filled with a couple of different types of mousse. The white plate was decorated by using various types and colors of sauce that surrounded the chocolate cups. We were so blown away that I forgot to take a photo. A great spot that deserves to have more business! Located just down the hill from Harry's on the same side of the street.
Slideshow: https://picasaweb.google.com/.../5649617803928160338

La Burger - Stopped at this establishment for a burger on the way back from Dolores Hidalgo. While I was a bit shocked by the $130MXN price for a burger and fries - it was a worthwhile experience. The burger was cooked exactly as asked and I had observed the fries going through a french fry press and immediately immersed in the fryer.
Slideshow: https://picasaweb.google.com/.../5648920546301353538

Pueblo Viejo Restaurant - We went to this establishment because I wanted to get some night shots of the Cathedral and the location just off the main plaza served this purpose. While the restaurant was extremely attractive, we were set back by a wait staff that was not only pushy but also somewhat rude. While waiting for drinks, we received a partial clue about their attitudes - a very large table full of Texans celebrating an upcoming wedding. We were both ashamed to be in the same room with them after just a couple of minutes! Our Chicken Allende and Filet Mignon were less than tasty and our waiter carried on with the same attitude.
Slideshow: https://picasaweb.google.com/.../5649642296249084738
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4