Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

tonynico

Jul 29, 2011, 3:27 PM

Post #1 of 4 (3336 views)

Shortcut

fm3 verus fm2

Can't Post | Private Reply
Went to a facilitator today to discuss my fm application. She is recommending I go for an fm2 since it brings me closer to permanent residency.I realize the laws will be changing so it is hard to make a choice.

As things stand now and they might be different later. I get to keep my car that I am bringing down for ten years
5 under the fm3 and 5 under the fm2 for retired persons.

If I go directly for an fm2 I need to take the car out of the country after 5 yrs ( correct me if I am wrong)

One question I have what would happen if you do not take the car out of the country? I know they can take it but can they have you leave the country for violating the Mexican law?

Thanks
Tony Nico

Rolly

Jul 29, 2011, 5:14 PM

Post #2 of 4 (3312 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonynico] fm3 verus fm2

I say go with the FM3. It costs less. Everything is going to change soon.
By your renewal time there won't be an FM3 or FM2; they'll be merged into one new category
called Residente Temporal.

Read more here.

Rolly Pirate

YucaLandia

Jul 29, 2011, 5:17 PM

Post #3 of 4 (3310 views)

Shortcut

Tony,
Since the regulations for the immigration law have not been written, no one actually knows how many years you will be allowed to keep you foreign plated vehicle under the new law. Since FM2 and FM3 will not exist by the end of this year, the category of Residente Temporal might be your only option for keeping your Temporary Imported vehicle. If they keep similar standards under the new law's regulations, then you would be able to keep the vehicle during future renewals of the Residente Temporal visa, but NO ONE KNOWS until they have written the regulations (due out no later than Nov. 2011).

If you professional "facilitator" has told you that you can get 10 years under FM2 and FM3 renewals, they have not yet done their homework, which might call other parts of their advice into question.
Happy Trails,
steve
=
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

YucaLandia

Jul 29, 2011, 5:22 PM

Post #4 of 4 (3303 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Went to a facilitator today to discuss my fm application. She is recommending I go for an fm2 since it brings me closer to permanent residency.I realize the laws will be changing so it is hard to make a choice.

As things stand now and they might be different later. I get to keep my car that I am bringing down for ten years
5 under the fm3 and 5 under the fm2 for retired persons.

If I go directly for an fm2 I need to take the car out of the country after 5 yrs ( correct me if I am wrong)

One question I have what would happen if you do not take the car out of the country? I know they can take it but can they have you leave the country for violating the Mexican law?

Thanks
Tony Nico

If you do not take the foreign plated car, imported under a Temporary Import permit, out of the country by the ultimate expiration date of your residency permit, then they can confiscate your car. They may also just confiscate your deposit, depending on the circumstances.

And No, they do not deport foreigners for driving a car with an expired permit.
steve
-
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Jul 29, 2011, 5:26 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4