Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

gsgirl11

Jul 20, 2011, 12:43 AM

Post #1 of 16 (10417 views)

Shortcut

Traveling to Guanajuato

Can't Post | Private Reply
My family and I have really looked into going to Guanajuato. We have friends over there, and they´ve told us things that have happened. Plus looking at the news does not make things better. What I´d like to know what´s the best route to take from Houston TX to Leon Guanajuato. Also, are there any tips or something that we should know? We´ve heard that the Laredo border isn´t bad, but any other options would be good to. Any testimonials from the past 6 months would also be great.

Altahabana

Jul 20, 2011, 5:47 AM

Post #2 of 16 (10396 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gsgirl11] Traveling to Guanajuato

In terms of pure distance the shortest route from Houston to Leon is through Laredo/Nuevo Laredo. (350 miles Houston-Laredo and 560 miles N.L.-Leon).

Going through Pharr/Hidalgo/Reynosa is about the same if you take the autopista from Reynosa to Monterrey (350 miles Houston-Border and 565 miles Reynosa-Leon). I would not recommend taking Highway 97 south from Reynosa through central Tamaulipas (San Fernando) as there are still problems in that area. Four passenger buses were hijacked by the Zetas over the weekend south of San Fernando but the passengers were rescued by the military around Soto La Marina. http://www.themonitor.com/...authorities-bus.html

It is a little longer drive but another option would be through Eagle Pass. (337 miles Houston-Eagle Pass and 657 miles Piedras Negras-Leon). There have been few reported security problems on this route and you do not have to travel through the Monterrey metro area as you would if you chose one of the other two routes. I am guessing that the unreassuring news includes what is happening in Monterrey.

I am curious what your friends say about Guanajuato. From what I hear it is relatively calm in relation to the states to the north. Chances are very good you will not experience anything unpleasant on any of the three routes, but there is much more ongoing activity between the cartels and the cartels and the military in the Reynosa/Monterrey regions.

Reefhound

Jul 20, 2011, 6:05 AM

Post #3 of 16 (10392 views)

Shortcut

Did you see the news yesterday in Houston where a 19-yr-old guy was shot five times in the afternoon in front of his home because a couple of punks wanted his Grand Prix with custom rims?

That said, I'd take all the precautions possible when driving through the border area. I wouldn't call Laredo "not bad" but a good deal better than the alternatives in Texas. Drive in day time, use the cuotas, minimize stops, avoid road rage, etc. I would cross at Laredo, cuota to Monterrey then to Ramos, Mx57 to San Luis Potosi, Mx70 to Ojuelos (sp.?), Mx80 to Lagos, and finally there is a highway (can't recall the number, maybe 45?) to Leon.

It's really an individual choice as to how one evaluates risks and what is an acceptable risk. No matter how bad it may be, the odds are still in your favor. Your risk factor on a Mexican highway may be 10x more than a US interstate (just making up a number for illustrative purposes) but your overall risk is still low. It's kinda like buying a lottery ticket. Your odds of winning are very low. Now you could up your odds by buying ten tickets but your odds of winning are still very low. So are you the type that buys ten tickets because it significantly increases your odds, or pointless because it's highly unlikely to change the outcome?

Reefhound

Jul 20, 2011, 6:10 AM

Post #4 of 16 (10391 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Altahabana] Traveling to Guanajuato

I think I'm inclined to agree with the Eagle Pass option right now. So replace the Laredo-Monterrey-Ramos segment with Eagle Pass(Piedras)/Monclova/Ramos on Mx57, then below that everything remains the same. Stay on 57 through the center of Monclova and skip any so-called "bypasses" that some RVers recommend.

gsgirl11

Jul 20, 2011, 12:32 PM

Post #5 of 16 (10332 views)

Shortcut

Re: Traveling to Guanajuato

Thanks for all the help guys, I think we are taking the Eagle Pass route. Another thing that I forgot to add is that does it make a difference traveling with American plates?

Oh and Guanajuato is OK compared to all the things that happen in the Northern states. However, my friends have told us of kidnappings, theft, etc. Another thing that does happen is that thing about the ¨cuota¨. But compared to the things that happen in Monterrey and Tamaulipas, it´s okay.

Altahabana

Jul 20, 2011, 4:34 PM

Post #6 of 16 (10301 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Reefhound] Traveling to Guanajuato

Did you see the news yesterday in Houston where a 19-yr-old guy was shot five times in the afternoon in front of his home because a couple of punks wanted his Grand Prix with custom rims?

I imagine something like that is a big deal in Houston. It would hardly draw a second glance in Monterrey. This from this morning's Milenio.

http://monterrey.milenio.com/...563186d387a2781c2741

http://monterrey.milenio.com/...6305d89c9a2a029a9dd5

http://monterrey.milenio.com/...6305d89c9a2a02905aa4

I am guessing your post was done tongue in cheek.

Gambrinus

Jul 20, 2011, 5:52 PM

Post #7 of 16 (10289 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Reefhound] Traveling to Guanajuato

In Reply To
I think I'm inclined to agree with the Eagle Pass option right now. So replace the Laredo-Monterrey-Ramos segment with Eagle Pass(Piedras)/Monclova/Ramos on Mx57, then below that everything remains the same. Stay on 57 through the center of Monclova and skip any so-called "bypasses" that some RVers recommend.

If you take this route be aware of the police in Castanos, just south of Monclova. Speed limit through there on 57 in some places is 20/30 KMH, this on a wide open 4/6 lane highway. I've traveled through there 14 (7 round trips) in the last 2 1/2 years and every time the police are stopping cars/trucks for speeding. I've been stopped there twice (once each way) but never a ticket or mordida yet.

Reefhound

Jul 20, 2011, 7:22 PM

Post #8 of 16 (10270 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gambrinus] Traveling to Guanajuato

I've also seen heavy traffic patrol in Sabinas, north of Monclova, shortly after you complete the cuota segment from Allende.

Reefhound

Jul 20, 2011, 7:26 PM

Post #9 of 16 (10267 views)

Shortcut

Actually I didn't see it even mentioned on the TV news here but my point was to illustrate that it can happen anywhere, that it is essentially a bad luck lottery or drawing of the black bean.

careyeroslib

Jul 22, 2011, 2:03 PM

Post #10 of 16 (10170 views)

Shortcut

We recently (Sunday and Monday of this week) travelled north from Puerto Vallarta through Guadalajara, Jerez, Zacetecas and Saltillo, and then north via the cuota roads to Nuevo Laredo and briefly into Laredo via Bridge II.

Beautiful roads! Some construction left to do, but, overall, a very fast and pleasant trip. The only military checkpoint was between Saltillo and Zacetecas near the Coahuila Zacetecas state borders. We'd go that way again, i.e., through Nuevo Laredo, providing the situation is as it is at present, with respect to security. My only complaint was that the 4 speed bumps on the American side of Bridge II were too much for our Toyota Camry, which is fairly low to the ground, but can still handle well-designed speed bumps. However, despite creeping successfully over the first 3, it finally scraped on bump #4. Crossing into Mexico was fine (no lineup and no nasty speed bumps). Btw, our Camry has Canadian plates and we have never felt the slightest bit nervous driving around Mexico in that car.

A couple of tips.. When driving in Mexico, have your passenger help you watch out for both speed bumps (not all, unfortunately, are marked) and sudden changes in speed limits. We also try to stick precisely to all speed limits, even if most other motorists around us are not adhering to those limits (i.e., whizzing past us).

Altahabana

Jul 24, 2011, 5:21 AM

Post #11 of 16 (10083 views)

Shortcut

Re: [careyeroslib] Traveling to Guanajuato

The speed bumps for vehicles leaving the inspection area on the US side of Bridge 2 are quite formidable. The last two before entering the street leading to IH 35 are relatively new, different heights and only a foot apart. I have no idea what they are designed to do.

whynotwrite

Jul 24, 2011, 6:13 AM

Post #12 of 16 (10066 views)

Shortcut

Interesting that not one newspaper or mainstream media source in Mexico is ever found mentioning this event. The blogs, one of which show cartoon pictures of men with machine guns, seem to be the source of this story.
3 or 4 bus loads of people hijacked and not ONE story by a Mexico media source! Or covered by anything in the US media EXCEPT Monitor (who just got chumped). Once again Altahabana has proven the lack of investigation and the promotion of propaganda.

Altahabana

Jul 24, 2011, 3:35 PM

Post #13 of 16 (9996 views)

Shortcut

Re: [whynotwrite] Traveling to Guanajuato

I posted the link around the time the incident was reported so I'm not sure what (or how) I was supposed to investigate. If it didn't happen great. Martial law must be working in central Tamaulipas, because the army and marines are the only stabilizing force.

I will continue to comment when I think I have something to add to a topic. I know you don't like what I post, but besides denial what special insight do you have about what is happening in Tamaulipas, Nuevo Leon and Coahuila? If you really feel comfortable telling people that in central "Tamaulipas NO PASA NADA" and there are no security issues for
travelers lay it out. I can cite dozens of examples to show that's BS .

You need to meet or at least observe a Zeta or CDG sicario who's on the
the clock.

(This post was edited by Altahabana on Jul 24, 2011, 3:42 PM)

rvcycleguy

Jul 26, 2011, 11:45 AM

Post #14 of 16 (9931 views)

Shortcut

My wife and traveled by private vehicle to and from Guanajuato last December. We live in Houston and traveled through Eagle Pass/Piedras Negras. Take 57 all the way to San Luis Potosi through Monclova, partial area of Saltillo, Matahuela and SL. There is a new road (37) San Felipe De Reyes to 77. Comes out near the GM plant between GTO and Leon. Beautiful mountain area. On the way back we drove 45 to 54 back to Salitillo, then back to Ealge Pass. very safe for us.

markherron@me.com

Jul 26, 2011, 10:53 PM

Post #15 of 16 (9879 views)

Shortcut

Re: [careyeroslib] Traveling to Guanajuato

Did you break the trip up in two nights? and what would you suggest?...I am traveling with a family of four from Sayulita to either the NL crossing or Piedras Negras crossing. thx!

careyeroslib

Jul 28, 2011, 7:31 AM

Post #16 of 16 (9805 views)

Shortcut

Re: [markherron@me.com] Traveling to Guanajuato

I'm travelling at the moment myself, so I apologize if this is a bit short. You didn't say when you plan to travel.

So much depends on variables such as 1) your final destination (advice for a trip where the final destination is the northern US or Canada, might be different than for a shorter trip, eg., to Texas or bordering states such as Arkansas). 2) how many hours per day you are interested in travelling. You mention you are a family of 4, but didn't the ages. (I'm sure young children would want a much shorter travel day than teenagers, for example).

We usually spend one night on the road leaving from the Puerto Vallarta area, but, if we get a late start or want to break up the journey, then two days. We have found it is between 15.5 and 18 hours from the Puerto Vallarta to the Texas area borders.

I'd be happy to share our travel logs, so to speak, but I don't want to take away from the original poster's inquiries about driving to Guanajuato. Feel free to ask more questions on the other thread about driving to Puerto Vallarta or send me a private message. All the best.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4