Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

chinagringo

Jul 19, 2011, 5:40 PM

Post #1 of 8 (2952 views)

Shortcut

Interesting Trade Shows

Can't Post | Private Reply
For those of you living in or near Guadalajara or just visiting, there are two interesting Trade Shows coming up in August:

1) En Art in Tlaquepaque:

http://www.enart.com.mx/
This is a show for artisans from all over Mexico and while it is theoretically a show for the trade, it is easy to get in. You can pre-register for the show and just give them a story about thinking of getting into the export business. The dates are August 16-20. The event is fairly low key and an opportunity to view items you might not normally see. The quality tends to be quite good and the artisans could use the support.

2) Mexico International Furniture Market at Expo Guadalajara

http://www.bvents.com/...arket-summer-edition

Billed as the largest Furniture Show in Mexico and Latin America. The dates are August 17-20. We have never attended this show but have attended others at Expo Guadalajara and they seem to be quite loose with getting credentials to attend.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

esperanza

Jul 19, 2011, 8:14 PM

Post #2 of 8 (2934 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Interesting Trade Shows

I have a huge problem with your suggestion for getting into Enart: just "give them a story about thinking of getting into the export business". This is a trade show and your suggestion seems to me to be truly unethical.

Usually the public is allowed in on the last day, when some of the artisans sell the sample goods that they have brought along as display.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

chinagringo

Jul 19, 2011, 8:44 PM

Post #3 of 8 (2928 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Interesting Trade Shows

What a surprise that you would have an ethical problem. The fact of the matter is that the last EnArt experienced a drop in attendance of approximately 40%. These businesses are truly hurting and it would be their decision as to whether they care to admit and sell to individuals. To my way of thinking, the more exposure the better. In case you haven't stayed current on the trends in both Tlaquepaque and Tonala, both towns are experiencing a net loss of both businesses and artisans. This isn't good for the economies in either location or for that matter much of Mexico. Sure we do have an import company but we have provided numerous referrals to various suppliers to members of this forum and others for which we receive zero financial benefit. It is all about doing all we can to try and help out various businesses when they are hurting!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

esperanza

Jul 19, 2011, 10:12 PM

Post #4 of 8 (2921 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Interesting Trade Shows

Why would you be surprised that I would have a problem with an unethical suggestion? That sounds like a pretty serious slur about me, Neil.

What surprised me is that you, who are a businessman, would suggest that others who are not in business operate in a truly unethical manner to get into a trade show. Frankly, it would make me wonder about the business ethics in general of anyone who would suggest that someone pretend to be something other than what he/she is.

I have been to the Enart show many times--always with a press pass, not by falsifying credentials as a member of the trade.

I do indeed know that artisans and vendors in Tlaquepaque, Tonalá, the states of Michoacán and Oaxaca--where I very recently spent several days at a meeting and visiting Mexican friends who depend on tourism for their daily bread--and indeed all over Mexico where communities of people depend on artesanía for their livelihood are suffering in these difficult economic times.

I also know that retail sales at Enart are discouraged during the run of the show, except in some booths. The merchandise that the artisans and other vendors take to Enart is sample only, from which orders are placed for future delivery. The person who gets in to the show by pretending to be a trade buyer will be sorely disappointed at not being able to buy and carry away the sample pieces.

I really don't understand the point you were trying to make in discussing your 'zero financial benefit'.

privado

Jul 21, 2011, 11:57 AM

Post #5 of 8 (2856 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Interesting Trade Shows

In Reply To
I have a huge problem with your suggestion for getting into Enart: just "give them a story about thinking of getting into the export business". This is a trade show and your suggestion seems to me to be truly unethical.

Usually the public is allowed in on the last day, when some of the artisans sell the sample goods that they have brought along as display.

Couldn't agree more-
Having been in the Importing business as well and an Exhibitor in High Point NC Las Vegas ,New York. Atlanta etc- Security for the Trade Show exhibitor is extrordanarily tight- Why- because they are selling their products to retail vendors, and trade professionals- letting every Tom, Dick and Harry into such an event is harmful to the customers who are buying at wholesale prices for resale in a commercial business.

I was appalled when I first staring going to Enart & Expo years before I moved to Mexico- that folks from Lakeside were walking into Expo Furniture and Enart without proper credentials and using phony excuses to gain access- That hurts the Retail Trade here in Mexico- How do you balance that when you put Retail Stores out of business to sell to an itererant customer 1 piece of ceramics--artisans may be hurting but they do have other ways to sell their products from their workshops and local craft faires as well- the retail vendor does not.

Having personally designed pieces that have been ripped off and copied by "artists" here is Mexico and sold to Tom Dick and Harry is a real slap in the face, when infact they were meant to be exclusives available only through commerical vendors.

esperanza

Jul 21, 2011, 12:56 PM

Post #6 of 8 (2834 views)

Shortcut

Re: [privado] Interesting Trade Shows

Thank you for your words of support and understanding. I frequently feel like the voice crying in the wilderness.

Vichil

Jul 21, 2011, 1:06 PM

Post #7 of 8 (2833 views)

Shortcut

I have gone to the Enart shows for the last 10 years, pay the fee to enter and never had any problem going in. No one has ever asked me for credentials.

I went once to the Expo Mueble and was helping an interior designer so I entered with her. They seem to want the business cards or credential of people wanting in but I cannot say if it is this was all the time as I have only gone there once.

chinagringo

Jul 21, 2011, 1:16 PM

Post #8 of 8 (2827 views)

Shortcut

I just went and reviewed my original post and I am guilty of maybe implying that one could purchase products there. If I had stopped and thought, I would have put in a disclaimer that one shouldn't expect that they would sell to anyone.

I too have been to EnArt as a buyer but have seen plenty of people walking around with "Guest" badges. The same would be true for numerous (well over 50) trade shows that I have attended both as a buyer or an exhibitor in North America and Europe.

Stupid me, I thought these two shows might me an opportunity for people to see a variety of products that they might not see otherwise!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4