Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

stevebrtx

Jul 19, 2011, 1:28 PM

Post #1 of 11 (2383 views)

Shortcut

Foreign plated cars

Can't Post | Private Reply
I see an article in the last Reporter that the Commander says they're planning a "crackdown" on foreign plated cars and to be sure to have proper documentation. Ok, that's fine, but the one thing that caught my eye was the "original import documentation" and of course sticker. I carry a copy, I was always told NOT to carry the original and I've been stopped and checked and the copy always worked, so maybe this was just a misundertanding in the article, or not?
http://www.chapalaweather.net

bournemouth

Jul 19, 2011, 2:22 PM

Post #2 of 11 (2351 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Foreign plated cars

I noted that line too and decided that the new Chief of Transito means it - but we'll find out in due course.

johanson

Jul 19, 2011, 2:32 PM

Post #3 of 11 (2347 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Foreign plated cars

I could be very wrong here, but I thought I had seen numerous posts in the past on this and other forums that only the feds could check your importation papers, etc? Am I wrong?

chinagringo

Jul 19, 2011, 3:30 PM

Post #4 of 11 (2332 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Foreign plated cars

Pete:

I know that I have read and heard that before too. However, there were numerous reports out of the Morelia area of roadblocks/checkpoints where they were demanding all documents. It was also reported that the police were hassling people about expired Vehicle Import Permits even when the owners had valid visas. Might be a good time to make sure to have Article 106 (??? I think) in Spanish to show.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

bournemouth

Jul 19, 2011, 3:33 PM

Post #5 of 11 (2328 views)

Shortcut

Pete - did you read the article in the Guad. Reporter? The new Transito head was quite clear about a number of things and I think we'd better tippy toe around for the near future. I don't have an on line subscription, or I'd post a link here. The article starts on the front page on line.

jrpierce

Jul 19, 2011, 5:48 PM

Post #6 of 11 (2301 views)

Shortcut

I live in Morelia and as Chinagringo noted, there were checkpoints here that stopped most all foreign plated cars. The ones here were often manned by both Federal and State police. Many expats grew tired of being stopped repeatedly. Often the policia seemed not to know the law and threatened to impound vehicles where the vehicle import permit was expired even though the visa was not. On occasion, drivers felt this was on purpose in order to collect a mordida. Everyone advised being sure you have your papers in order, and to carry a Spanish and English copy of Articulo 106 in your glove department at all times. Information about that can be found here:
http://rollybrook.com/article_106.htm.

News reports suggest the program here in Morelia was effective, with a few hundred stolen cars rounded up, and a fair amount of contraband seized.

I was never caught up in this as my car has Mexican plates, however some of my friends were.

Jim

(This post was edited by jrpierce on Jul 19, 2011, 5:52 PM)

stevebrtx

Jul 20, 2011, 7:09 AM

Post #7 of 11 (2252 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jrpierce] Foreign plated cars

There's an old saying, "when I works, I works hard, when I sits, I sits loose and when I thinks - I usually falls asleep" - so, I've been thinking about this whole thing and when I tried to apply logic, sure enough I went to sleep.

From everything I can read and find including Rolly's site your sticker can't "expire" as long as your visa remains current. Now, there is some debate on the newly found requirement to report your status to Aduana 15 days after renewal or change of visa, but it's stated that if you don't report, the sticker remains "legal", but you only lose your deposit (and I don't have one).

I carry a copy of 106 and assume that's where it can come into play if someone doesn't know the law, or purposely doesn't want to know the law wink wink.

The reason I'm interested is that my visa is coming up for renewal next month and I'll be making a border run probably in Sept and as usual I can't turn in my sticker because I have a trailer on it so I'm trying to consider possibilities and navigate the mine field that continually changes.
http://www.chapalaweather.net

Don

Jul 20, 2011, 7:25 AM

Post #8 of 11 (2243 views)

Shortcut

Yesterday, I was stopped by the federal police on Lopez Mateos while going to Guadalajara. I was driving my vehicle with expired U.S. tabs. I showed the officer a copy of my importation papers, a copy of my current visa (FM-3) and my drivers' license. He thanked me and returned them to me. Then said have a good day.
Both Federal and State police were out in force yesterday stopping vehicles.

(This post was edited by Don on Jul 20, 2011, 7:27 AM)

jrpierce

Jul 20, 2011, 7:42 AM

Post #9 of 11 (2234 views)

Shortcut

Since I drive a Mexican plated vehicle, I'm unaware of the complications related to going in and out of Mexico with your car and/or trailer. However, a US friend here had a major hassle when he left the country with his US plated car pulling a trailer, and when he returned in the car without the trailer, they refused to let him reenter without the trailer--which he had to go back home to get. It was a real hassle for him, but it sounds as though you've dealt with this in the past and know the ropes. Suerte!

Jim

johanson

Jul 20, 2011, 9:22 AM

Post #10 of 11 (2216 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Foreign plated cars

Thanks "bournemouth", I finally found the article :) I don't know why I missed it. I guess it's time to update the papers I carry around in my car. You know, new copy of my new FM 3, new passport etc. Some of copied data must be more than 5 years old and outdated.

Pete

Reefhound

Jul 20, 2011, 10:02 AM

Post #11 of 11 (2201 views)

Shortcut

I know the foolishness of applying logic to bureaucracy, but wouldn't it be so simple for Aduana to print on the permit the expiration date followed by "or valid residence visa"? Something to that effect.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4