Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

sioux4noff

Jul 13, 2011, 8:41 AM

Post #1 of 5 (2344 views)

Shortcut

Inexpensive hotel needed

Can't Post | Private Reply
It's time for another short trip to Guadalajara. I'm looking for suggestions of an inexpensive hotel. We will be driving, so parking is an important consideration.
We'd prefer not to be in the Tonala / Tlaquepaque area as our friends live just north of the periferico, not too far from Federalismo.
Inexpensive to me is below 500 pesos per night.

mexliving

Jul 13, 2011, 3:34 PM

Post #2 of 5 (2303 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Inexpensive hotel needed

hotel las pergolas.... its in zapopan ... there is another small hotel before it... just as cheap and nice

sioux4noff

Jul 13, 2011, 5:51 PM

Post #3 of 5 (2284 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexliving] Inexpensive hotel needed

Thanks for the recommendation mexliving. Good location.
The rates are a bit higher than we would prefer, I got a quote of about 800 pesos/night on-line. We'll keep it in mind, though.

sioux4noff

Jul 14, 2011, 9:33 PM

Post #4 of 5 (2202 views)

Shortcut

We've decided on the Hotel Cervantes in the centro area. Came out to just under 500 pesos / night.
Now, we could use some restaurant recommendations in that area.
We've been recommended to try Fonda San Miguel, and the birria at 9 Esquinas.
From our last trip, we really liked Barrio de Quilmes across from the Gran Plaza mall.
This trip we are taking some friends with us who have never been to Guadalajara. We are suggesting they do the Tapatio Tour bus, visit the San Juan Dios market and they want to go to Tonala on market day.
Anything else you can think of to show first-timers?

esperanza

Jul 15, 2011, 5:37 AM

Post #5 of 5 (2183 views)

Shortcut

Some "don't miss" things to see and do (and eat):

1. Templo Expiatorio, at the corner of Enrique Díaz de León and Prisciliano Sánchez. If you only see one church in Guadalajara, make it this one. Don't miss the bronze doors, the mosaics on the facade (along with the apostle's clock), and the fascinating crypts behind and below the altar. See one of its many Google listings for more information.
  2. If you go to the Templo Expiatorio on a Sunday early in the evening, stay to watch the couples dancing romantic danzón in the plaza just outside the church. And while you're at Templo Expiatorio, stop in at the right-there-on-the-corner branch of Croissants Alfredo for a freshly baked, addictive croissant stuffed (really--STUFFED) with delicious chocolate.
  3. Directly across Calle Madero from the Templo Expiatorio is the Rectoría and art museum that belongs to the University of Guadalajara. Inside the museum is the round auditorium called the Paraninfo. José Clemente Orozco painted the murals on the walls and inside the dome of the auditorium. If you don't have time to see his "Man in Flames" murals and dome at the Hospicio Cabañas, this is a wonderful alternative.
  4. The Tapatío Tour bus, which you mentioned, is a great idea for seeing a lot of the city in a good overview.
  5. Where NOT to go for a meal: Santo Coyote. The place is incredible to see, but the food is dreadful. If you or your friends have heard of it, go for drinks so you can see the place--it's gorgeous--and then go elsewhere for dinner.
  6. For great meals, here's a copy-and-paste of some Guadalajara recommendations I recently sent a friend:
  7. For high-end carnivores, take them to Cocina 88, at Av. Vallarta #1342 http://www.cocina88.com/. You will need reservations. $$$$

8. Another incredible option for Argentine beef is La Matera, at Av. México #2891 (esq. Nelson). http://lamatera.tripod.com/. Despite their tacky-looking website, the food is out of this world. You will also want reservations here. $$$$

9. If they would like a totally regional, very casual but world-famous option, take them to Karne Garibaldi—to the original one, at the corner of Calle Garibaldi and Calle José Clemente Orozco in Col. Santa Teresita. http://www.karnegaribaldi.com.mx/. This place is one of my favorites in the city. There’s only one menu option, carne en su jugo with or without picante, served small, medium, large, or OMG I can’t eat all that!. They’ll bring your plate of food and you add a big squeeze of limón, as much chopped onion and cilantro as you want, sea salt to taste, and spoonfuls of the house-made and addictive table salsa. The rest of the food will be on the table almost before your rear end hits the chair: they hold the Guinness Book of World Records record for fastest service in the world. Their refried beans are the no-holds-barred best I have ever eaten. The caramelized onions are incredible. If you have room for dessert, try the pastel mil hojas or the flan. This might be better as an early-ish lunch, with one of the other places as an evening cena. $$

10. They would like Restaurante El Sacromonte, at Pedro Moreno #1398, between Emerson and Colonias not far from the Centro Histórico. http://www.sacromonte.com.mx/ It’s old-time Mexican food, updated a bit and served in a beautiful old Guadalajara setting. I love this place. $$$

11. If they are wine drinkers, tell them that the Mexican wineries Casa Madero or Santo Tomás are equally reliable and wonderful. For Chilean wine, Cono Sur Reserva Merlot (be sure it's the reserva, not the standard Cono Sur).

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4