Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico

marcella

Nov 5, 2002, 11:34 PM

Post #1 of 10 (7828 views)

Shortcut

ferries departing from Louisianna???

Can't Post |
I know there is a ferry from florida to cancun, but is there one from LA or and other US location?

Thanks,

Marcella

Jim in Cancun / Moderator

Nov 6, 2002, 4:31 AM

Post #2 of 10 (7769 views)

Shortcut

Not that I have heard of but...

Can't Post | Private Reply
...I have heard of cruise ships that are now leaving from both New Orleans and Galveston and heading to the CAribbean to cruise. I am sure they donīt want to spread the market too thin. They tried this before and it only lasted for a few months until it went belly up and left people stranded on both sides of the border. Letīs hope it works this time. The problem is that they only run it part of the year and donīt give it time to catch on and work.

sparks

Nov 6, 2002, 8:14 AM

Post #3 of 10 (7757 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jim in Cancun] Not that I have heard of but...

Can't Post |
Then if that's LA on the west coast .. cruise ships are probably the only option. Don't think they have any Auto Ferries or one way options.

marcella

Nov 6, 2002, 6:58 PM

Post #4 of 10 (7730 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Not that I have heard of but...

Can't Post |
Thanks for all the replies guys:)

I was talking about Louisianna, not Los Angeles( i should have just typed it out instread of being lazy:)

What are the names of those ferries/cruisships from Galveston and Louisianna if you don't mind my asking?

I live in Arkansas and was planning on selling my car before the move and taking a Greyhound to Tampa and then the ferry to cancun, but I'd rather depart from Louisianna if possible.....

xoxo

Jim in Cancun / Moderator

Nov 7, 2002, 12:39 AM

Post #5 of 10 (7729 views)

Shortcut

Port of New Orleans Info (And Galveston)

Can't Post | Private Reply
Here is a link http://www.cruises-from-galveston-texas-new-orleans-louisiana.com/portofneworleans.htm

You can also check with any local area travel agencies for information Iīm sure.

Good luck.

Khaki

Nov 11, 2002, 10:00 AM

Post #6 of 10 (7681 views)

Shortcut

Re: [marcella] ferries departing from Louisianna???

Can't Post |
Marcella - I live in Louisiana... and - as of now - there is no ferry from here to Yucatan... but don't think this little French Creole Grandmother isn't going to be working on it... even if I have to talk some cruise line into letting those of us who live in Yucatan "hitch rides" back and forth to New Orleans. I'll figure SOMEthing out... I even tried to get a friend with a "big boat" to start giving "rides" to Yucatan... LOL

Jack Swift

Nov 11, 2002, 1:33 PM

Post #7 of 10 (7673 views)

Shortcut

Re: [marcella] ferries departing from Louisianna???

Can't Post |
around the corner from you is Bienville, MS -

if you want - you can ship your car in a 20' container to progreso for about $550 via Linea Peninsular - Last I heard they throw people found camping in containers overboard, though

http://www.lineaships.com/

Khaki

Nov 12, 2002, 6:56 AM

Post #8 of 10 (7649 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jack Swift] ferries departing from Louisianna???

Can't Post |
THANKS for the container shipping link... am driving to Progreso on Jan. 2 - with 3 dogs and 2 cats - but will need a way to get my household goods down too. Was considering giving all to kids and just buying all new - but - if a 20 ft. container is THAT inexpensive - I'd be silly not to go ahead and take my own "stuff"... I could do the whole thing for less than the price of replacing one room... Thanks again.

Khaki

Nov 12, 2002, 8:40 AM

Post #9 of 10 (7644 views)

Shortcut

Linea Peninsular

Can't Post |
I just talked to Linea Peninsular. They only have 40 foot containers and charge $600 to take a car. If somebody was going to drive all the way down here, it would be much cheaper to drive on to Tampa and go with your car on the ferry. Economy passage for one person, with a car, is only $300 plus whatever you eat and plus car insurance. If you ship your car, that's $600 plus a plane ticket (ouch) and you still have to eat and buy car insurance.

The cheapest way to get a car down there is still to drive - and friends say it's a nice drive after you get past Tampico.

Linea Peninsular's 40 ft. containers are $1,650 USD - if you don't use all of it, they only charge you for the part you use - so I am seriously considering shipping my household goods with them... if they will let me bring my things to New Orleans and load down there. They want to pick my things up here for an extra $300... nea nea Fireball... I can get everything I own to New Orleans for less than $300. Will let you know how "negotiations" turn out.

Jack Swift

Nov 12, 2002, 11:54 AM

Post #10 of 10 (7641 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Khaki] Linea Peninsular

Can't Post |
whoops - spoke to them in progreso more than a year ago, when I felt too lazy to drive back.

There are some grain ships leaving monthly for Progreso from New Orleans. A lot of ships are VERY negotiable as I found out the hard way.

BTW - believe it or not - there is a railroad connection from N.O. all the way to Merida - you might want to look into that.

or you could buy a cheapo trailer, stuff it and use it as a guest room in Progreso

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4