Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Mexico City & Surroundings

tashby

Jul 11, 2011, 2:46 PM

Post #1 of 13 (9477 views)

Shortcut

Dolores Olmedo Museum (via public transport)

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am under the impression that I can get to the Dolores Olmedo Museum by taking the MetroBus to its southern extreme, and then transfering to the Tren Ligero to take it on to Xochimilco. In looking at the two system maps, it's not really made clear that this is possible, but I still think it is. (Call me stubborn?)

It appears that the Tren Ligero starts at "Tasquena". The stop for the Museum is almost certainly "La Noria" on the Tren Ligero, since it's shown on the Museum's map.

Short question: How/where do I transfer from MetroBus south, to Tren Ligero? Or do I need to take the actual "Metro" to access the Tren Ligero?

Long version: In looking at the MetroBus map/system, there is no stop indicated called "Tasquena" (but I could SWEAR I've seen that written in the front window of some of the Busses heading south while standing on the platform. Do I just take MetroBus to its furthest southern station, "El Caminero", and walk to the most northerly station of Tren Ligero, in other words, "Tasquena".

And if so, is it obvious and easy to get from one to the other? Thanks!

Metrobus:
http://www.metrobus.df.gob.mx/mapa.html

Tren Ligero:
http://www.ste.df.gob.mx/...cios/trenligero.html

Dolores Olmedo Museum:
http://www.museodoloresolmedo.org.mx/museo.html

tashby

Jul 11, 2011, 4:38 PM

Post #2 of 13 (9458 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Dolores Olmedo Museum (via public transport)

Never mind. I think I may be trying to integrate some transportation options that aren't quite integrated yet, as far as I can discern using only the internet.

It's pretty clear that the Metro itself links to the Tasquena station, and that would be an easy way to transfer to Tren Ligero.

My guess is that's the easiest way, then jump out at La Noria and grab a taxi.

(My irresistable temptation with the MetroBus is because I'm half a block from the north/south Red Line.)

Cheers!

La Isla

Jul 11, 2011, 4:42 PM

Post #3 of 13 (9457 views)

Shortcut

When I've visited the Dolores Olmedo Museum, I've taken the Metro to Taxqueña, which is the southern terminus of Line 2, the purple line. When you get off the subway, the entrance to the Tren Ligero is just a few steps away. You buy your ticket there and wait for the next train. And, yes, get off at La Noria. A five-minute walk will get you to the entrance to the museum, a wonderful place to while away a few hours!

Maesonna

Jul 11, 2011, 6:31 PM

Post #4 of 13 (9447 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Dolores Olmedo Museum (via public transport)

When you get off the Metro at Tasqueña, don’t go out the Metro turnstiles, just go to the turnstiles without passing through them and then turn around to face in the direction your train was coming from. At this point you should see straight ahead of you the doorway leading outside to the Tren Ligero platform (sign over the doorway). Once you go through that doorway, to get your tickets (they’re different from the Metro tickets), go down the few stairs towards your left. **

[*Update: It's different now; see my Oct. 11 post below.]

As La Isla said, get off at La Noria. It’s not far to the museum, but a bit complicated to explain. I suggest a look at Google Maps before you go. Basically, you’ll stay on the same side of the train tracks once you get off the train, cross over to the sidewalk on that same side, and start going to your right along the sidewalk. Almost immediately, you reach a corner, and turn left. Walk one block, and you'll see the museum entrance straight in front of you, across the street. Be careful crossing that street, because cars that cross your path are coming from several directions.

If you can get more directly to Tasqueña by bus, you can do that, too. Then you would find your way to the platform where people are exiting the Metro train as it arrives, and follow the above directions (no Metro ticket needed, just your Tren Ligero ticket once you get to the platform as described).

Or if any of your local buses take you to anywhere on Tlalpan Avenue, you could get off there and board a southbound #26 pesero marked Xochimilco. Between Tasqueña and Estadio Azteca, it runs alongside the Tren Ligero, and you could get off at any Tren Ligero station and get on the tren.

(This post was edited by Maesonna on Nov 12, 2011, 9:07 AM)

esperanza

Jul 11, 2011, 6:35 PM

Post #5 of 13 (9442 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] Dolores Olmedo Museum (via public transport)

Maesonna, you are a gem. What great directions, and with a kindly word of caution included. I know all of us new defeños are grateful. I know for sure that I am.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

tashby

Jul 11, 2011, 10:02 PM

Post #6 of 13 (9425 views)

Shortcut

Outstanding, and thank you both La Isla and Maesonna! I event went back to a link you (Maesonna) provided in my "month in Mexico City" thread, and tried to overlay the MetroBus, Metro, Tren Ligero, RTP.....maps and then my head exploded. My computer almost did, too.

Keep it simple.

Thanks for the spectacular directions! And yes...

Be careful crossing that street, because cars that cross your path are coming from several directions.

...I've been using a WHOLE lot of over-the-shoulder viewing while crossing complicated interections these past couple of weeks. Thanks again!

Flora Loveday

Jul 12, 2011, 8:37 AM

Post #7 of 13 (9401 views)

Shortcut

If this helps anyone here at all, one of the best investments I made after living here (and being all confused for a while) was buying a map for $100 pesos from a vendor at the Zocalo... it is a wall map (yes, the city is really THAT big, jaja). I drive, take taxis and do the metro so it is great for any purpose.

It has ALL the Metro Systems integrated on it, and a guide of the systems on the back of the map too.

You can see (almost) every street in DF. It has a yellow cover with the Angel of Independence on it.

Also, in most newspapers, there is a small cut-out map of the metro system available from time-to-time, very handy to fit in your wallet.

Another great guide or map I found useful (that is also easy to carry) is available at any tourist stand, in English. A RED map of the major tourist areas of the city (NOT the one of just the center). Fits nicely in my purse too.

Maesonna

Jul 12, 2011, 10:05 AM

Post #8 of 13 (9391 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Flora Loveday] Dolores Olmedo Museum (via public transport)

Great suggestions for maps. I didn't know about several of those. Here are my map suggestions:

I rely on my Guia Roji (available at any Sanborns). Yes it's heavy, but it can't be beat. If I'm going into unknown territory, I take it along in a small knapsack.

If I have a single destination, and I basically know the route (and alternate routes in case of unexpected detours), all I need is a map of the target. I use Google Maps and do a screen capture of the area where the target is located. Often it's convenient to do a close-up of the immediate area and a larger-scale map of the general area, and print out both together on the same page.

esperanza

Jul 12, 2011, 11:09 AM

Post #9 of 13 (9385 views)

Shortcut

I do the same screen-shot thing and bring the printout along. I frequently do the Google home-to-where-I'm-going directions thing and print that screenshot. I like that Google maps has the option to do a transit overlay on the regular street map; that makes it very easy to see that we take, for example, Metro Chilpancingo to Chabacano and change to Line 2 (the blue line) to go to the Zócalo. We also have a GPS for the times when we take the car, although we don't do that very often. Not only that, Paulina (the computer voice on the GPS) gets totally confused sometimes and we end up half lost--like the time we drove to a concert in Tláhuac. You don't want to know where we were wandering around at 1:00AM.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Jul 12, 2011, 11:10 AM)

Gri-lango

Jul 12, 2011, 11:37 AM

Post #10 of 13 (9378 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Dolores Olmedo Museum (via public transport)

Guia Roji has been the standard for decades, good but rather costly (IMO).

I agree with Esperanza, Google maps can be of huge help and is my preferred map service (free is always good). I use the street view option often, it can really help knowing what the place looks like before trying to find it.

DF is famous for hidden street signs and inconsistent numbering...most capitalinos use landmarks rather than street names (take a left at the 3rd Pemex, then a right after the second tope).

My GPS works better than I expected although I sometimes question the route choices it makes. I have used it walking as well, felt weird but it worked.

La Isla

Jul 12, 2011, 1:53 PM

Post #11 of 13 (9359 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gri-lango] Dolores Olmedo Museum (via public transport)

When I am headed for a part of the city I'm not familiar with, I find my destination in an old Guía Roji that a friend gave me and carefully tear out the page I need and it take with me. The entire Guía is much too bulky and heavy for me to shlep around with me on my trips around the city!

Maesonna

Jul 14, 2011, 6:00 AM

Post #12 of 13 (9321 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gri-lango] Dolores Olmedo Museum (via public transport)

In the past I've bought a Guía Roji once every ten years; amortized that way, the cost is not so bad. Nowadays it's not so necessary as it used to be—there was no Google Maps when I bought my last copy.

Maesonna

Oct 11, 2011, 1:03 PM

Post #13 of 13 (9054 views)

Shortcut

In case anyone is referring to this thread from the past to find out how to board the Tren Ligero at Tasqueña from the metro, note that there is currently construction at the Tasqueña station of the Tren Ligero. The way to board the train has been slightly rerouted, and is in flux. The only advice I can give is to look for temporary “Tren Ligero” signs inside the Tasqueña metro station. It's not hard, there are plenty of signs.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4