Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish

sioux4noff

Jul 11, 2011, 8:43 AM

Post #1 of 6 (5122 views)

Shortcut

Jarcieria

Can't Post | Private Reply
In this weeks's ad for the Mega grocery store, they are having a sale on things rom the department "Jarcieria". The picture next to that shows mops, brooms and other household cleaning tools.
I couldn't find the word jacieria in my dictionary or on-line. Does anyone know what it actually means?

norteño

Jul 11, 2011, 11:14 AM

Post #2 of 6 (5101 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Jarcieria

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarcier%C3%ADa

I had never heard of it, either, but all it took was to Google the term (remember it has an accent).

Jarciería is the term referring to all merchandise commonly known as household cleaning tools.

(This post was edited by norteño on Jul 11, 2011, 11:16 AM)

happynz

Jul 11, 2011, 11:14 AM

Post #3 of 6 (5101 views)

Shortcut

Jarciería is a shop that sells things that are made of vegetable fibre. Más o menos...

Así pues...aquí estamos...

esperanza

Jul 11, 2011, 11:42 AM

Post #4 of 6 (5095 views)

Shortcut

What a funny coincidence! I just saw that same word last week, for the very first time--on an aisle sign at Superama. Jarciería!

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

sioux4noff

Jul 11, 2011, 12:22 PM

Post #5 of 6 (5088 views)

Shortcut

Re: [norteño] Jarcieria

I use Google frequently, but this time it didn't even occur to me. Thanks to y'all for the help!

La Isla

Jul 11, 2011, 1:32 PM

Post #6 of 6 (5077 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Jarcieria

I heard this word for the first time a couple of weeks ago from a student who was giving me a private tour of a now-ended exhibit at the Museo de Arte Popular which brought to life the oficios de la calle as they existed in Mexico City ca. 1960. He used jarciería to describe a little shop selling brooms and brushes and other cleaning utensils.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4