Pita

Jul 17, 2011, 8:52 AM

Post #26 of 42 (2476 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johninajijic] new road above Ajijic east

| Private Reply

In Reply To
I

vetteforron - Looks like your post proves chinagringo wrong. Once the mess in the States is over (I think 3 - 4 years) and homes start selling there, baby boomers will be coming here by the thousands and prices will skyrocket again.

Dream on, John. Real estate will not recover in the US for closer to ten years, and the over-inflated prices of 2005-6 will never return. As for those flocks of baby boomers you're expecting, if there is any kind of healthcare reform in the US that gets early retirees decent coverage, far fewer will leave the country.

You're not gonna sell your house for a big profit anytime soon, John. But you've still got the glorious weather and a decent steak at Tango and Bruno's.

cookj5

Jul 17, 2011, 6:20 PM

Post #27 of 42 (2441 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
I'm sure anyone could buy one, but it is doubtful that anyone from NOB would because of the size, style and density of the development.

vetteforron - Looks like your post proves chinagringo wrong. Once the mess in the States is over (I think 3 - 4 years) and homes start selling there, baby boomers will be coming here by the thousands and prices will skyrocket again.

John, I think you are "whistling past the graveyard". I believe your 3-4 years is overly optimistic for one. For another, millions of people have lost their homes, or their homes are "underwater" (Deutchbank says 48% of all US homes will be worth less than their mortgage by the end of 2011). Many of those same people and millions more have also lost their jobs and seen the value of their 401Ks or other retirement funds plummet.

The retirees who come here for the foreseeable future are much more likely to be people with few resources doing it because they are looking for a cheaper place to live and/or are fleeing the medical industry vampires.

A much more likely scenario will be a flood of renters which will cause a rise in rental prices. I just don't think that tidal wave of boomers with bags full of money is anything other than a tsunami mirage.

What happened in Lake Chapala and other expat destinations in Mexico in the early to mid-2000s was a fluke brought about by the gross inflation of housing prices in the US (and to a lesser extent in Canada) which gave people the feeling that they could use their NOB homes as a piggy bank to buy their dream home in Mexico. When the housing bubble popped, poof! went that dream.

If you are waiting for those days, or anything remotely like them, to come back, you'd better pack a lunch. It'll be a long wait.

RickS

Jul 17, 2011, 6:50 PM

Post #28 of 42 (2431 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Pita] new road above Ajijic east

| Private Reply
"....if there is any kind of healthcare reform in the US that gets early retirees decent coverage, far fewer will leave the country."

And waiting for that to happen in the next 10 years will be less likely to happen than the housing sector 'correcting itself' IMHO.

Pita

Jul 17, 2011, 10:29 PM

Post #29 of 42 (2410 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] new road above Ajijic east

| Private Reply

In Reply To
"....if there is any kind of healthcare reform in the US that gets early retirees decent coverage, far fewer will leave the country."

And waiting for that to happen in the next 10 years will be less likely to happen than the housing sector 'correcting itself' IMHO.

I totally agree. This only validates my original opinion that if John (or anyone else) believes that the real estate prices in lakeside are going to "skyrocket" in 3-4 years, they are WAY out of touch.

stevebrtx

Jul 18, 2011, 6:31 AM

Post #30 of 42 (2381 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Pita] new road above Ajijic east

| Private Reply
Houses are already overpriced. When you look at what's in a typical MXN house, how it's built, what the workers are paid etc. they're way out of sight now. Small lots, no insulation, no HVAC, no exhaust fans in bath's, minimal wiring, minimal plumbing, minimal lighting, no garage, so no garage doors etc. I've built a couple of houses and I did a significant upgrade on my TX house before selling it and I can tell you I'd never buy a house on the N shore.

The latest prediction NOB is for houses to go down another 20% and that will clamp a lot of people in place and as noted, many coming here will be with minimal resources, so imagining a housing boom is a pipe dream.
http://www.chapalaweather.net

don pedro

Jul 19, 2011, 5:49 AM

Post #31 of 42 (2306 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] new road above Ajijic east

| Private Reply
gee, what an idiot i am because i thought mexico was populated by mexicans who are the main buyers of homes here and i also mistakenly thought that the mexican economy ain't in the dumpers like the excited states. am i ever stupid-i should base everything that happens in mexico on a few thousand ferners and what happens in the excited states. i'm glad that the bright lights in this thread straightened me out-SNORK!
http://chapalamexicoinfo.createforumhosting.com
naivete is a chronIc disease and by its very nature;the afflicted never know they have it.-SNORK!

Pita

Jul 19, 2011, 11:37 AM

Post #32 of 42 (2269 views)

Shortcut

Re: [don pedro] new road above Ajijic east

| Private Reply

In Reply To
gee, what an idiot i am because i thought mexico was populated by mexicans who are the main buyers of homes here and i also mistakenly thought that the mexican economy ain't in the dumpers like the excited states. am i ever stupid-i should base everything that happens in mexico on a few thousand ferners and what happens in the excited states. i'm glad that the bright lights in this thread straightened me out-SNORK!

Actually, why don't ask John how many Mexicans own homes in his gated compound - the place that is set up and decorated especially for ex-pats so that they never realize they are in Mexico. I'm betting damn few. Hence, his need to pretend that there will be truckloads of Americans rushing to Mexico to buy his house.

(no, John, you are not alone in this fantasy.)

johninajijic

Jul 19, 2011, 5:13 PM

Post #33 of 42 (2224 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
stevebrtx quote - "Houses are already overpriced. When you look at what's in a typical MXN house, how it's built, what the workers are paid etc. they're way out of sight now. Small lots, no insulation, no HVAC, no exhaust fans in bath's, minimal wiring, minimal plumbing, minimal lighting, no garage, so no garage doors etc."

I don't know what kind of houses you've been in or seen building, but every house in my Community and many others I know don't all have small lots, have exhaust fans in bathrooms, normal plumbing with good fixtures, marble baths and wiring even to some codes in the US, plenty of lighting, ceiling fans, granite counters and stainless appliances, 2 car garages and automatic doors. So what the hell are you talking about, cheap homes built for Mexicans? Maybe you house doesn't have this stuff?

don pedro - gee, I thought you were smart, but you had me fooled. Isn't it foreigners who buy homes in Gated Communities and not Mexicans? It is in all the Gated Communities near me or that I know of.

Pita - There are two Mexican families living in Los Arroyos Sur, one is an Ajijic Opthamologist and the other is a Builder who builds most of the developments in this area, so two out of 19 homes..

(This post was edited by johninajijic on Jul 19, 2011, 5:20 PM)

chinagringo

Jul 19, 2011, 6:15 PM

Post #34 of 42 (2218 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
So please tell, John. Are the two Mexican families part of your so very exclusive dining group? This is the first news that I have seen of your ownership of: "my community". Jim Jones had a "my community" and we all know what happened back in the 70's in Jonestown, Guyana!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

stevebrtx

Jul 19, 2011, 6:50 PM

Post #35 of 42 (2207 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Yes yes John, we're all painfully aware of your superior gated, over priced community, in no way does it represent the houses generally being thrown up on the N shore and sold at premium prices to ignorant gringos with far more money than sense. I'm genuinely surprised that with your obvious knowledge of building high end homes and apparent insider knowledge of thousands of rich gringos who are lining up to buy here that you're not building houses.

johninajijic

Jul 19, 2011, 9:35 PM

Post #36 of 42 (2190 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
stevebrtx - I guess I'm ignorant of the areas you're talking about, so please inform me of the names of the developments of houses being thrown up and sold to gringos at premium prices. And also why do you think this Community is overpriced when you know nothing about it.

You can continue to insult our Community all day, but it's still one of the most if not the most desirable in Ajijic. Why do you think the largest builder of homes here in Ajijic chose this Community to build his parents home when he could have built on any mountainside piece of property? And cost is no object to them.

Stick to what you know best chapala weatherman because you haven't been here long enough to know construction.

don pedro

Jul 20, 2011, 4:19 AM

Post #37 of 42 (2179 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
from what the pair of you have posted over the years,it seems neither one of you knows much about construction as it relates to this area. the pricing thing is rather nebulous,but a lotta ferners do tend to overpay and then overask fer their properties.
http://chapalamexicoinfo.createforumhosting.com
naivete is a chronIc disease and by its very nature;the afflicted never know they have it.-SNORK!

stevebrtx

Jul 20, 2011, 6:57 AM

Post #38 of 42 (2159 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Gee John,
Your continuing prickliness and attempts to justify, or I might say over justify, your "community" might lead some to be suspicious. Usually when something is great, even good, people tend to know and as they say "if you have to explain a joke, it ain't all that funny".

Now, I'm not a big time builder like you, BTW, exactly how many houses have you designed and built? But, I've been around a few here and there and know which end of a nail to hammer. You don't have to be here 20 years to see and hear the problems people have and have had, so just a suggestion, and please don't go all prickly on me, but maybe you should stick to doing what you seem to think you do best - review restaurants, just a suggestion John, but maybe one you should seriously consider. Afterall how many "expert" hats can you wear, or for that matter do you need to wear?

Oh, an after thought, maybe you're going to start reviewing houses and developments and I let the cat out of the bag? Well, I'm sure we'll all be on the edge of our chairs for that one.

Zardoz

Jul 20, 2011, 7:30 AM

Post #39 of 42 (2150 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Come on folks if you don't like what John says ignore it. Just because he gets slightly snarky as is his nature you
don't have to jump through the hoops. It is not very constructive when you folks get poking each other and it
does no one good other than to feed ones ego. We are suppose to know better at our ages and this is beyond
a little bit of fun.

Z

stevebrtx

Jul 20, 2011, 7:42 AM

Post #40 of 42 (2142 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Zardoz] new road above Ajijic east

| Private Reply
But it's raining this morning and I can't go out and play and John is such an obvious pinata to poke at? Actually I was about to go out and fix - yes, the weatherman does "repair" some things on the estate but the powers that be took care of that plan.

You know I was thinking back after the 2nd cup of coffee kicked in and actually John has reviewed neighborhoods etc. a year or two ago and of course we, being the red headed step children, rated something like "my gracious sweety, no one with an ounce of class Ever goes Theeeere" - so it goes.

Zardoz

Jul 20, 2011, 8:07 AM

Post #41 of 42 (2131 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Yes God of Weather instrumentation I understand the attraction of poking the Pinata and admittedly I have poked a few but somehow poking John doesn't do much for anyone. Kinda like the kid who passes the junkyard dog each morning and throws
a rock eventually he gets bored and quits throwing the rock.

Z

stevebrtx

Jul 20, 2011, 8:18 AM

Post #42 of 42 (2124 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Zardoz] new road above Ajijic east

| Private Reply
No, I'm not an expert on much of anything (like some pretentious folks purport to be) I just stick my finger in the wind now and then and post it - and it continues to be soaking wet this morning.

Howsomeever, John continues to be a constant source of amusement, he's the (fill in the blank) that just keeps giving and giving, conversely defending him goes from "really?" to "booooring" in about 30 miliseconds.

Well, time to stick my finger out the window again.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4