Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico

acgphd

Jul 9, 2011, 11:52 AM

Post #1 of 9 (11477 views)

Shortcut

Moving to Cozumel

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am looking to retire to Cozumel in the next year and am getting conflicting info on renting, buying property, emigration/visa requirements and the cost of living. I love Cozumel and it's people, and it is my dream retirement destination.
If anyone can help me get started, I would be very appreciative
Anne

Rolly

Jul 9, 2011, 11:58 AM

Post #2 of 9 (11469 views)

Shortcut

Re: [acgphd] Moving to Cozumel

For information about visas and other useful moving information, read here.

Rolly Pirate

acgphd

Jul 9, 2011, 1:41 PM

Post #3 of 9 (11453 views)

Shortcut

Yhanls so much! Anne

Reefhound

Jul 10, 2011, 8:02 PM

Post #4 of 9 (11385 views)

Shortcut

The mechanics are probably similar to anywhere else in mexico and lots of info available on that. For specifics living there talk to the ex-pat community and there are some other forums more tuned for that region. There is a strong expat community there, some own businesses in the tourist industry and some are vacationers who decided to stay. It seems they are well received by the locals. I missed it by a day but the Coz government put together a big festival in the square for USA 4th of July complete with grilled burgers and dogs, and a fireworks show. Lots of locals turned out and they handed out awards to key expats who've had an impact on the island. I know a few dive shop owners and they were touched by it all.

joaquinx

Jul 11, 2011, 7:30 AM

Post #5 of 9 (11354 views)

Shortcut

This is a Playa site. They could offer you some info. http://www.playa.info/playa-del-carmen-forum/
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

acgphd

Jul 11, 2011, 8:08 AM

Post #6 of 9 (11347 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Reefhound] Moving to Cozumel

Thanks a bunch, your info is invaluable and I shall be investigating the expat angle.
Happy Summer,
Anne

Reefhound

Jul 11, 2011, 7:10 PM

Post #7 of 9 (11298 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Moving to Cozumel

That's one of them. Didn't want to link to other forums though. Others are YoListo and CozumelMyCozumel

playaboy

Jul 13, 2011, 10:03 AM

Post #8 of 9 (11225 views)

Shortcut

I live on the south of Playa del Carmen and look at at Cozumel every morning with my coffee. I suggest you go to the island and look at things first hand and talk to the people that live and work there. The internet is a great tool to prepare for a trip but you have to go. You plan on doing this in a year, right?

I looked at living on the island but found that prices were higher because everything is shipped in and you had to go to take the ferry to the mainland for most everything else. You might want to expand your dream and look at the Riviera Maya too.

acgphd

Jul 30, 2011, 9:52 AM

Post #9 of 9 (11010 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Moving to Cozumel

Thanks for the advice - and I think you are correct. We have decided to broarden our horizens and lessen our col.
Thanks again, A

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4