Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

sioux4noff

Jul 7, 2011, 9:39 PM

Post #1 of 9 (23541 views)

Shortcut

Vampiro de Res

Can't Post | Private Reply
A local grocery store had in their ad a cut of meat called Vampiro de Res. I triied Google and couldn't find any references to Vampiro de Res except in regard to a taco. Anyone have a clue what cut of meat this actually is?
Today while in the store, I asked the butcher who said it was "como pulpa de res".

esperanza

Jul 8, 2011, 6:53 AM

Post #2 of 9 (23516 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Vampiro de Res

Pulpa de res is cut from the animal's rear leg.

I think 'vampiro' is something your butcher shop made up. I can't find reference to it in any of the multitude of Mexican cookbooks on my shelves. It's not even included in the all-inclusive Diccionario Enciclopédico de Gastronomía Mexicana, Ricardo Muñoz Zurita's tome about all culinary things from Mexico.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

sioux4noff

Jul 8, 2011, 7:49 AM

Post #3 of 9 (23507 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Vampiro de Res

Thanks for looking that up Esperanza. It was in the advertisement of the grocery store Merkabastos. I wonder if they sold much.

Bennie García

Jul 8, 2011, 11:55 AM

Post #4 of 9 (23486 views)

Shortcut

I'm thinking it may be the way the butcher sliced the meat in a butterfly manner that might look something like the silhouette of a bat. An animal many times referred to here as a vamipro regardless of what species of bat it actually is.

esperanza

Jul 8, 2011, 12:45 PM

Post #5 of 9 (23475 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] Vampiro de Res

Or it might have had something to do with what the butcher was drinking while he was slicing...LOL...I once drank two vampiros and almost slid under the table.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

mazbook1

Jul 8, 2011, 1:52 PM

Post #6 of 9 (23468 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] Vampiro de Res

You're probably right, Bennie. If the butcher is cutting thin slices of top-round steak (pulpa = round steak, but rarely, if ever, cut the same as U.S. round steak) by butterflying them, it does look like a bat. I just saw my butcher doing exactly that a few days ago while I was waiting for him to cut my order.

(This post was edited by mazbook1 on Jul 8, 2011, 3:27 PM)

sioux4noff

Jul 8, 2011, 4:47 PM

Post #7 of 9 (23452 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Vampiro de Res

The meat in the packages looked like the thickness of milanesa, so the shape of the bat explanation would be a good one.

mazbook1

Jul 8, 2011, 4:59 PM

Post #8 of 9 (23450 views)

Shortcut

Yep, that's the cut I saw my butcher cutting, but it was for cheap carne asada. Probably would be better tenderized first, though, IMHO, unless it's meant to be finely chopped up for tacos vampiros after grilling.

sioux4noff

Jul 8, 2011, 7:26 PM

Post #9 of 9 (23436 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Vampiro de Res

They had sirloin for the same price, and we just finished eating brochetes de res made with it. Yum!!!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4