Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

nina78

Jul 7, 2011, 4:06 PM

Post #1 of 13 (4741 views)

Shortcut

Question about Bare Necessity Kitchen

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'm researching for a story I'm writing, and maybe someone can help. In the story a man works as the general manager for a hotel and lives in a room behind the main office. The hotel is modest by U.S. standards (like a Motel 6); in the room, what would his "kitchen" look like? I was thinking a two burner gas oven and a sink? It's located just outside a port town in Sonora.

arbon

Jul 7, 2011, 4:30 PM

Post #2 of 13 (4735 views)

Shortcut

Re: [nina78] Question about Bare Necessity Kitchen

Can't Post |
This question has a great deal of potential, after knowing more details of the man in focus.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

chicois8

Jul 7, 2011, 4:38 PM

Post #3 of 13 (4728 views)

Shortcut

Along the Pacific coast are many motel/hotels that are called bungallows, they usually have a 4 burner stove without oven, a 5 to 10 cubic foot fridge and a sink...basic cooking utensils, pots, pans, dishes, glasses, coffee cups, knifes ,forks and spoons for a family of 4......
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

nina78

Jul 7, 2011, 4:43 PM

Post #4 of 13 (4726 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Question about Bare Necessity Kitchen

But does would a Mexican employee who ran and lived on the premises have the same?

whynotwrite

Jul 7, 2011, 5:02 PM

Post #5 of 13 (4720 views)

Shortcut

What chico wrote is a pretty standard set up. Assuming there is more than one room to the manager´s apartment. It would have what we would call NOB an apartment size stove, maybe 20 inches wide with 4 burners, Some have ovens, some don´t.

esperanza

Jul 7, 2011, 5:04 PM

Post #6 of 13 (4720 views)

Shortcut

Nina, please don't think I'm being harsh, but my writing teachers always said, "Write within your frame of reference."

I've lived in Mexico for over 30 years, have a huge frame of reference for this country, am a professional food writer, and have no earthly idea how to answer your question--except for one thing. It would be highly unusual to find an oven in this man's kitchen. An oven--at least an oven as part of a stove--is not a 'bare necessity' in any poor Mexican kitchen. Hotplate, yes. Stovetop burners, maybe. Oven, no.

The best way to find out the answer to your question is to do your own research in the field--i.e., go to Sonora and see for yourself. I think you'd be surprised at what you find out.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Jul 7, 2011, 5:05 PM)

nina78

Jul 7, 2011, 5:04 PM

Post #7 of 13 (4714 views)

Shortcut

Re: [whynotwrite] Question about Bare Necessity Kitchen

Thank you guys!

Rolly

Jul 7, 2011, 5:11 PM

Post #8 of 13 (4710 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Question about Bare Necessity Kitchen

I agree that ovens are often not included. I don't have one.
In Los Angeles I had two, but I rarely miss not having one here.
Basic Mexican home cooking doesn't often call for an oven.

Rolly Pirate

mazbook1

Jul 7, 2011, 7:00 PM

Post #9 of 13 (4687 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Question about Bare Necessity Kitchen

I pretty much agree with esperanza. I would say that he would feel that a two-burner, counter top gas hotplate, a sink, a small refrigerator, a couple of sizes of sartenes - frying pans - a stovetop comal - griddle pan - and a few utensils would be all a Mexican man in his circumstances would ever want and need. Of course a couple of plates and soup bowls and some eating utensils would be necessary too. And if he was much of a Mexican cook at all, definitely a licuadora - blender - a necessity in EVERY Mexican kitchen.

I know several single gringos living in México who get by with nothing but this and eat well, although I think that most of them get a toaster or toaster oven too. Hard to live without that hot, buttered toast for breakfast. LOL

Rolly

Jul 7, 2011, 7:55 PM

Post #10 of 13 (4681 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Question about Bare Necessity Kitchen

You pretty well describe my kitchen except I have a bit large fridge, a MW, a few more pots and pans, and a blinder, but no toaster. It works well for my current life style.

Rolly Pirate

mazbook1

Jul 8, 2011, 1:47 PM

Post #11 of 13 (4629 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Question about Bare Necessity Kitchen

You're right, Rolly. A single gringo living in México MUST have a microwave! As a matter of fact (because I did it for awhile back when I first moved to México) a single gringo can actually survive pretty well with ONLY a microwave instead of the countertop gas hotplate. The only thing I really missed was having my omelets for breakfast. LOL

Rolly

Jul 8, 2011, 2:23 PM

Post #12 of 13 (4626 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Question about Bare Necessity Kitchen

In my case the MW is about the least used item in my kitchen.
I never buy prepared foods, so the MW is just used to warm leftovers.
I've thought about removing it to gain counter space,
but when I look at all the things I store on top of it,
I realize there would be no net gain of space. :-)

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Jul 8, 2011, 2:25 PM)

mazbook1

Jul 8, 2011, 3:24 PM

Post #13 of 13 (4613 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Question about Bare Necessity Kitchen

Rolly, You need to get you a copy of some "Cooking with a Microwave oven" recipe book! I NEVER buy prepared foods, and found I could cook a LOT of very tasty dishes with nothing but a microwave. Of course, for me, cooking is my favorite form of relaxation, so it was fun learning what all I could cook with nothing but a microwave. I still use the microwave when I want to prepare meat loaf, pescado à la veracruzana and a few other family favorites. MY mexican family purely loves some of my gringo dishes.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4