Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

nemene

Jul 6, 2011, 7:32 PM

Post #1 of 7 (7451 views)

Shortcut

Naturalization - certifying no criminal record?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Greetings all;

The list of requirements for the naturalization-through-residency process on the SRE website includes a "certificado de no antecedentes penales" from both a federal and a local authority. Some friends of mine were told that such a certificate could only be obtained, in person, in el D.F.

Has everyone who has gone through this process actually traveled to el D.F.? Depending on where you live- my friends currently live in Baja Sur - this seems like an absurd hardship, in terms of both time and money spent. I would appreciate any advice on their behalf.

-Nemene

Maesonna

Jul 7, 2011, 6:24 PM

Post #2 of 7 (7353 views)

Shortcut

Re: [nemene] Naturalization - certifying no criminal record?

A search suggests they are mistaken. It looks like it will still take some investigating where to go and what to do, but this is a starting point.

Papirex

Jul 7, 2011, 7:53 PM

Post #3 of 7 (7332 views)

Shortcut

I applied for Mexican citizenship in Mexico (City) several years ago. There was no mention of any certificate to prove that I had no criminal record.

On the way back to Cuernavaca, my then lawyer told me that there were over 40 offices in The Republic where a person could apply for citizenship. This was several years ago, so I have no idea of how many there may be today, or what their addresses may be.

There is probably an office to apply for citizenship near to every area.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Casa

Jul 7, 2011, 10:04 PM

Post #4 of 7 (7316 views)

Shortcut

Hello,

The short answer is yes usually you will have to go to Mexico City to get a Federal Police Report, (or have a family member with a poder go and get it for you.) There is one other possibility that I mention at the end)

Here is the section from the FAQs for the SRE that does the naturalization. There is also a phone number you can call SRE and SPF in Mexico City and ask them.

http://www.sre.gob.mx/index.php/tramites-y-servicios/nacionalidad-y-naturalizacion

CONSTANCIA FEDERAL
¿Cómo obtener la constancia de Antecedentes no Penales Federal para el trámite de Naturalización?
Respuesta: Le atenderá la Dirección de Normatividad y Control de la SPF, Órgano Administrativo Desconcentrado de la Secretaría de Seguridad Pública Federal que se encuentra ubicada en la Calle de Xola Nº 324 1er piso, Colonia del Valle, Delegación Benito Juárez, C P 03100, México, D F, Teléfono 56 82 94 94, extensión 606 y/o 607, de lunes a viernes. Entre División del Norte y Coyoacan.

You can always call the above number and see what they say you need to do or if you can do it locally. You can also check at the local SRE office.

Now other options MAY include the following:

http://www.pgr.gob.mx/TransFoc/antecedentes%20registrales.asp

http://www.antecedentes.com.mx/constancias/index.htm

I have not used any of these services for INM in Mexico so I do not know 100% if they are what you need but I thought that perhaps they could help you.

The local report is usually done by the state and each state is different. Here is a link for Jalisco as an example http://cienciasforenses.jalisco.gob.mx/constancias.html

Good luck and let us know how it goes for you.

mazbook1

Jul 8, 2011, 1:37 PM

Post #5 of 7 (7247 views)

Shortcut

Like papirex, there was no such requirement of me when I applied for naturalization back in 2007, or if there was the SRE office in Culiacán ignored it. Got my citizenship with no problems except that it did take nearly two years from start to finish.

mrland

May 20, 2012, 6:09 PM

Post #6 of 7 (4529 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Casa] Naturalization - certifying no criminal record?

Do you have any new links for the carta de no antecedentes, the ones you have do not now work. I went to DF for the carta which except for the long line is a pretty easy process once you are there. However, the requirment of having someone go through the trouble and expenses (pay airfare, hotel, taxi etc.)associated with getting the carta is insensitive not to mention it is a hardship for most people. What's more, the carta is only valid for a month so if you should have some delay and miss the time to submit your petition for naturalizacion you need to make the trip again! Get there by 7AM.

(This post was edited by mrland on May 20, 2012, 7:06 PM)

Vichil

May 21, 2012, 5:33 AM

Post #7 of 7 (4471 views)

Shortcut

This is correct you have to go to Mexico DF in person and it is only valid 3 month so time it right, I have to go back as my birth certificate took too long to get apostilled and show up from Europe, I have to get the constancia from Chapala and from DF again.... I would check on the internet for facilitator if I lived in Baja, from what I saw I cannot imagine that someone could not pick it up for your friends.
Just went through it amonth ago in Jalisco with a lawyer

(This post was edited by Vichil on May 21, 2012, 5:39 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4