Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

Yacatecuhtli

Jul 3, 2011, 2:09 PM

Post #1 of 7 (4741 views)

Shortcut

GDL Cartels

Can't Post | Private Reply
Can someone tell me what cartels operate in the Guadalajara area?

I was reading the news and saw some info on the Zetas in the area and did not think they were in Guadalajara….

Is Guadalajara considered a disputed territory?

Thanks

! Al pan, pan y al vino, vino !

chinagringo

Jul 3, 2011, 2:44 PM

Post #2 of 7 (4723 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Yacatecuhtli] GDL Cartels

I believe that it would be correct to state that Guadalajara is a disputed territory with Los Zetas, Sinaloa Cartel, La Familia and others attempting to gain full control of the plaza.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Yacatecuhtli

Jul 4, 2011, 10:03 PM

Post #3 of 7 (4593 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] GDL Cartels

Thanks for the info. I had been reading about some of the different cartel activity in the area and was confused by all the different names and alliances and who was after who. I had also read that Guadalajara had been a safe haven and there was not violence there but I guess not any more.

Thanks

chinagringo

Jul 5, 2011, 6:33 AM

Post #4 of 7 (4570 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Yacatecuhtli] GDL Cartels

All one has to do is read even one of the Guadalajara newspapers to grasp the fact that it can hardly be termed a safe haven. For example, in today's edition of INFORMADOR, it is being reported that there were 13 executions in the ZMG over this past weekend. Are all of these cartel related? I doubt it but it does seem to confirm a rising crime rate in this very large city.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

stina

Jul 25, 2011, 7:25 PM

Post #5 of 7 (4183 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] GDL Cartels

The ZMG (metropolitan zone) is indeed disputed territory. I've heard the Sinaloans, the Zetas and some remnants of La Familia (who might be joining forces with the Zetas) are fighting for the narco plaza. Most of the crimes are in lower-income areas, and it seems the foot soldiers are killing each other. As I understand it, there haven't been a lot of innocent bystanders caught in the middle, although that certainly has happened (including the extremely tragic and disturbing murder of two young sisters several months ago.)

I have lived in GDL for 4 years and have never seen any direct signs of violent crime here. I do have a friend however, who lives in a rotten neighborhood called El Collí, and people are murdered there pretty regularly. My friend (a 33 year old Mexican guy) who grew up there tells me that basically the murder victims in his 'hood have been young, male, not particularly well educated, and they haven't had jobs. The hot dog vendor who was shot last year *might* have been an innocent, but his nephew who was killed about 6 months later was definitely up to no good...

I'm from San Francisco originally, and lived in "nice" parts of the city where violent crime occasionally happened but was rarely seen. We'd hear about horrible stuff in Hunter's Point, but it was like another world. It feels the same here, at least now.

Goyo

Aug 1, 2011, 5:09 PM

Post #6 of 7 (3955 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stina] GDL Cartels

IMHO, stina, you made one of the best observations/points I've read here. The way crime distributes itself is not as global as fearful folks tend to believe. It is not everywhere at all moments. On the other hand, Murphy's Law and "s**t happens". This is why I don't let the vagaries of Mexico get in my way of enjoying the place. In fact, I enjoy the edgyness of Mexico. You'll never catch me in a VIPs even if I run the risk of being cut down by a drug cartel while eating street tacos or bacon-wrapped hotdogs.

Yacatecuhtli

Aug 9, 2011, 3:02 PM

Post #7 of 7 (3712 views)

Shortcut

GDL Cartels

In Reply To
You'll never catch me in a VIPs even if I run the risk of being cut down by a drug cartel while eating street tacos or bacon-wrapped hotdogs.

And speaking of hot dogs ...............

5 youths slain at hot dog stand in northern Mexico

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4