Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

cbeltran57

Jul 1, 2011, 2:13 AM

Post #1 of 17 (6887 views)

Shortcut

Renting in Lake Chapala area

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am interested in renting a home (mexican colonial) in the Chapala/Ajijic area, but want quiet. Where is the best area for quiet? What should I expect to pay?
Who do I contact? I am interested in living in a normal neighborhood with the locals. Can someone refer me to a rental agent? How long do the summer rains last, and is there very much humidity?
I am new to this site.
Cheryl Beltran

esperanza

Jul 1, 2011, 10:11 AM

Post #2 of 17 (6820 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbeltran57] Renting in Lake Chapala area

A friend of mine always says, "If you want peace and quiet, you need to pick another country." Small rural towns in Mexico (like those in the Lakeside area) are generally quite noisy. Here are some points you'll want to consider when you're looking at places to rent:
  • When you see a place that you really like, go back often and at various hours of various days or nights to look it over. The quiet daytime neighborhood might have a loud-mouth, wake-you-up-in-the-wee-hours rooster in every back yard, or it might be near the parish church, with its many bells that ring at unexpected hours. That placid grassy lot on the corner could well be an events location, where crowded weekend parties start at noon and end at six the following morning. The house could be on the route of a several-times-a-year religious procession that starts at 5:30AM with cohetes (think M80 firecrackers), tubas, trumpets, and singing. These processions can continue anywhere from 9 days to an entire month.
  • If you like the village of Ajijic, be aware that the nine days at the end of every November bring annual fiestas and their crowds, blocked streets, and nighttime dancing to live bands--with speakers as big as Volkswagen Beetles--and huge fireworks displays.
  • If you find a house you like on the mountain side of the village, be aware that the carretera (highway) that separates the south from the north side of town is noisy and that noise travels up the mountain.
  • Be sure to look at the houses on either side of that house you find, and at the places across the street as well. The garage with the innocent-looking sign that says Taller Mecánico means not that the mechanic is a tall guy, but that it's a car repair shop during the day and into the evening, with its banging, its blaring radio, and the cuates on the sidewalk at day's end, having a caguama or two.
  • The Lake Chapala area is full of iron-working shops. Notice if there is one on the block where you like that beautiful house--you'll hear the workers and all the pounding.
All that being said, the Lakeside area is lovely and you WILL find a place that meets your needs. Decide what those needs are, including quiet, before you start hunting, and be willing to make small compromises. You'll find a wonderful house in a wonderful neighborhood.

You mentioned colonial houses. Although the Lakeside area has been inhabited since long before the Spanish came, there isn't any real colonial architecture anywhere. Pseudo-colonial, yes, but nothing as old as the period you mention.

With regard to the rainy season, the answer--like the answer to most questions about Mexico--is "it depends". Usually the rains start mid-June and last until around mid-October. But the rain isn't constant; it falls mostly in the evening, and can last anywhere from a few minutes to all night. From time to time the Lakeside area catches the tail of a hurricane and it can drizzle for several days. Outside the rainy season, the humidity is very low. Even during the rainy season, the daytime humidity is on the low end. Except for the month of May and part of June, the climate is heavenly. In May, and in June until the rains come, it can be hotter than the hinges of hell, and dusty. But when those first rains fall, oh boy--heaven on earth.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Jul 1, 2011, 10:23 AM)

bournemouth

Jul 1, 2011, 10:53 AM

Post #3 of 17 (6808 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Renting in Lake Chapala area

Cheryl - Esperanza has given you a great answer - take it all in.

Finding rentals: there are notice boards at the Lake Chapala Society, Superlake and Walmart. Look at the member offices of the multiple listing service and see which of them have rentals - you should be able to look at those rentals on line, to get ideas. http://www.mlsmexico.com/chapala/members.php

It's probably best to arrange a short stay at a B & B, and then do your searching - things can look wonderful on line but not be as appealing when you are on the ground. Good luck - you will find something you like in short order, I'm sure.

(This post was edited by Rolly on Jul 1, 2011, 11:14 AM)

Vichil

Jul 1, 2011, 11:36 AM

Post #4 of 17 (6784 views)

Shortcut

If you like a house in the village, find out where the salon de eventos are. These are places people rent for parties, wedding etc...

We can hear some that are several blocks away so I can imagine the racket when they are next door. You cannot do much about noise here so get use to it or do not come.
One thing to keep in mind is the ability for humans to get used to things if they canoot do anything about it. Our neighbors has a bunch of parrots that you can only hear in the early morning or in the evening as a rule... At first we thought we would go out of our mind, now once in the while we have to listen to see if they are still here, we got used to them and do not even know they are here.

It all depends on your tolerance to noise and ability to get used to new noises.

Summer weather is pleasant, the humidity is very bearable, no need for A/C. It usually rains at night and we are more bothered by the electricity going off during storm than by heat or humidity.

cbeltran57

Jul 1, 2011, 12:51 PM

Post #5 of 17 (6759 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] Renting in Lake Chapala area

Thanks so much for your reply. I don't mind Mexican noises as much as I mind American noises. I have been vacationing in Mexico for over 20 years, and the noises are different, and mostly pleasurable. I am very dissatisfied with the States and what is happening here, and I do not plan to come back once I move. I am not saying I would betray my country, but my Grandmother was born in Chihuahua and my Grandfather was born in Barcelona, and I love the Mexican people. And Mexico is where me and my inner child are happiest and feel safest.
I want to live there full time, but I can't handle the humidity at the beach. Sounds like I could make it work. Thanks again for the description, it was very well said. I hope we can get acquainted over time.
Cheryl Beltran

sioux4noff

Jul 1, 2011, 10:05 PM

Post #6 of 17 (6688 views)

Shortcut

I don't mind Mexican noises as much as I mind American noises. I have been vacationing in Mexico for over 20 years, and the noises are different, and mostly pleasurable

Many people find that what they thought was pleasurable or charming while on a relatively short holiday can be quite annoying when it happens in your everyday life.
The cobblestone street in front of my house comes to mind - it looks very charming and Mexican, but my car and I would like a smooth street much better.

What type of American noise bothers you that you wouldn't find in Mexico?

Rolly

Jul 1, 2011, 10:20 PM

Post #7 of 17 (6684 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Renting in Lake Chapala area

A couple that come to mind: Drag racing down the street. Police and TV news helicopters at all hours of the day and night.

Rolly Pirate

Gringal

Jul 2, 2011, 7:43 AM

Post #8 of 17 (6628 views)

Shortcut

Lovely beach town in Southern California: Police and news helicopters. Airplane flight path to a huge airport.
Another flight path to a military base.

Zardoz

Jul 2, 2011, 7:48 AM

Post #9 of 17 (6626 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Renting in Lake Chapala area

We made a mistake in our small PNW city of allowing a helicopter school. We also live on the glidepath
for the airport. Now the planes are not bad. They come and go fast but the helicopters sit and hover
over one place for five to ten minutes a time. Moral of the story never live anywhere near a helicpter
school. I love the lack of airplane noise in Ajijic and the few (mostly ultralights) are more a novelty than
an irritation as they are so infrequent. On a quiet day you can hear the jets flying way high which you
can't do in the US anymore.

sioux4noff

Jul 2, 2011, 9:00 AM

Post #10 of 17 (6603 views)

Shortcut

I am interested in renting a home.., but want quiet... I am interested in living in a normal neighborhood with the locals.

I think for the most part, those two items are mutually exclusive. "Normal" Mexican neighborhoods have quite a bit of noise. Not always a bad thing, but just the way things are.
BTW, where we lived in Texas, we had no planes flying overhead, no helicopters, no drag racing cars. The Hewitt and Waco, TX police and TV stations do not have helicpoters!
I can't honestly think of one noise we had in Texas that we are glad we no longer have. Even the train tracks a few blocks away weren't a big deal.
And for the most part, most of the noise here in Mexico is not a big deal. People who visit us from other parts of the area and other parts of Mexico comment on how quiet it is here. We have birds, frogs (they are very loud at times) geckos, and other nature noises.
But in addition, a rooftop bar opened about 3 blocks from us within the last couple years and at times their music can be heard quite well in our bedroom, often until 3 a.m., and often poor quality live music. The Lienzo Charro is farther away, but we hear their live music very well at our house, and there is a party yard about 1/2 mile away and we hear their music too depending on how they set up. But those are not every day.

(This post was edited by sioux4noff on Jul 2, 2011, 9:09 AM)

cbeltran57

Jul 2, 2011, 10:47 AM

Post #11 of 17 (6574 views)

Shortcut

You are living in Mexico, not the states. That's why you have cobblestone streets. Yes, they are bumpy, but it's Mexico, not LA.

chinagringo

Jul 2, 2011, 1:56 PM

Post #12 of 17 (6540 views)

Shortcut

Not to worry, there exists a small secret group of former NOB residents that have made it their mission to reform the misguided Mexicans by surreptitiously introducing them to the more proper ways adhered to up north. While Gringos are forbidden to be involved in political issues, this group is working on petitions to ban:
1) the ringing of church bells
2) the use of cohetes to celebrate simply anything
3) the gas company trucks from advertizing GAZ over speakers
4) having chickens, cows, roosters, burros, horses, barking dogs or any other animal capable of making noise in any developed area
5) parades unless they agree to be totally silent
6) the playing of loud music anytime between their bedtime (7pm) and 8am in the morning
7) it from raining or having any thunderstorm activity between sunrise and sunset

It is my guess that these efforts will be promptly rewarded and total change will occur within 6 months!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

cbeltran57

Jul 2, 2011, 6:12 PM

Post #13 of 17 (6509 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Renting in Lake Chapala area

That is not what I was suggesting. Mexican life works well for me, and I can hardly wait to be there to experience it all.

chinagringo

Jul 2, 2011, 6:20 PM

Post #14 of 17 (6506 views)

Shortcut

Please don't take my post literally but there are truly those who wish to change Mexico!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

sioux4noff

Jul 2, 2011, 7:01 PM

Post #15 of 17 (6501 views)

Shortcut

there are truly those who wish to change Mexico

and amazingly, some of them are Mexican! I applaud those people who have the vision and determination to try to improve their communities.
We have an acquaintance who is running for political office. It appears (to us) he has very little chance of winning. But as he says, if no one even tries, nothing will ever change.

chinagringo

Jul 3, 2011, 9:24 AM

Post #16 of 17 (6431 views)

Shortcut

Mexicans trying or working towards changing Mexico is the way it is supposed to work. After all it is their Country!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

sioux4noff

Jul 3, 2011, 9:53 AM

Post #17 of 17 (6420 views)

Shortcut

My point exactly chinagringo. But so many Mexicans, just like so many people of any nationality, choose to do nothing.
I applaud our friend for trying and fully believing in his heart that the can and will make a difference.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4