Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico

geri

Jul 1, 2011, 12:56 AM

Post #1 of 6 (6335 views)

Shortcut

Info about Vivaaerobus in Oaxaca

Can't Post | Private Reply
This low cost airline has a big drawback. You need a Mexican credit card to make a reservatio over the Internet and there's no reservation office in Oaxaca .... until recently. The Vivaaerobus office is so new that even personnel at their DF phone number didn't know about it, nor did the taxi driver who took me there. It's in Plaza Paseo V, Av. Universidad 501 which is next to Burger King, across from Plaza de Valle. Easy to get to by bus...get off at Plaza de Valle, cross the street and walk back to Plaza V. There's a large Vivaaerobus sign on the building. You still need a Mexican credit card to charge but cash works fine! You can check online for prices, times and destinations. Even with luggage a ticket from Oaxaca to DF costs around 1,000 MXN, not a whole lot more than a luxe ADO bus. Just saying.

Geri

nob2sob

Jul 1, 2011, 6:03 AM

Post #2 of 6 (6327 views)

Shortcut

Re: [geri] Info about Vivaaerobus in Oaxaca

Thanks for that info Geri. That will make life so much easier!

Vichil

Jul 1, 2011, 6:32 AM

Post #3 of 6 (6325 views)

Shortcut

The other drawback to the airline is that if the flights are not full they sometimes get canceled. If there is no other flight that day or the following in places where they do not fly every day you miss your date... It is ok if you are flexible on your departure date but no so great if you have a comitment.. I know that in Chiapas they only fly so many days a week so you have to be flexible, if you cannot take another airline or the bus.

geri

Jul 1, 2011, 8:54 AM

Post #4 of 6 (6309 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] Info about Vivaaerobus in Oaxaca

That is certainly true, but it's getting more reliable I think due to increased awareness and use of Vivaaerobus.My visitors have an evening flight out of DF,so we have a Plan B (i.e. Aeromexico) if Viva should cancel.

By the way, Continental Express is now flying into Oaxaca from Houston every day. They were down to 3 or 4 times a week since 2006. I don't have any stats, but seems as if tourism is picking up here. The taxistas aren't moaning quite as much and lots of folks in the zocalo...my only measurement.

Vichil

Jul 1, 2011, 11:37 AM

Post #5 of 6 (6288 views)

Shortcut

It is not too bad when they are daily flight but in Chiapas we have 3 flights a week and it is more of a problem if you are on a tight schedule.

tashby

Jul 1, 2011, 4:27 PM

Post #6 of 6 (6262 views)

Shortcut

FYI, I've used my US-based credit card to pay for a Vivaaerobus ticket over the internet. It wasn't easy....I think I had to call my bank and tell them to approve it....but it did work. (Edit: I live in Mexico, and my US bank credit card is associated with my address here, so that may make a difference? Who knows.)

Still, it is considerably better to pay in cash, thus avoiding extra charges (one from VA for using a credit card, and a second from your bank via a foreign transaction fee. Here in Jalisco, the Vivaaerobus website offers an option to pay in cash at any HSBC branch. Would assume the same option exists in Oaxaca, if HSBC is there?

Vivaaerobus even charges for choosing to pay in cash. They charge for everything, but you can opt out of most of the stuff. Their fares are super-competitive....you just have to figure out how to effectively navigate their maddening website.

(This post was edited by tashby on Jul 1, 2011, 4:27 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4