Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

jwander

Jun 22, 2011, 3:45 PM

Post #1 of 2 (1749 views)

Shortcut

iphone update ?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have been offered an iphone to take on my upcoming move to Mexico. I am told by my children the messaging/email features may be a great way to stay in touch when not at our home. I really don't know much about them.Has anyone ever brought an unlocked iphone down and subscribed to Moviestar or Telcel and then used the SIM card provided by the local carrier in the iphone ? If it works, what are approx costs of monthly service ?

Thanks,

Jeff

johanson / Moderator

Jun 22, 2011, 8:32 PM

Post #2 of 2 (1723 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jwander] iphone update ?

Can't Post | Private Reply
A good friend picked up an unlocked GSM iPhone 3 from Canada more than a year ago, and has been using it for quite some time in Mexico. Unlocked GSM iPhones have been available for quite some time in Canada. Unlocked GSM iPhones just became available in the US about 2 weeks ago. GSM iPhones have been available with Telcel for quite some time. I don't know about MovieStar.

REMEMBER, YOU have to get a GSM iPhone. I SHOUT again, GSM.

So, yes, you can get a sim chip for your iPhone in Mexico. And yes if your are cheap like me, the old fashioned telephone only, not data chip, is a little too big for the iPhone, but many have successfully trimmed it and are using it. But for data they have to use WiFi. That's what I'm going to try at first.

Those who are more realistic simply get the real iPhone chip, pay a little more per month, and can do the same as those up North. How much does it cost per month? I don't know yet. I'm still up north for another week and I have not purchased a chip yet for my brand new white iPhone 4.

So, no problem using that iPhone in Mexico. I just don't know the costs. Good luck, oh, at first you could be overwhelmed by the iPhone, but with time, you will love all of the cool apps.

(This post was edited by johanson on Jun 22, 2011, 9:03 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4