Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

jeffstevenson

Jun 20, 2011, 5:17 AM

Post #1 of 18 (4116 views)

Shortcut

FM3 & taking and leaving a car in Manzanillo

Can't Post | Private Reply
Good Morning,
This is the year we make the move to Manzanillo on a more regular basis. We had intended to get FM3's this summer in Seattle, Looks like that's not going to happen as it appears the rules have changed. Can you all confirm that? We need to start the process in Manzanillo? As far as the car goes, we had intended to drive down and leave the car permanently. If we drive it down now it will be bonded, temporary and on a FMT. Correct? Can anyone recommend another option that accomplishes leaving it there on a more permanent basis (2001 toyota sienna) Thank you in advance for the help you may give us!
Jeff and Lynn

Rolly

Jun 20, 2011, 6:36 AM

Post #2 of 18 (4103 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jeffstevenson] FM3 & taking and leaving a car in Manzanillo

You can drive into Mexico and get your car permit with an FMM. When you change to an FM3, the car will remain legal under your new FM3. You do have to notify Aduana that you have made that change. There is an Aduana office in MZ where you can fill out the form called Annex 2 -- easy. You can read more here.

Rolly Pirate

jeffstevenson

Jun 20, 2011, 6:45 AM

Post #3 of 18 (4099 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] FM3 & taking and leaving a car in Manzanillo

Rolly,

Thanks so much for your reply, I'll go as you say, enter on the FMM ( new FMT?) and change everything in Manzanillo when we get the FM3. What about household & personal effects? Should we expect to pay Duty? Thanks again for your advice!!

Rolly

Jun 20, 2011, 6:51 AM

Post #4 of 18 (4095 views)

Shortcut

You might be charged a duty on some items. It's usually no big deal.

You can begin the FM3 process at the consulate in Seattle then complete it once you arrive in MZ. That's what I would do. I suggest you start that process right away because México is about to change the visa procedures, date uncertain, so it's a good idea to start the process PDQ.

Rolly Pirate

jeffstevenson

Jun 20, 2011, 6:57 AM

Post #5 of 18 (4089 views)

Shortcut

Rolly,

Okay! That sounds fantastic! I work on ships and so my schedule will have me apply in August and finish the process in Manzanillo in very early November. Will that satisfy the "PDQ"? Thanks again

Rolly

Jun 20, 2011, 7:12 AM

Post #6 of 18 (4079 views)

Shortcut

I guess I misunderstood when you plan to drive the MZ. If your trip is scheduled for November, that makes a difference. By then it is likely that the consulate will again be issuing FM3. Under the upcoming new rules, one cannot change from FMM to FM3 in México. FM3s will be issued by consulates.

Revised advice: Talk to the consulate about the best way to proceed.

Rolly Pirate

sparks

Jun 20, 2011, 7:13 AM

Post #7 of 18 (4075 views)

Shortcut

I'm not sure about a 4 month span in the process ... but maybe. Getting your visa in Manzanillo is easy and I would wait because it's more flexible time wise. Just be sure to pick a renewal date that you can meet each year

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

sparks

Jun 20, 2011, 7:15 AM

Post #8 of 18 (4071 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Under the upcoming new rules, one cannot change from FMM to FM3 in México. FM3s will be issued by consulates.

Whoa ... I sure missed that one

jeffstevenson

Jun 20, 2011, 7:17 AM

Post #9 of 18 (4067 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] FM3 & taking and leaving a car in Manzanillo

Sparks,

Thanks for that, I try to do whatever I can in Seattle in August, drive the car down with all the paperwork intact and see how it goes in Manzanillo,
Thanks for the advice

jeffstevenson

Jun 20, 2011, 7:22 AM

Post #10 of 18 (4065 views)

Shortcut

Hey Rolly,
I'm sure I was not being clear about my intentions. I was planning to get the FM3 at the consulate in Seattle in mid August and then drive to Manzanillo in the last week in October which would have me there by 10/29. That is until I realized through your website that my information was not very current. I really appreciate you taking the time!!

La Isla

Jun 20, 2011, 8:33 AM

Post #11 of 18 (4048 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I guess I misunderstood when you plan to drive the MZ. If your trip is scheduled for November, that makes a difference. By then it is likely that the consulate will again be issuing FM3. Under the upcoming new rules, one cannot change from FMM to FM3 in México. FM3s will be issued by consulates.

Rolly,

Will the upcoming new rules you mention include people coming to Mexico who want to work? Most of those who come here hoping to teach English currently arrive on a tourist visa and change to a work visa once they fine a job. So there's no way they'll be able to get an FM3, or whatever the new name will be, from the Mexican consulate in their home country.

Rolly

Jun 20, 2011, 8:43 AM

Post #12 of 18 (4039 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] FM3 & taking and leaving a car in Manzanillo

We'll have to wait to see how the rules spell it out, but the law is clear that a tourist visa cannot be upgraded within México.

Rolly Pirate

La Isla

Jun 20, 2011, 8:54 AM

Post #13 of 18 (4025 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
We'll have to wait to see how the rules spell it out, but the law is clear that a tourist visa cannot be upgraded within México.

If so, it's coming to turn the TEFLin Mexico world upside down!

[TEFL = Teaching of English as a Foreign Language]

arbon

Jun 20, 2011, 11:45 AM

Post #14 of 18 (3985 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] FM3 & taking and leaving a car in Manzanillo

Can't Post |

In Reply To

In Reply To

So perhaps if Mexico hires outside the country the skilled and educated personnel will not enter as tourists any more. Eh
(in Canada they are called landed immigrants)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

karenanron

Jun 20, 2011, 11:52 AM

Post #15 of 18 (3981 views)

Shortcut

Brother. Didn't they just last year come up with the ruling that you HAD to be in Mx to upgrade? At least that's what I had in my head after reading all this stuff on moving to Mx. My head hurts, I need some tequila

La Isla

Jun 20, 2011, 11:57 AM

Post #16 of 18 (3977 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] FM3 & taking and leaving a car in Manzanillo

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

So perhaps if Mexico hires outside the country the skilled and educated personnel will not enter as tourists any more. Eh
(in Canada they are called landed immigrants)

It wouldn't work with the vast majority of language schools and even most universities who hire foreign English teachers. They are used to hiring people who are already here and ready for an interview. And unfortunately, many of the native speakers of English that are hired are not particularly qualified to be teachers beyond their native-speaker status, present company excepted, of course!

Mexberry

Jun 29, 2011, 4:41 PM

Post #17 of 18 (3732 views)

Shortcut

We started our FMM application in Vancouver - we were issued with a "visa"that is attached to your passport. Beware that this is not really a visa as we know it. When you get to the border you will be issued with an FMM. The expiration date of this is the important date, by which you have to apply for an 'FM3' and not the date that is on your Visa. What the visa does is save you the bother of supplying financial details etc. when you apply for your FM3.
We were fined because we used the date in our visa which expired after the FMM, so in effect were in mexico illegally. If the INM office in Manzanillo is really busy, you will find it beneficial to use a broker who knows the local requirements and will line up for you (3 - 4 hours PV) and call you just before your turn is due.
Mexberry.

sparks

Jun 29, 2011, 6:11 PM

Post #18 of 18 (3719 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mexberry] FM3 & taking and leaving a car in Manzanillo

You don't have to sit in the Manzanillo office for 3-4 hours if you see there's a bunch of people in front of you. Go sightseeing or shopping and come back at 11:30-12.

I never go early because I don't like looking into the sun driving east from Melaque. It's only once a year!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4