Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

clariboe

Jun 18, 2011, 7:26 PM

Post #1 of 11 (4148 views)

Shortcut

Moving stuff down while on visitor visa

Can't Post | Private Reply
We are moving down late this year and will have initially a visitors visa. We are not moving our household in total. I would like to take our minivan full of some of our "stuff" down while on the visitor's visa. I will not be keeping the van down there. We would be driving it back and leaving it NOB. Several questions come to mind: 1) Would there be any problem with a car full of personal stuff going in on a visitor's visa for an "extended vacation"? 2) When we return NOB, months later, with the car, would there be any problem with it being empty? I understand that they are concerned about people taking stuff in and selling it, 3) Would there be a problem with making these trips several times over a year?

Would appreciate your expertise. Thanks.

chinagringo

Jun 18, 2011, 8:13 PM

Post #2 of 11 (4129 views)

Shortcut

Re: [clariboe] Moving stuff down while on visitor visa

The past couple of years, we have made a trip to Mexico in our Ford Windstar. While we no longer have a home in Mexico, our van has typically been full of stuff for friends. At our particular border crossing, I never even knew where the "declare lane" was. We always pulled into the regular crossing lane and went through the red light/green light process. When getting the red light, they would ask us to open the doors. I would tell them in my admittedly horrible Spanish: "for casa in Chapala". End of conversation and we were on our merry way. Just our experience at one particular crossing and we all know their procedures may vary at other crossings!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Rolly

Jun 18, 2011, 8:19 PM

Post #3 of 11 (4128 views)

Shortcut

1. You can bring your car full of things, no problem, but you may be charged an import duty on some of the items.
2. You can leave with an empty car, no problem there.
3. You can make as many trips bringing your things as you wish. No problem as long as you can pay the small duty charges.

You might want to spend some time reading from this website to learn more about moving to México.

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Jun 18, 2011, 8:20 PM)

cookj5

Jun 18, 2011, 8:25 PM

Post #4 of 11 (4122 views)

Shortcut

When we moved down permanently 4 years ago, we loaded our Toyota Corola to the roof with stuff, including a desktop computer and other electronic gear, boxes of books, a box of tools, clothing etc. We came in on an FMT (now called an FMM) or tourist visa. We got a red light at the aduana, but the guy only took a cursory look at our stuff and we were done in about 5 minutes. We didn't apply for our FM3 until we had been here for several months.

Question #1: I don't think you should have any trouble coming in the way you describe. However, I would remove any electronic gear from its original box so it doesn't look like you are bringing new stuff in for resale. Also, check out the aduana (customs) list of stuff you are allowed to bring across without duties. You may be ok already with what you are planning to bring across. See Rolly Brooks' website for duty-free and prohibited items. Just in case, you might keep a list of the brand, serial #, and cost of anything electrical you are bringing. The cost is whatever you say its worth.

Question #2: I have never heard of anyone having any problem coming back across with an empty car. The major thing aduana would be concerned with is that you turn in your temporary import sticker on your car before you recross the border into the US.

Question #3: People go back and forth across the border fairly often. Should be no problem, as long as you keep in mind the answers to questions #1 & 2.

Buen viaje.

(This post was edited by cookj5 on Jun 18, 2011, 8:30 PM)

clariboe

Jun 18, 2011, 8:51 PM

Post #5 of 11 (4112 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cookj5] Moving stuff down while on visitor visa

All great advice and pretty much what I expected. Rolly, I bought your book a few months ago and it has been a gold mine of information. These particular questions were not answered however. One last question - I may already know the answer - I would prefer to have someone else drive the car down and meet up with them at the house. However, I believe that I would have to be with the car at the crossing and no one other than immediate family could drive it. Is that correct?

Rolly

Jun 18, 2011, 9:33 PM

Post #6 of 11 (4107 views)

Shortcut

I believe that I would have to be with the car at the crossing That is correct.

and no one other than immediate family could drive it. Is that correct? That is not correct. Read Article 106.

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Jun 18, 2011, 9:34 PM)

Camille

Jun 18, 2011, 10:31 PM

Post #7 of 11 (4099 views)

Shortcut

No worries! For several years I drove roundtrip at least twice a year and always entered Mexico loaded to the gills! I moved my household goods in maybe a dozen trips, the last one with a ten ft. trailer, which was a breeze, wish I'd taken that route earlier!
I was never asked to pay duty on anything.

clariboe

Jun 20, 2011, 7:12 AM

Post #8 of 11 (4010 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Camille] Moving stuff down while on visitor visa

Camille,
Where did you cross the border? Where did go in Mexico? We will be going to Cuernavaca which is 19 to 20 hrs (I think) and crossing at Laredo.

Camille

Jun 20, 2011, 7:27 PM

Post #9 of 11 (3920 views)

Shortcut

At that time I was crossing at Colombia. Not sure I would cross there now, especially since I am alone that leg of the trip. There's a long stretch, maybe twenty miles, of lonely road til you reach the Laredo bypass. Most recently I have crossed at Laredo and Brownsville.
Last time I was pulling the trailer and hired a driver, a Mexican truck driver, who was excellent. He charged $50US per day plus expenses. The trip was a breeze and tho I could have done it myself, the idea of any kind of breakdown with a trailer full of treasures was daunting, so I let myself be driven.
Driver's contact info I will post separately.

Camille

Jun 20, 2011, 8:37 PM

Post #10 of 11 (3900 views)

Shortcut

Sorry, had to go look up his info. He is Marco Antonio Tinajera, and his phone is 52-867-108-0206. Email is tinajermarthaoo@hotmail.com
He does not speak much English, but asked me to only speak English to him. And I, of course, wanted to work on my Spanish! Oh well...
A very pleasant and responsible young man and a superb driver. Cheap at twice the price!

clariboe

Jun 22, 2011, 7:02 AM

Post #11 of 11 (3786 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for the info. I may give him a shout when it gets close to see if he would still do that. Thanks a lot for the info.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4