Forums  > Areas > Mexico City & Surroundings
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Anonimo

Jul 5, 2011, 4:14 AM

Post #51 of 61 (8681 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] A MONTH in Mexico City!

Can't Post | Private Reply

Too bad the Chinese Restaurant had packed bags/wasn't there.

Which Chinese Restaurant was that, Travis?

Is the Mojing Comida China still in business at Calle Humboldt #56, esq. Artículo 123, Colonia Centro?

Saludos,
Anonimo

esperanza

Jul 5, 2011, 6:18 AM

Post #52 of 61 (8673 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] A MONTH in Mexico City!

That's the one, Sr. Anónimo. It's gone.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

TigerTonio

Jul 9, 2011, 4:42 PM

Post #53 of 61 (8549 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] A MONTH in Mexico City!

Travis, I'm a little late here as I don't check in with this forum often anymore, but I will add my recommendation to Esperanza's - check out JASO. Do the tasting menu or if you want to play it "simple"(haha), go for a plate of their foie gras ravioli topped with black truffle. "Orgasmically" delicious.

www.jaso.com.mx

Maesonna

Aug 1, 2011, 8:54 AM

Post #54 of 61 (8038 views)

Shortcut

July is over, but it may be useful to future readers of this thread to keep collecting ideas for things to do and see in DF.

From another forum, here’s an account of someone’s trip on the tren suburbano and a couple of peseros to Tlalnepantla to visit two pyramids; Tenayuca and Santa Cecilia.

(This post was edited by Maesonna on Aug 1, 2011, 9:06 AM)

tashby

Aug 7, 2011, 4:40 PM

Post #55 of 61 (7854 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] A MONTH in Mexico City!

Thanks to everybody for the help with my trip. It was just great. I spent all of July, and here's what I did, in abbreviated/list format. What an amazing city!

Worst meal: Café Tacuba

Most disappointing meal: Azul Condesa

Most pleasant dining surprise: A super Coq au Vin at Bistro La Gloria (?) in Condesa

Most ridiculously abundant type of restaurant in Condesa: French Bistro

Best Churro: The Churro place in Coyoacan in between the Plaza and Frida’s Blue House.

Worst Churro: The other Churro place on the other side of the Plaza in Coyoacan. Just nasty. Inedible.

Best Taco: The variation on Tacos al Pastor at Tacos “El Griego” in Condesa on Michoacan

Best day on a watercraft: Xochimilco – FUN, but only with a group! The trajineras with only a couple of people looked sad.

Best Park: Parque Mexico (Condesa); second best: Parque Lincoln (Polanco).

Random fun day: La Reforma on pedestrian/bycicle Sunday

Most pleasant museum surprise: Joaquin Clausell’s studio at the Museum de la Ciudad, an otherwise nothing museum. His studio is one giant mosaic of paintings on all the walls, floor to ceiling, that took 30 years to do. Amazing.

Worst serendipitous moment: Being locked out of the apartment all night on a rainy, cold night. Elevator was broken, and person I rented from failed to give me a full set of keys, so couldn't use secondary door. Ugh to her.

Best serendipitous moment: Wandering into Plaza del Angel just as the 17-and-under Mexican National Futbol Team was arriving during their World Championship parade.

Biggest surprise: Seeing myself and friends in the cover photo of several Mexico City dailies at the above mentioned championship celebration. (see attached "Where's Waldo?" photo....no really, I can actually see myself and my friends in the print version of the photo!)

Undoubtedly interesting neighborhood I still haven’t figured out how to enjoy: Roma

Best, lucky find: A map printed by the CITY tourism department that shows all the streets in the centro historico and indicates what their specialties are: the wedding dress street, the lamparas street, the muebles street, etc. Also has walking tour routes and great graphics.

Building I just can’t get over even after seeing it several times: Palacio de Correos

Favorite bookstore: Cafebreria El Péndulo – Roma location on A. Obregon

Second favorite bookstore: Fondo Culturaeconomica, Condesa.

Biggest exercise in futility: Trying to see the Tiffany curtain at Belles Artes. Still haven’t seen it in four tries.

Bad/Good bank experience: Losing my atm card to a machine that ate it – was my fault; being thankful Bank of America delivered me a new card by Fedex just two days later.

Worst traffic: Taxi between Polanco and Condesa

The thing I don’t need to see again for at least a year or ten: Argentinian Grill restaurant

The one thing I wanted to buy but couldn’t find: UNAM sweatshirt

Most frightening/uncomfortable moment: none

And here's a list of things I did with a month in Mexico City:
-Touribus
-Monte de Piedad (National Pawn Shop HQ on Zocalo)
La Catedral Metropolitana
Palacio Nacional (great year-long museum exhibition for bicentenario)
Museo de Caricaturas (?) – funky but fun
Museo de Estanquillo – really well done exhibit, but not what I was hoping to see
Antiguo Colegio de San Ildefonso – great, just great
Palacio Belles Artes
Palacio de Correos – just can’t get over the place, interior and exteriors
Templo Mayor
Museo de Arte Popular (Wow! What a beautifully done museum!)
Museo de Antropología (It’s all been said before)
Museo de la Ciudad (Joaquin Clausell studio)
Museo Dolores Olmedo
Frida’s Blue House and Coyoacan neighborhood on a weekend
Bazar Sabado in San Angel
Casa de Azulejos
Teatro Insurgenetes (exterior)
Art Walk in Roma on Sunday (Alvaro Obregon)
The lobby of the Gran Hotel (wow, and that tiffany ceiling!)
Universidad del Claustro de Sor Juana (not much here, but interesting to me just being where she was)
Xochimilco – Now that’s a floating party on Sundays…
Bycicle/Pedestrian Sundays on La Reforma (fun! And not just for those on bikes)
El Péndulo – Bookstore with really interesting and indiosyncratic collection
Fondo Culturaeconomica (Condesa…wow!)
Lincoln Park, Polanco
The Alameda
Wandering backstreets of el Centro Historico

(This post was edited by tashby on Aug 7, 2011, 4:50 PM)
Attachments: mx_laprensa.750.jpg (178 KB)

Rolly

Aug 7, 2011, 5:33 PM

Post #56 of 61 (7831 views)

Shortcut

WOW!!!

Rolly Pirate

La Isla

Aug 7, 2011, 5:52 PM

Post #57 of 61 (7823 views)

Shortcut

So pleased you liked my favorite museum in Mexico City: the Museo de Arte Popular! The director is a student of mine and I´ll let him know how much you enjoyed your visit.

tashby

Aug 7, 2011, 6:45 PM

Post #58 of 61 (7806 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] A MONTH in Mexico City!

The Museo de Arte Popular is so spectacularly well-done! I'm no expert on all the different genres, so I can't comment on how complete the collection is or whether or not it represents the very best of the very best from everywhere. But that said, I have been around the block and know some of the different work from different areas. It's a hugely ambitious undertaking, and frankly, I was really impressed with how well-executed the whole museum is. Spectacular. And such a relatively new museum....could it get even better???

Plus, I (finally) got to see the Huichol Volkswagon Beetle! I believe it was created in Guadalajara last year, but I never managed to go see it at Cabanas. (My bad, my lazy.) So I was really happy to see it in the museum. Please send my thanks and kudos to your student, the Director. Well done!

See the attached photos of the VW Bug, taken by my friend Candice.

(This post was edited by tashby on Aug 7, 2011, 6:48 PM)
Attachments: HuicholVW1small.jpg (49.9 KB)
  HuicholVW2small.jpg (66.1 KB)

La Isla

Aug 7, 2011, 7:33 PM

Post #59 of 61 (7794 views)

Shortcut

The museum does have a marvelous collection of artesanias from all over the country, some historical, much of it contemporary, some donated by collectors and artisans, some commissioned by the museum. Like all museums it can only display a portion of the collection at one time. As time goes on, the museum is bound to become even better if the dedication, integrity and expertise of the director and his staff has anything to say about it. Try to time another visit to Mexico City in October, so you can see the fantastic Desfile de Alebrijes Monumentales, which has become a tradition in the city. This year the fifth version will take place on Saturday, October 22.

Isn't the Volchol amazing?

Anonimo

Aug 8, 2011, 2:46 AM

Post #60 of 61 (7751 views)

Shortcut

Excellent, Tashby! I enjoyed that very much.

I can understand how Colonia Roma may not immediately appeal to all.

Agreed about the Argentinean grill restaurants. However, they can be very enjoyable. I especially liked Parrilla Quilmes. El Diez Roma is o.k. but very "sports bar" in atmosphere. One advantage is its proximity to our usual hotels in Col. Roma.

Sorry to hear about Azul Condesa. I'd been waverng about eating there ever since it opened. I think we will return, instead to El Racó, on the Avenida Sonora, across from Parque México, where we had an overall excellent experience a year or so ago.

We also love Parque México!

Saludos,
Anonimo

richmx2

Aug 11, 2011, 12:01 AM

Post #61 of 61 (7603 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] A MONTH in Mexico City!

Um... what about the new inter-urban train (Tren Subrbano) that runs north to Cuititlan (EdoMex)? "Indianagirl" recently wrote an excellent report on her trip to Tenayuca (via Tren and pesero) well worth reading to those who use Mexico City area public transit:

http://mexfiles.net
http://mexicobookpublishers.com
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4