Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico

prorader

Jun 13, 2011, 6:34 AM

Post #1 of 4 (4570 views)

Shortcut

Oaxaca

Can't Post | Private Reply
Any ideas about moving to Oaxaca, housing and such. There appears to be a lot of interesting things happening there, with a blend of different cultures and people

geri

Jun 14, 2011, 4:43 AM

Post #2 of 4 (4498 views)

Shortcut

Re: [prorader] Oaxaca

What do you want to know specifically? What kind of housing? Ownership, rentals? Within the historical center, houses for sale are quite scarce and also VERY expensive. In the nearby colonias or villages outside the city center, you can find land and houses for sale. You no doubt will rent at first. Same applies to rentals. It takes time and patience, and generally several moves, to find just the right housing. Even though tourism is down, so"they" say, there seems to be a lot of expats moving to Oaxaca. Because it's a big city, it's not "touristic" in the usual sense of the word. It's a popular destination for Mexicans and so even in the tourist spots, foreigners don't outnumber natives.

It's difficult, for me, to predict how folks will react to Oaxaca. It's quite different than other parts of Mexico. You just have to come, prepared to stay for a year or so, and decide for yourself. I don't think there are gated communities (maybe one or two) and expats seem to be sprinkled about throughout the valley. The main gathering spot for English speaking folks is the OLL (www.oaxlibrary.org) but hundreds of foreigners living in Oaxaca don't join the library. Oaxaca attracts more of the off-the-beaten-path type of person. My opinion.

I've lived in Oaxaca for 14 years. Came alone for a visit, not knowing anyone, and it captured my heart. Things I like: the variety and abundance of cultural events. Fiestas, dance, music, art, permeate the city daily. There's enough archeological and historical features to keep your interest for a lifetime. Oaxaca is a commercial hub for dozens of villages, all accessible by bus, so there's a combination of both city and country ambience. With temperate weather and so much going on, you'll not be bored. Frustrated about basic infrastructure perhaps, but not bored.

The Pacific coast is only 1500 pesos and 45 minutes away by plane.

So, for all of these reasons, housing poses a challenge, but not an insurmountable one if you really like Oaxaca. Only you will know.

cookj5

Jun 24, 2011, 8:54 PM

Post #3 of 4 (4319 views)

Shortcut

Re: [prorader] Oaxaca

My wife and I visited Oaxaca last August and fell in love with it. If we ever move from Lake Chapala, Oaxaca will be at, or close to, the top of our list.

Here are the postings I did on Oaxaca for my photo-journal blog called Jim and Carole's Mexico Adventure:

http://cookjmex.blogspot.com/search/label/Oaxaca

You can either start with Part 9 and work back (all parts are self-contained) or scroll down to Part 1 and work forward. Enjoy!

(This post was edited by Rolly on Jun 24, 2011, 10:28 PM)

brecky

Jun 25, 2011, 9:32 AM

Post #4 of 4 (4277 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cookj5] Oaxaca

Great photos & a great resource. Thanks. I hope to spend a winter there in the next few years. If you have any connections for an apartment rental in el centro, please let me know.

Lorraine

My travel photography home page:
http://www.worldisround.com/home/brecky/index.html

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4