Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Rolly

Jun 12, 2011, 6:37 PM

Post #1 of 6 (3183 views)

Shortcut

A question of etiquette

Can't Post | Private Reply
In my never ending quest for interesting places to eat, I found a place called Oriental Grill (a chain of several mostly in northern México) with an online menu that looked like it just might be an authentic Chinese restaurant. So my friend Nery and I went today to check it out. Best Chinese food I have found in México.

While we were over-eating, the waiter brought us two large shot glasses of Tequila, compliments of the couple at a near-by table. Since neither of us drinks, we were in a bit of a quandary. I persuaded Nery to take the drinks to the couple, thank them profusely, and explain that we don't drink. That seemed to be OK as the guy waved and smiled at me. He explained that he sent the drinks because he was glad to see an American taking pictures and enjoying life in México.

What would you have done?

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Jun 12, 2011, 9:26 PM)

chinagringo

Jun 12, 2011, 6:50 PM

Post #2 of 6 (3175 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] A question of etiquette

Not sure of what would be the most acceptable way to handle this situation in Mexico but would speculate that you handled it in the most proper manner available. No matter where you are, most people will accept the fact that you don't participate in the consumption of adult beverages and their feelings should be hurt. The fact that you recognized their generosity should have been sufficient.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

esperanza

Jun 12, 2011, 7:31 PM

Post #3 of 6 (3155 views)

Shortcut

That's a truly delicate situation and it seems to me that you guys handled it perfectly. Felicidades!

And the menu looks wonderful! I have found ONE Chinese restaurant in the DF that serves excellent Szechuan and Hunan food--the owners are from Hong Kong and really know their stuff. Glad to hear that there's another place and that it's close to you.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

La Isla

Jun 12, 2011, 8:25 PM

Post #4 of 6 (3137 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] A question of etiquette

In Reply To

And the menu looks wonderful! I have found ONE Chinese restaurant in the DF that serves excellent Szechuan and Hunan food--the owners are from Hong Kong and really know their stuff. Glad to hear that there's another place and that it's close to you.

Don´t keep it a secret, Esperanza. Where is this place and what's it called? Hopefully, it's not out of my price range : ) .

tashby

Jun 12, 2011, 9:07 PM

Post #5 of 6 (3123 views)

Shortcut

What would you have done?

Well, I would have drank the Tequila. Then I would have sent something back and seen where it led! But that's just me...

As far as I can tell, you handled it perfectly. What else could you do?

P.S. And yes, Esperanza. Where's that place?

(This post was edited by tashby on Jun 12, 2011, 9:08 PM)

Rolly

Jun 12, 2011, 9:46 PM

Post #6 of 6 (3108 views)

Shortcut

Also, this is the only restaurant we have been to that is fully handicapped accessible with a low-slope ramp from the parking lot and wide double doors. It seems to be paying off for the business. We saw three wheelchairs, two guys on crutches, and several old folks with canes. Made me feel right at home.
I have seen two up-scale restaurants with ramps so steep as to be useless.
México is not very wheelchair friendly.

This is half of the main dinning room. There is a party room upstairs.

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Jun 12, 2011, 9:48 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4