Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

wearechange

Jun 3, 2011, 11:35 AM

Post #1 of 15 (9255 views)

Shortcut

Damn phone extorters.

Can't Post | Private Reply
I got my cherry popped today with my first phone call extortion scheme. I was startled at first because they mentioned my wife´s name and the biz address. But when the perp said he had his men a few feet away I walked outside saw nothing and he never mentioned that his men told him I walked out it kind of gave me some assurance that it was your run of the mill phone scam extorter. However, I will be a little more cautious and never again answer blocked number phone calls. I will tie the camel and trust in the Lord.

raferguson

Jun 3, 2011, 6:07 PM

Post #2 of 15 (9201 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wearechange] Damn phone extorters.

Did they call you in English or Spanish?

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

jrpierce

Jun 4, 2011, 9:51 AM

Post #3 of 15 (9142 views)

Shortcut

Welcome to the club. My call was in Spanish, and the fellow asked for me by name when I answered. We get lots of marketing phone calls from Mexican business people we deal with (contractors, our bank, our auto dealer, doctors, etc.). He said there were 3 SUV's nearby, filled with armed men who would kill us unless we paid something. While I am reasonably competent in day to day Spanish, I switched to English and pretended not to understand him. He became very frustrated at my apparent lack of understanding. I finally said in my worst possible Spanish accent, "No entiendo. Lo siento." and hung up on him.

That was several months ago, and we have not been bothered again.

I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but I have yet to hear of anyone who has suffered any adverse consequences from blowing off these calls.

Jim

Casa

Jun 4, 2011, 10:01 AM

Post #4 of 15 (9131 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jrpierce] Damn phone extorters.

In Reply To
I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but I have yet to hear of anyone who has suffered any adverse consequences from blowing off these calls.

"MONTERREY, Mexico – Mario Ramos thought it was a bad joke when he received an anonymous email at the start of this year demanding $15,000 a month to keep his industrial tubing business operating in Monterrey, Mexico’s richest city and a symbol of progress in Latin America.

Sitting in his air-conditioned office looking across at sparkling office blocks dotting the mountains on that morning in January, he casually deleted the email as spam.

Six days later, the phone rang and a thickset voice demanded the money. Ramos panicked, hung up and drove to his in-laws’ house. It was already late and he had little idea what to do. Then, just after midnight, masked gunmen burst onto his premises, set fire to one of his trucks, shot up his office windows and sprayed a nearby wall with the letter “Z” in black paint, the calling card of Mexico’s feared Zetas drug cartel.

“They were asking for money I could never afford,” said Ramos by telephone from San Antonio, Texas, where he fled with his family the next day. “I should have taken the threat more seriously, but it was such a shock. I couldn’t quite believe this could happen in Monterrey.”
Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/...y.html#ixzz1OKM706YH

Bennie García

Jun 4, 2011, 11:14 AM

Post #5 of 15 (9114 views)

Shortcut

There have been radio spots running for the past few months telling people to:

Ante la extorsión telefónica, escucha, cuelga y llama al 088

Listen, hang up, call 088.

jrpierce

Jun 4, 2011, 11:35 AM

Post #6 of 15 (9102 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Casa] Damn phone extorters.

Interesting, Casa--thanks for posting that. I have certainly heard of businesses that have to pay protection or else have problems, and maybe that is an important distinction from private parties. RE the businesses I know about, in some cases it is neighborhood punks pretending to be cartel members, and in other cases it is actually cartels. But in the stories I've heard about that, the bad guys showed up in person.

Jim

jrpierce

Jun 4, 2011, 11:41 AM

Post #7 of 15 (9098 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] Damn phone extorters.

I don't listen to much radio, Bennie, so could have missed them, but here in Morelia I haven't heard the spots. Tell us more--is it the phone company, or the government who is running them. Do you know whether this is just to report the call, and/or whether any action is taken? Thanks.

Jim

Casa

Jun 4, 2011, 12:29 PM

Post #8 of 15 (9088 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jrpierce] Damn phone extorters.

It was an odd coincidence that I happened to read that article that came out this morning. I too thought it was interesting and it seemed appropriate to share. (IMHO the link is worth clicking to read the entire article)

I believe that phone extortion is more common with business because they have the means to pay. Interestingly enough schools have also been a target (burned and vandalized) when they don't pay the protection money, but then again here in Mexico they are often seen as a business as well.

The escucha, cuelga y llama programme that Bennie mentions has some statics but as usually they do not mean a whole lot (at least to me, 40 whole arrests have been made does not mention ANY convictions).

I thought this type of extortion was supposed to go away when we all had to register our cell phones...

esperanza

Jun 4, 2011, 3:42 PM

Post #9 of 15 (9054 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Casa] Damn phone extorters.

Two things:

1. The Mexican government has admitted that the registration of cellular phones was a huge mistake, a flop that turned into its own kind of extortion scam. Very shortly after registration began, printed lists of ALL registered cellular phone owners' data turned up for sale in Tepito, the premier neighborhood for stolen and contraband merchandise in Mexico City. Registration was discontinued a few weeks ago.

2. I received one of these extortion phone calls at home, just before I moved from Morelia to Mexico City. The male caller called me by name, said he had watched me return home in my light blue Atos about an hour prior to the call, and knew that my partner (whom he also called by name) was at home with me. He demanded several thousand US dollars be deposited to an Elektra bank account in Morelia or we would be kidnapped and killed. While I was on the phone listening to him, my partner called 066 emergency number from her cellular phone to report this call to our house phone. The 066 operator asked that we call 088, the extortion hotline. When I called 088, the person who answered the phone laughed at me, saying this type call was extremely common, that the calls always came from inside prisons, and that I should just ignore it. Easy for him to say. We had already rented our apartment in the DF, but this was absolutely the icing on the cake. Who needs that kind of stress!

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Jun 4, 2011, 3:44 PM)

tashby

Jun 4, 2011, 4:49 PM

Post #10 of 15 (9032 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Damn phone extorters.

Registration was discontinued a few weeks ago.

Interesting. I bought a new cell phone chip just a week ago, and the Telcel location called it in to register it (with my CURP # and my name, address, etc.). Guess the memo hasn't gone out yet, or it's trickling down.

Casa

Jun 4, 2011, 4:54 PM

Post #11 of 15 (9030 views)

Shortcut

Esperanza,

I am very sorry to hear about you receiving those types of calls. My spouse’s family has also received the calls in a neighbouring state.

I am aware of the cell phone registry being a BIG flop and my comment about the registry was my roundabout way of insinuating the 088 programme would be or is the same, a big flop. It is yet another programme that is used to tell/show the general public that the government has it under control and that they are doing something about it when the reality is quite different.

They way we handle it at our house:

1. Do not answer blocked or private caller ID calls

2. For unrecognised numbers always answer allô instead of bueno.

3. Then if the caller asks for me by my first and middle name instead of first and last name, which is often the case when people do not know me personally, then I only reply to them in French. (If it is someone that knows me they would obviously know that I speak Spanish.)

They usually get frustrated and hang up. Is this the best way to handle these calls? I don’t know but so far we have not only avoided extortion calls but also unwanted tele-marketing calls as well.

Thanks for sharing your personal experience with 088 it confirmed my suspicion.

(This post was edited by Casa on Jun 4, 2011, 4:57 PM)

Bennie García

Jun 4, 2011, 4:55 PM

Post #12 of 15 (9029 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Who needs that kind of stress!

Why do think it will be better in the DF?

My daughter was a resident of the DF for some time. During that time she was vacationing at our home on the Jalisco coast when she received a call of this kind. Butt brains said they were watching her and her husband and if they didn't pay up blah blah blah.

She laughed and hung up.

Rolly

Jun 4, 2011, 6:31 PM

Post #13 of 15 (9000 views)

Shortcut

Re: Damn phone extorters.

I have an even simpler solution -- I never answer the phone. In fact, the ringer is turned off.
My friends know they can reach me by Skype, e-mail or Facebook.
The only reason I have a phone is that it comes with the internet.
I must confess that I sometimes use it for outgoing calls -- doctor's appointments, etc

I'm really not a telephone person. I've never owned a cell phone or wanted one.
Many years ago, I got pissed at the phone company and went 7 years without a phone.
There was another 5-year period without.
I guess for most people that would be hard or impossible. I find it easy.

Rolly Pirate

happynz

Jun 5, 2011, 1:41 PM

Post #14 of 15 (8906 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Damn phone extorters.

My eight-year old piece o' crap mobile phone serves no function other than that of an alarm clock. The pre-pay service expired years ago. I do like the Vivaldi dee-dee-dih-dee-dee alarm so I keep it around.
Así pues...aquí estamos...

robrt8

Sep 21, 2011, 11:56 AM

Post #15 of 15 (5909 views)

Shortcut

Interesting that the extortionist would go out of the way to describe your car's color.
Do you think someone may have bought your registration info? Is your partner's name also on the registration?

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4