Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

stevenmex

Nov 4, 2002, 7:24 AM

Post #1 of 25 (5629 views)

Shortcut

Prodigy Infinitum

Can't Post |
Telmex's high speed internet DLS service is now available in Ajijic. I have signed up for it and wanted to let you know my experience. I called the 800 number in Mexico on Sunday the 13th of October and signed up for the service. Within a week Telmex was out at my house, installed the new lines, and connected up the service. Once they left, I finished my setup and have had high speed access since with no problems.

I received my phone bill for October and found that Telmex has credited my account with about 1100 pesos for the annual prepay on the old Prodigy service, charged me the monthly rental of 499 pesos and is charging me 499.83 pesos per month for 6 months for the cost of the dsl modem. Things could not be easier. I am now connected to the internet all the time at a speed of 256kb, my phone line is not tied up, and I am extremely happy. I will also able to disconnect my second phone line now since I no longer will have a need for 2 lines.

For the record, I do not use the prodigy mail service anymore since they did have problems with viruses and spam and I find it easier to use alternative services such as yahoo, hotmai, etc.

Steve

dmdean

Nov 5, 2002, 12:53 PM

Post #2 of 25 (5190 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevenmex] Prodigy Infinitum

Can't Post |
I signed up on Monday, connected on Wednesday, but had trouble installing via Mexico City, could not find anyone that spoke English to help, although I know they are there. Oscar at La Floresta Cyber Cafe came over and I was in business. Love it even if it is expensive!

stevenmex

Nov 5, 2002, 1:48 PM

Post #3 of 25 (5174 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dmdean] Prodigy Infinitum

Can't Post |
I do not think it really is that much out of line price wise in comparison to what you pay in the United States for DSL service.

Jeannie

Nov 5, 2002, 2:29 PM

Post #4 of 25 (5205 views)

Shortcut

That Price Can Not Be Right

Can't Post | Private Reply
You say:

monthly modem rental of 499 pesos ?

499.83 pesos per month for the dsl

That is roughly $100 US a month?? plus $15 US for IVA total of $115 a month?

I have Lagunanet Wireless. I paid $680 for the equipment and card and own them, I pay ONLY $118.50 US for 3 months and that included the IVA, and when or if I move I will sell the equipment.

Why on earth would anyone pay $115 a month to get the same speed I get on wireless? plus not own the equipment.

Lagunanet also goes from Riberas to Joco to across the lake.

I am totally confused by that. Are you sure those prices are right?

I just can't believe people would pay $115 a month!!

Uncle Jack

Nov 5, 2002, 2:32 PM

Post #5 of 25 (5162 views)

Shortcut

FYI

Steve;

I have cable service from Cableone.net here in Arizona. I pay $39.95 a month and that includes $5.00 for the modem rental. Like you I am on 24/7 and I have freed up the phone line. I don't check the speed every day, but I have never been on at less than 450k; usually about 468 or 469.

stevenmex

Nov 5, 2002, 2:59 PM

Post #6 of 25 (5166 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jeannie] That Price Can Not Be Right

Can't Post |
Dsl service costs 499 plus iva per month for the 256k service

There is a one time charge of 2999 plus iva which Telmex has divided into 6 payments of 499.83 plus iva for my convenience---This includes the modem and new wiring that was needed to the house from the street. I am not renting the equipment from Telmex--I bought it from them in the 6 payments.

therefor the service is costing in about $57.00USD per month and the modem and installation had a one time charge of $345.00USD that they have divided into 6 payments.

I hope that clarifies what I tried to say in my original message.

dmdean

Nov 6, 2002, 7:36 AM

Post #7 of 25 (5067 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jeannie] That Price Can Not Be Right

Can't Post |
With the peso at 10 to 1, a 499 monthly charge is way less than $100 US a month, more like $50. I have too many friends with the wireless and they have nothing but problems, in fact two have changed to the DSL, and have commented on how much faster this is than the wireless. Also wireless across the lake is iffy, particularly with the weather as it is now. Yes it cost a bit more, monthly but I am more than satisfied and do not think I am stupid as I factored all costs, problems (including prodigy problems), future advantages or disadvantages, etc. prior to going this way.

Roses5410

Nov 10, 2002, 4:53 PM

Post #8 of 25 (4936 views)

Shortcut

Hi...I have a question. Here is the states, I have High Speed Internet through our cable company and not DSL through the phone lines. Using the cable eliminates a few problems that pop up with DSL. Can one get internet service through the cable company there? I am not familiar with wireless, but assume the signal is sent through satellite?

We're coming to Ajijic for a visit in February...My husband and I are thinking of moving there in the next few years...I'm enjoying the forums...

-Kay-
I love taking pictures...check out my prints for sale @ http://Rosacalaca.dpcprints.com/

stevenmex

Nov 10, 2002, 5:56 PM

Post #9 of 25 (4907 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Roses5410] Prodigy Infinitum

Can't Post |
In Ajijic-Chapala our cable provider does not have internet access. You have 2 choices for regular internet access via modem, Prodigy and Lagunanet. For DSL service at 256K or 512K you have Prodigy available and for wireless access at either 128K oar 256K you have Lagunanet.

I Guadalajara there are more options including internet access via the cable company.

I hope this helps.

stevenmex

Nov 11, 2002, 8:46 AM

Post #10 of 25 (4853 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I just wanted to restate prices and sources of information for internet services here at lakeside. I converted all pesos prices to US dollars and included the IVA charge to facilitate comparisons. I hope that this provides you with the current information that I have been able to find.

Internet Services Lakeside:

Dial Up Services:

Telmex-Prodigy (source http://www.miembrosprodigy.com.mx/ )

56K, unlimited access , $22.00 per month or if paid annually in advance $173.00 per year

Lagunanet (source http://www.lagunanet.net.mx/ )

33K, unlimited access, $30.00 per month (I do think there also is a discount if you pay in advance)

33K, 60 hours per month access, $20.00 per month

Wireless Service

Lagunanet (Guadalajara Reporter (Nov. 9-15, 2002 issue)

128K, unlimited access, $37.00 per month

256K, unlimited access, $55.00 per month

Cost of equipment and installation—varies from a minimum of $150.00 to $580.00 depending on your specific equipment needs

DSL Service

Telmex-Prodigy (source http://www.miembrosprodigy.com.mx/ and Guadalajara Reporter (Nov. 9-15, 2002 issue)

256K, unlimited access, $58.00 per month

512K, unlimited access, $104.00 per month

Cost of equipment and installation--$345.00

happynmex

Nov 11, 2002, 7:26 PM

Post #11 of 25 (4796 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Prodigy is $1500P for a year which is about $12.50 a month.

Rolly

Nov 11, 2002, 7:38 PM

Post #12 of 25 (4795 views)

Shortcut

Re: [happynmex] Prodigy Infinitum

Interesting. Here in Lerdo, Dgo. I just renewed with Telmex for $1400 + tax = $1610 for a year. Looks like prices vary around the country.

Rolly Pirate

stevenmex

Nov 12, 2002, 5:17 AM

Post #13 of 25 (4784 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
According to Prodigy's website, the charge if paid annually is 1499.00 + 15% IVA which comes to $1723.85 and I used a conversion of 10 to 1 to come up with the 173.00USD annual charge.

If you pay monthly according to the web site it is 189.00 + IVA per month which comes to 218.00 per month and converts to 22.00USD

stevenmex

Nov 12, 2002, 5:21 AM

Post #14 of 25 (4787 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
You are right if you divide the annual payment into a monthly cost factor but you forgot to add the IVA which adds almost $2.00 per month to your $12.50 quote. But you only get this rate if you pay annually.

scott

Nov 18, 2002, 1:09 AM

Post #15 of 25 (4712 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Has anyone had any success using voice chat programs over Prodigy? If the DSL supported quality voice chat to Canada it might be worth the $3000 peso installation fee. Also, is it not possible to buy the equipment second hand to use with Prodigy, and get a lower installation charge?

esperanza

Nov 18, 2002, 5:24 AM

Post #16 of 25 (4702 views)

Shortcut

Re: [scott] Prodigy Infinitum

I use voice chat as well as an Internet telephone program on my plain ol' Prodigy dial-up service and have talked to people all over the world (on voice chat), who sound as if they are in the next room. Yes, there are occasional connection problems, but I believe those are inherent to voice chat and are not specific to the Prodigy connection. The Internet telephone program I use has improved over the course of the last 4 years to the point that it is almost always crystal clear and most often acts like an ordinary telephone call. I find that there is currently very little feedback or echo. I pay $9.95 per month for 1000 minutes calling time to the USA and Canada, plus 250 additional minutes to many places in Europe. The fees are billed to my credit card. They also have a plan that costs half that much and offers approximately half as much calling time; I believe that the less expensive plan does not include calling time to Europe. Look for them at www.iconnect.com. The program is called Deltathree.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Jeannie

Nov 18, 2002, 5:39 AM

Post #17 of 25 (4715 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Prodigy Infinitum

While it is true that people have no problem on dialup, wireless and DSL is another whole ballgame. A lot depends on what ports are closed on Prodigy's end and what ports you need to have open.

I am on wireless and although I can not get IConnect to work, I can get Dialpad to work.

Hopefully someone with DSL will be able to address this issue for you. DSL is costly enough, but if your Internet Phone is not going to work with it then your going to also need a dial up account.

scott

Nov 18, 2002, 3:39 PM

Post #18 of 25 (4661 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jeannie] Prodigy Infinitum

Can't Post |
The problem isn't the cost of the DSL service itself, I already pay for cable in another city. But I can't use any voice chat programs (that I've tried), because of my ISP's setup. And its causing some problems, thats why I'm interested in voice experiences with Telmex's DSL service. Dialup is not an option. As a heavy internet user, I had 546 billable local calls in my first month using dialup. Needleless to say $809 pesos for dialup is a hell of a lot more than I pay for cable, thats on 24/7.

pau

Nov 20, 2002, 11:13 AM

Post #19 of 25 (4632 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevenmex] Prodigy Infinitum on the "6 month plan"

Can't Post |
Do you know if TelMex will allow temporary stoppage of service like Laguna? I live here part time and like PI for it's portability if I should move some place else.

stevenmex

Nov 20, 2002, 12:53 PM

Post #20 of 25 (4635 views)

Shortcut

Re: [pau] Prodigy Infinitum on the "6 month plan"

Can't Post |
That is a question you would have to ask Telmex (Prodigy) here in Mexico.

RickS

Nov 29, 2002, 9:10 AM

Post #21 of 25 (4597 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I will be spending about 3 months in Ajijic beginning around Xmas. Does anyone know if the Infinitum DSL offering from Prodigy can be arranged for such a short timeframe (assuming it is available in Mirasol). I assume I would have to pay for installation and hardware, but will they even set it up for 3 months?

scott

Dec 2, 2002, 12:02 PM

Post #22 of 25 (4523 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Prodigy Infinitum

Can't Post |
This is Mexico, and you are talking about Telmex. You're looking at 3 months just to get the phone line installed, which DSL requires. Remember you "buy" a phone line in this backwards country, and previous tenants can take it with them when they leave. So seriously consider that you will be paying $4000 pesos to install the line, on top of the outrageous $3000 DSL installation fee, plus monthly phone & DSL usage fees. And then, I kid you not, it will cost you $750 pesos to disconnect the line. Telmex just did this to my family. Its because their billing systems are two months behind, and they wont let you disconnect unless you pay that money, because they have no way of finding how much you've accrued over the last two months.

Get cable instead.

(This post was edited by scott on Dec 2, 2002, 12:28 PM)

Alteño

Dec 2, 2002, 11:29 PM

Post #23 of 25 (4511 views)

Shortcut

Re: [scott] in this backwards country?

Can't Post |
Scott,

I kindly request that you stop denigrating and trashing my country. If you are unhappy with our way of doing things, well, the door is wide open all the time.

Not knowing the ropes in a different country will get you in UNNECESSARY and AVOIDABLE troubles, because you don't know how to do the things. Now, I have to set the record straight on a few of your baseless affirmations:

The availability of telephone lines depends on the demand for them, usually you have no trouble to get a phone line functioning in less than two weeks (or even less than a week) rural areas have more problems than urban ones.

You don't buy the phone line, you pay for the installation from the pole to your house. The line never becomes yours. Many years ago, when Telmex was a Government owned Company, they used to sell stock options to those who wanted them, it was not mandatory.

When you move, if you want a telephone line on your name at your new address, Telmex will charge you again for the installation, though they will charge you less because it is just a "change of address". If you don't make the "change of address", the new tennant at your former address can keep using the phone line you left on your name, simply paying the monthly rent, he doesn't have to pay installation charges unless he wants to have the line on his name, and even then he won't have to pay the full installation charge.

If you want to disconnect the line on your name and you don't give a 30 days previous notice to Telmex, they will ask you for a deposit to cover posible charges due to that pending bill. It's all in the service contract you sign. It doesn't cost you a peso to finish your phone service, you just have to know how to do it.

Like many other things, it's not because you are a foreigner, it is because you don't know how to do the things the way they are done in México. You seem to forget that you are in another country, don't expect things to be the way they are in your own country. Those foreigners who learn the ropes, have much less problems and enjoy México more. Instead of complaining for what they don't understand. I remember that in one of your posts you complained (one of your many complaints about México and Mexicans, the names Randy, Mabel, and Arbon come to my mind now) because your former Mexican girlfriend's parents didn't like you because you didn't addressed them in a respectful way. And you said it was nonsense to you. Well, you want a Mexican girlfriend? Learn how to relate to Mexican people. THIS IS ANOTHER COUNTRY with different ways of doing things, ALWAYS REMEMBER THIS. Or leave, that simple. No offense intended, just be smart, you don't like it? don't be masochistic!!. You like it? Welcome!.

scott

Dec 3, 2002, 2:21 AM

Post #24 of 25 (4515 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Old Bart] in this backwards country?

Can't Post |
Just because I bitch and whine online doesn't mean I hate the country.

Don't worry, I am a perfectly nice person, enjoying myself in Mexico. But I don't have a wife or an "Expat Support Network" to go talk to. I haven't spoken English, in real life, in well over a week. Y hablo tantito español.

Like many other things, it's not because you are a foreigner, it is because you don't know how to do the things the way they are done in México.

I am basing my Telmex experiences on those of my Aunt. She is Mexican. When I say I got billed for 546 local calls in one month, it was really my aunt getting billed, for my usage. Shes the one dealing with Telmex. I think she knows what she's doing.

When I asked her, my mexican aunt, to disconnect the line, she did not do it right away. She kept paying it until she could sell it. She had a "se vende linea telefonica" sign in the window, at my ex-landlords store. To me, if you can transfer phone lines between people, without the other person having to pay the $4000 charge to buy it from Telmex, this is considered buying and selling the lines. And selling the rights to the "line" is definately not the same as selling them the rights to the cable between the pole and your house. You can transfer lines between people, it totally different cities. This, of course, is based on my Mexican aunts explanation to me, and what I saw her do first hand, with the line I had installed in my place under her name.

I realize the charge to disconnect is a deposit. But trust me, we got rid of that line as fast as possible, under the circumstances. After I got the Internet by cable installed, and had no use for Telmex, we cut it off ASAP. I swear, 546 billable local calls in one month. And my aunt did not lose the $4000 peso fee to install the line, because she sold it to someone else (well she lost a little, but not all of it).

One month local calling charge of $809 pesos to connect to Prodigy, and a bunch of local voice calls, in one month. Plus $200+ pesos monthly fee for the phone itself. Plus how much does the Prodigy service cost per month?

Internet by cable in Morelia costs $275/month for 64k service, $370 for 128k. Installation is $490. Higher speeds are available. Also, if you pay another $300 pesos for the installation, it is my understanding that you get cable tv too, for the same monthly fee. I don't have it because I don't have a TV set (I would never spend my own money on a tv or cable, though I admit sometimes I go to my aunts house to watch Clase 406). Now, is this guy better to install DSL for 3 months, or get cable??? Ok so you're not in Morelia, but this should help you realize that Telmex is still screwing you big time.

I obviously like Mexico, or I wouldn't have come back to live after my first trip here. But, no, I am not impressed with how much money I saw my family give to this company. You don't think its wrong that it costs rich Canadians 0.23 cents a minute to call Mexico, and Mexicans, 53 million of which earn a whopping $3usd or less a day, $1.67 to call Canada? 10.71 pesos / minute on my aunts residential line, 5.x on the commercial line. It costs a residential line twice as much to call as a business. You don't think this is backwards? I do. Yes the line in question with the 546 calls was commercial. Maybe that is the difference here? Yes my line was commercial, not residential. I was living in an apartment, what I called an apartment, that was above a store. But Telmex considered it a commercial line, because technically it was commercial office space. Yes thats my own problem, I know. The only difference in cost though is that you don't get the 100 free calls. Nothing else is different, or more expensive. In fact, as I pointed out, the long distance on the commercial line was half the price as the residential line. But maybe this explains why we could sell it.

Btw, that 0.23 cents is what it costs with Bell Canada, the incumbant in Ontario, on one of their plans. And no my family doesn't use Telmex for long distance anymore, just in the first couple of months after moving into their new house. I don't know how you can defend stuff like Telmex charging your card at a payphone, when you get a busy signal. Thats just wrong.

And finally. In the name of not letting you make me look like I have no idea what I'm talking about.......

You brought up my ex-girlfriend, a Mexican, so I will tell you about her. Her father bought the house next to theirs, to rent, and he had been waiting a long, long time to get a line installed in that house. So there is an example for you, and we're talking a lot more than two or three weeks. She was not impressed with how fast we got ours (1 1/2 - 2 months). Again, this is Morelia, Michoacan. I don't know about Ajijic, maybe they support the expat communities better.

As far as Usted. I use it if I have to. I don't live with my aunt & uncle who live here too. I live with two old Mexican señoras. And I usted them all the time. I asked my aunt if she thought it would be ok if I tuteared them, and she said no I probably shouldn't. So, there you go, guess what in real life I do respect the customs etc. But I still enjoy coming online to discuss it. These old ladies, a señora and her aunt, actually usted each other. So I follow along, with custom. But I still think its wierd. Not to mention it confuses the hell out of me when people usted me...

And who are Randy Arbon and Mabel?

Now, I have to set the record straight on a few of your baseless affirmations

And for the record, that is not the way to end an argument. You are only encouraging the person to keep aruging right back. You're trolling as much as anyone else is.

scott

Dec 3, 2002, 2:38 AM

Post #25 of 25 (4512 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Old Bart] in this backwards country?

Can't Post |
Now, I have to set the record straight on a few of your baseless affirmations:[i/]

Secondly... Anything that I say here as some basis in fact. Its a fact that we bought and sold a telephone line. I would not say that if it didn't happen. Just like I wouldn't say our car didn't get a ruptured fuel line from bottoming out. I may have a bad tone online, but trust me, anything I say has basis in fact. I don't make anything up.

However, I may not have the details 100% straight. It was November 1 year ago when that happened to us. I can't remember what exactly we bottomed out on, but it sure happened on the highway to Ixtapa, outside of Nueva Italia. I just relate stuff, I might not know 100%, thats why it may sound sketchy, but whatever I say sure did happen. We bought and sold a phone line. Fine I suppose I forgot to mention it was commercial, but big deal. Don't call me a liar. That is essentially what you are doing. I am not lying. That may have been an oversight that the line was commercial, but don't turn aound and call me a liar. Politely explain, but by calling me a liar you are only encouraging me to waste my time defending myself.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4