Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

gailrooney1

Jun 1, 2011, 9:47 AM

Post #1 of 13 (4917 views)

Shortcut

My Mexican neighbor wants to sell Pre-Hispanic Art Collection

| Private Reply
This is a private collection, over 2,000 years old, Jade, etc. Will negotiate good price. Call: 376-765-5030

Bennie García

Jun 1, 2011, 10:08 AM

Post #2 of 13 (4907 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gailrooney1] My Mexican neighbor wants to sell Pre-Hispanic Art Collection

| Private Reply
I am pretty sure it is illegal to possess such artifacts.

Rolly

Jun 1, 2011, 10:11 AM

Post #3 of 13 (4906 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] My Mexican neighbor wants to sell Pre-Hispanic Art Collection

| Private Reply
I was thinking the same thing...to the point of debating deleting this thread.

Rolly Pirate

Bennie García

Jun 1, 2011, 10:18 AM

Post #4 of 13 (4900 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] My Mexican neighbor wants to sell Pre-Hispanic Art Collection

| Private Reply
A lot of people own them but they keep them in their homes. If you get caught with them on the street then you can get in big trouble. They supposedly belong to the nation.

gailrooney1

Jun 1, 2011, 10:47 AM

Post #5 of 13 (4888 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] My Mexican neighbor wants to sell Pre-Hispanic Art Collection

| Private Reply
Is this your "guess" or do you know it as a fact?

chinagringo

Jun 1, 2011, 10:56 AM

Post #6 of 13 (4885 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
A GOOGLE search provided numerous results. A quote from one article:
"A 1972 Mexican law limits private collections of antiquities. Collectors were permitted to keep pieces already in their possession at that time, if they registered them with the government. Anything excavated since then is considered the national property of Mexico. Exports of pre-Hispanic artifacts are banned."
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Bennie García

Jun 1, 2011, 5:06 PM

Post #7 of 13 (4835 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Is this your "guess" or do you know it as a fact?

Sell the stuff, I don't care. Chances are slim anyone gets in trouble. I have a great idea. Why don't you deliver them personally to the new owners?

BTW do you know for a fact these are authentic artifacts or are just taking your friends word for it?

(This post was edited by Bennie García on Jun 1, 2011, 5:07 PM)

tashby

Jun 1, 2011, 5:49 PM

Post #8 of 13 (4824 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I have a friend who was given a "Pre-Hispanic" piece from someone else she barely knows. I think he needed to give it to her just to get the memory out of his house. At the time, he thought he was buying it from a private collection. I'm sure he was thrilled when he purchased it.

It sits in some hidden corner of her garden. We both look at it and laugh.

"Is it from Samoa? Somewhere in Southern or Western Africa?" It so obviously has nothing to do with this continent, and equally isn't pre-anything. Definitely came from some Tianguis somewhere on the planet...

Good yucks.

Casa

Jun 1, 2011, 6:33 PM

Post #9 of 13 (4803 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] My Mexican neighbor wants to sell Pre-Hispanic Art Collection

| Private Reply
Could always try and sell it to a French auction house.....

"When a statue of a Mayan goddess obtained €2.9 million ($4.1 million) in Paris on Monday, it set a world record for a pre-Columbian artifact sold at auction. Made of colorful stucco, the goddess stands over five feet tall and has been dated to the classical period (550-950 A.D.). But now, Mexico has charged that the object is not a Mayan artifact at all but a clever fake..........................................................In a statement also signed by Mexico's foreign ministry, the National Institute of Mexican Anthropology and History charges that no less than 67 of the 207 lots from Monday's sale are "recently produced," including the Mayan goddess"

chinagringo

Jun 1, 2011, 7:03 PM

Post #10 of 13 (4789 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Casa] My Mexican neighbor wants to sell Pre-Hispanic Art Collection

| Private Reply
One can go to Tonala and pick up reproductions of pre-hispanic art and the vendors even admit that they are reproductions! Big deal, when it comes to artwork, half of the people out there have no idea if it is original or a reproduction. If one's ego is so large that they have to own an original, then have at it but I doubt that it will look any different.

When living in Mexico, one should probably abide by the history and the laws of the country!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Vichil

Jun 1, 2011, 7:08 PM

Post #11 of 13 (4786 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Casa] My Mexican neighbor wants to sell Pre-Hispanic Art Collection

| Private Reply
That is funny!

gailrooney1

Jun 2, 2011, 5:43 PM

Post #12 of 13 (4717 views)

Shortcut

Post deleted by gailrooney1 | Private Reply

gailrooney1

Jun 2, 2011, 5:47 PM

Post #13 of 13 (4715 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
PLEASE DISREGARD THIS AD. I HAVE COME TO BELIEVE THAT THIS MAY BE ILLEGAL. I have been helping my neighbor because he was being transferred to London and the company there kept delaying his move. I will never put another ad up for him, as I feel like I have been taken advantage of.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4