Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

sparks

May 30, 2011, 7:54 AM

Post #1 of 16 (5041 views)

Shortcut

Pool pump loses prime

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'm house sitting for awhile and altho I have a "pool guy" I still have to stay on top of what's up. We've got the cleanup an PH under control but this pump seems to lose prime every day. I have to pour about 3 pitchers of water in it before it gets going

I'm thinking of taking it off automatic for fear of ruining the pump and only running it when I'm here.

It's an above ground pump and 'pool guy' says better if it's at pool water level .... but many pumps around here are above ground.

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

whynotwrite

May 31, 2011, 3:46 PM

Post #2 of 16 (4986 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Pool pump loses prime

you are getting air into the system, check to be sure the returns, skimmers, etc. are all underwater. Otherwise look for a leak somewhere.

chicois8

May 31, 2011, 4:09 PM

Post #3 of 16 (4981 views)

Shortcut

On mine ( above ground ) there is a metal tag riveted to the motor and one thing it states is it is self priming ...if yours is not self priming it may need to be closer to water level like you pool guys says...

sparks

May 31, 2011, 4:20 PM

Post #4 of 16 (4975 views)

Shortcut

Re: [whynotwrite] Pool pump loses prime

Can't see the label but it's a new system so must be self priming.

Someone else suggested the one way valve just in front of the pump filter basket. No idea how to check and all the PVC is glued together

Pool lost another 2" today while running the pump 3 hours. The timer is definitely coming off to see if there is a non pressurized leak

(This post was edited by sparks on May 31, 2011, 4:24 PM)

morgaine7

May 31, 2011, 4:26 PM

Post #5 of 16 (4970 views)

Shortcut

Also, be sure the caps for the chlorinator (if any) and pre-filter are tight enough for the O-rings to form a seal, though they shouldn't be overtightened. You might want to check the condition of the O-rings themselves and add lubricant if necessary.

This is less likely unless it's a sand filter, but I was losing prime about three years ago, and it turned out that the gasket on the multi-port filter valve had deteriorated. The pool guy kept telling me nothing was wrong and I must be letting air in through the vacuum hose, but my regular plumber took apart the filter valve and found the problem.

Kate

sparks

May 31, 2011, 4:34 PM

Post #6 of 16 (4966 views)

Shortcut

Re: [morgaine7] Pool pump loses prime

No chlorinator and the filter basket (where I manually add water) gasket is OK. I just lubed it this morning before running.

The filter is a Jacuzzi sand filter but don't know the type of pump

morgaine7

May 31, 2011, 6:00 PM

Post #7 of 16 (4950 views)

Shortcut

Well, 2" in three hours is a huge amount. It sounds like the multi-port filter valve could be misaligned in such a way that some water is escaping where it shouldn't, maybe out the backwash or waste port to the drainage system? The water has to be going somewhere. With the pump OFF, try changing the position of the multi-port valve from filter to (say) backwash or rinse, then back to filter again to see if that changes anything when you turn the system back on.

Or I guess there could be a leak around the skimmer. You could try running the system with the skimmer valve turned off, so that only the bottom flow is working, then see if the water level keeps dropping after it gets below the skimmer.

Kate

sparks

Jun 1, 2011, 7:23 AM

Post #8 of 16 (4917 views)

Shortcut

This is gonna take time. I'll check with the owner but think she has been adding water daily for awhile.

Then there's the pump loosing prime every day

morgaine7

Jun 1, 2011, 8:57 AM

Post #9 of 16 (4901 views)

Shortcut

Pools in hot or windy climates lose water to evaporation, but not that much. I'm surrounded by desert, with summer temps often over 100, and don't lose more than about a centimeter in a day. In your case it sounds like the water loss happens when the pump is running, meaning the leak is pressure-related. When the pump stops, air could be getting in wherever water was being forced out. As whynotwrite mentioned earlier, air in the lines is the likely reason for the pump losing prime. In my case it was getting in around the damaged gasket.

You said the system is new, so be sure to ask the owner if it's still under warranty before messing around with it much. IMO the problem is likely to be the installation rather than the equipment, but ya never know.

This may help a little:
http://www.troubleshooters.com/...htm#Pump_loses_prime

Kate

sparks

Jun 1, 2011, 3:23 PM

Post #10 of 16 (4875 views)

Shortcut

One thing I don't care for much is she had 2" pipes running up to the roof for a solar heater. Trouble is they were on the outside of her wall and the neighbors starting building. Pipes had to go or be re-routed so they were just cut off leaving extra pipe footage (capped) on the out and in flow. She had this done a week before she left.

Don't know if air pockets in these unused pipe sections could contribute but I wish they weren't there.

By new I mean 2+/- years and I can't see anything to do anyway. Not sure who capped the pipes but if not the original installer it may have voided the warranty

sparks

Jun 24, 2011, 7:41 AM

Post #11 of 16 (4704 views)

Shortcut

Was the one-way check valve. Will be repaired tomorrow

YucaLandia

Jun 26, 2011, 9:21 AM

Post #12 of 16 (4638 views)

Shortcut

A friend eventually replaced the same check valve 3 times in 2 months, due to low quality. On valve #4, I went with him to find a better quality valve = not all check valves are equal. This is one item to not skimp on quality to save a few pesos.
steve
-
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

sparks

Jun 26, 2011, 2:36 PM

Post #13 of 16 (4613 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Pool pump loses prime

Don't know much about these plastic ones. I use brass in my house because street pressure is better than gravity .... when we have street water

Don Gringo

Jul 4, 2011, 4:54 PM

Post #14 of 16 (4508 views)

Shortcut

I might need to post a seperate post. I read the other posts though.
The pump keeps going and going. It sits on top of a tank I can only assume if for air pressure as the tinaco is underground a few feet away. I did notice that the air pressure sits at ablut 85psi. When we moved in it was 45-50. Can the pressure gauge be adjusted or, is there something else that can be done?
Lived for 35 months in Mexico. I feel like I paid my dues...

morgaine7

Jul 4, 2011, 8:48 PM

Post #15 of 16 (4486 views)

Shortcut

FWIW, my plumber insists that the plastic valves with blue handles are better than the ones with red handles. I think both kinds are made in China. The pool guy installed the red ones, and the plumber replaced them with blue ones. (This isn't a blonde joke.) ;-)

Kate

YucaLandia

Jul 4, 2011, 9:36 PM

Post #16 of 16 (4481 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don Gringo] Pool pump loses prime

Don Gringo,
Most Mexican plumbing only handles 20 - 40 psi. Air pressure in the tank is typically set to the minimum pump pressure (or 2-3 psi less than the minimum pump pressure). You adjust the pump pressure by changing the spring tensions in the electrical switch. You lower the air pressure in the tank by pressing down on the Schrader valve and raise the air pressure with a bicycle pump. Most home pumps sold here have a 5-7 psi working range. e.g. A typical home here has the pump set to come on at 25 psi and shut off at 30 psi or 32 psi, so, this system would have the air pressure set to 23-25 psi.

The plumbing in your home may be installed/designed to handle more than 50 psi, but many many Mexican plumbers make ad hoc glue-joints at home-made unions etc that leak when put under higher pressures, so, you run a risk of making leaks inside walls or under floors by adding a pressure pump with high pressures.

Give a shout if your pump continues to run after properly adjusting the electric cut-in/cut-out pressure switch and the air pressure. If you are unsure and want more detailed descriptions, you could check out this site: http://www.pumpsandtanks.com/faq_page.htm#air.
steve
-
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4