Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish

mazbook1

May 27, 2011, 5:42 PM

Post #1 of 5 (7378 views)

Shortcut

Learned a new word yesterday

Can't Post | Private Reply
I got a note from my cleaning lady that she was going to get something to take care of the mochomos. I had to do double back flips on the Internet to discover the meaning, and finally discovered it was a Spanish idiomatic word unique to northwestern México where I live. Anyone know what it means? Don't worry and DON'T spend a lot of time trying to find out like I did, as I'll post the answer tomorrow evening.

Rolly

May 27, 2011, 5:52 PM

Post #2 of 5 (7375 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Learned a new word yesterday

Red ants?

Rolly Pirate

norteño

May 27, 2011, 8:25 PM

Post #3 of 5 (7356 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Learned a new word yesterday

Took about ten seconds on a Google search.

mazbook1

May 28, 2011, 5:10 PM

Post #4 of 5 (7331 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Learned a new word yesterday

Rolly and norteño, Rolly is close, but no cigar. Here in Sinaloa they are ONLY the leafcutter ants that can strip a tree nothing but branches in just a night or two. Yes, I probably should have checked Google first, but my cleaning lady isn't the most educated person in the world, and she spelled it mochomas. After messing around will all my online Spanish-English dictionaries, then with the DRAE, I finally did the Google thing (without a result), but at least they did ask me if maybe I didn't mean mochomos. Then it took less than 10 seconds to get the answer, and the verification that it is a word used only in the northwest of México and only for the leafcutter ants.

YucaLandia

Aug 19, 2011, 2:02 PM

Post #5 of 5 (6790 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Learned a new word yesterday

Estamos Sayes, no mochomos.

Does your version have individuals with specialized duties, or are they like our utilitarian fellows?
They are all subterranean gardeners, but their colony organizations and sizes vary between different regions and different species.
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4