Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

esperanza

Jun 28, 2011, 3:20 PM

Post #51 of 65 (9455 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Favorite mexican sayings?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Sobre ruedas--that means 'it's rolling along'.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

jreboll

Jun 29, 2011, 3:39 AM

Post #52 of 65 (9402 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Favorite mexican sayings?

No es lo mismo "tapate las curvas chula" que "las curvas de Tapachula"

Maritsa

Jun 29, 2011, 6:28 AM

Post #53 of 65 (9387 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Favorite mexican sayings?

Okay. Makes sense. I think there is another one - "hasta mi gorro" (or gorra" that means I've had enough. Literally, it's up to my hat. Correct?

esperanza

Jun 29, 2011, 9:28 AM

Post #54 of 65 (9349 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maritsa] Favorite mexican sayings?

Yes, it's 'up to my cap'--not literally hat, it's a cap with a bill, or a baby's bonnet. Hasta la gorra would be like saying 'I've had it up to HERE' in English. Same expression as Javier Sicilia's hasta la madre, but a little less coarse.

Bennie García

Jun 29, 2011, 11:56 AM

Post #55 of 65 (9323 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maritsa] Favorite mexican sayings?

Then you have el gorròn

a la gorra ni quien le corra.

esperanza

Jun 29, 2011, 3:26 PM

Post #56 of 65 (9298 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] Favorite mexican sayings?

Ese gorrón me tiene hasta la gorra.

Anonimo

Jun 30, 2011, 2:10 AM

Post #57 of 65 (9253 views)

Shortcut

This is a fun thread. But shouldn't it be in the Learning Spanish Forum?

Saludos,
Anonimo

YucaLandia

Jul 2, 2011, 2:09 PM

Post #58 of 65 (9164 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rayitodeluna] Favorite mexican sayings?

Mas vale un mal arreglo que un buen pleito

— “It is better to reach a bad deal than to have a good fight.”

(A key difference between conflict-averse Mexicans and conflict-loving Americans?)
-
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

MejiJo

Sep 29, 2011, 8:13 AM

Post #59 of 65 (7532 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rayitodeluna] Favorite mexican sayings?

My favourite Mexican saying is "Es mi coco" - It's my coconut. When you have a difficult challenge ahead of you - it's your coconut (to crack.) Someone told me once this was a Mexican saying, but my Mexican friend in D.F. says he's never heard it. Has anyone? Regardless, I love it.

TxMex

Sep 29, 2011, 12:54 PM

Post #60 of 65 (7516 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Favorite mexican sayings?

No es mi culpa! It's not my fault!

LOL....I'm corrupting the new non-Spanish speaking waitress at our local Mexican food restaurant. I'm teaching her phrases to use with her Mexican jefe....this was last nights.

jerezano

Sep 29, 2011, 3:48 PM

Post #61 of 65 (7510 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] Favorite mexican sayings?

Hello all,

Strange but someone from Canada has told me that the International Keyboard is not available in the windows editions that are installed on their computers purchased in Canada. In that case look in the above thread for Rolly's simple add on program. I can't say anything about that program as I have never used it. All my computers have been purchased in the USA and the International Keyboard has been available since Windows 3.

Getting back on track with the original post about idiomatic sayings here in México, the José M. Pérez book mentioned above is written in Spanish. My edition, 3a, was printed in January 1983 and it cost me $32 pesos way back in 1988. It contains 288 pages including an index and a prologue. The index is an alphabetic listing (including the CH, the LL, but not the RR and there is no K. All sayings are indexed by the first word. The first saying in the book begins with Animal.... Also I have found that the sayings vary a bit with where you are. For example A la mejor cocinera se le va un garbanzo entero, here in Jerez, Zacatecas becomes A la mejor cocinera se le va un chile entero. Even the best cook will make a mistake. This saying is used as an excuse when somebody calls you up short for having made an error in something. Perhaps a simpler version is A la mejor cocinera se le queman los frijoles--Even the best cook will burn the beans.

Esperanza should like this saying. The title of the book by the way, Dichos, Dicharachos y Refranes Mexicanos can be translated as Mexican Witicisms, Wisecracks and Proverbs.

As ever, jerezano.

(This post was edited by jerezano on Sep 29, 2011, 4:16 PM)

TxMex

Sep 29, 2011, 6:30 PM

Post #62 of 65 (7495 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Favorite mexican sayings?

To type this ñ on a typical American computer simply go to your start menu and search for the 'character map'. Most any letter or symbol you can imagine is in that file.

Rolly

Sep 29, 2011, 6:54 PM

Post #63 of 65 (7490 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Favorite mexican sayings?

I had the International Keyboard on my computer for a while.
I got rid of it because I was annoyed by how it treats the quote mark (").
It did not provide any feature of interest to me beyond what AllChars does.

Rolly Pirate

jerezano

Sep 30, 2011, 7:02 AM

Post #64 of 65 (7459 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Favorite mexican sayings?

Hello Rolly,

I will have to try your favorite program for writing Spanish accents (tildes). I have never tried it because for twenty-three years the International Keyboard has served me well and faithfully. I need do nothing except hold down the alternate button and hit the key I want, ¿ ¡ ñ á é í etc. True I have to remember that after the comma , and the quote " I must hit the space bar or I get some character not wanted. or I lack a needed
space. And the ü and Ü which usually can only be written by going to the character map and typing alt plus a number on mumeric keypad, is available by simply holding the alternate button and hitting y. What could be easier?

I write a lot completely in Spanish as I translate newspaper articles into English for friends and neighbors, and I do the same from English into Spanish. Perhaps you do not do much writing in Spanish? I can't help but believe the necessity to load a special program to be able to do that takes unnessary time and effort.

as ever jerezano

(This post was edited by jerezano on Sep 30, 2011, 7:10 AM)

jerezano

Sep 30, 2011, 7:29 AM

Post #65 of 65 (7454 views)

Shortcut

Hello Esperanza,

You say:>>>>>>>>Mazbook1, what you posted about the 'Mexican government ordering that there be no accents on capital letters' is not the story I know. Unless you can quote me chapter and verse of the order, I'm sticking with what my Mexican friends have told me: back when type was set by hand, there was no room between the lines for an accent on a capital letter and people, including sign painters, simply picked up on what they saw in the newspapers. It's still pretty much the case. Upper case, that is: you still rarely see an accent on the capitalized letters of any written word<<<<<<<<<

A couple things need more clarity: (1) I do a lot of proof reading of old colonial documents both from Mexico and other Latin American countries for Project Gutenberg which is digitizing them for electronic preservation. Those old documents were all typeset by hand. They all have accents (tildes) many of different tyhpes than those used at present. So the lack of space between lines is not quite correct, even for capital letters.

(2) I alway thought, perhaps incorrectly, that with the advent of typewriters, all without the accented characters, Spanish speaking people writing documents, whether official or private, simply could not put the necessary tildes on the letters.

(3) As for the present, the use of accented Capital letters Á Í É etc is quite common in today's newspapers and Spanish books.

Does this help?

as ever jerezano
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4